PDA

View Full Version : 8 GPU SLI on 8 Core CPU system

Pages : [1] 2 3

Venturi
03-30-06, 09:22 AM
Trying to devise a way to get this to work

New project:
1 TYAN T8QE (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qe.html)
4 Opteron 285 (8 cores)
4 Single Slot SLI cards (2x the normal quad SLI )
64 GB of ram
8 of the 500GB seagate sata2 drives raided

The question

is it possible for me to get octa-SLI working for one single 2560x1600 monitor?

Can't find info on this.

I would try doing it with 4 regular SLI cards but that would only do SLI for two large monitors, it would not impart the processing power to one screen.

...endless persuit of Nirvana

Superfly
03-30-06, 09:41 AM
holly s**t Batman you are insane!!!!

As for getting it working, the 8 core CPU should be easy compared to the quad SLi.

TBH your question would suit the developer forums much more than here.

Venturi
03-30-06, 02:01 PM
Correction :

4 Opteron 885's

Sorry, habit calling them 285

jAkUp
03-30-06, 02:08 PM
OMFG thats awesome :D But I don't think it will work :(

$n][pErMan
03-30-06, 02:27 PM
That is by far one of the coolest things I have ever seen :D

Redeemed
03-30-06, 02:37 PM
Gee, think that'd be a fast enough rig? What is the purpose of it? Couldn't be just for gaming, could it? ;)

If you get it to work, send another equivalently setup system my way! :D :D

J-Mag
03-30-06, 02:52 PM
I could see a quad SLI with a quad dual-core system, but no way you can pull off an 8-way SLI system (First off where are you going to get the proper length SLI bridges?) Unless you have the ability to design your own hardware and drivers it isn't happening.

Ancient
03-30-06, 07:05 PM
You could contact these guys:

http://www.quantum3d.com/

They have equipment that can combine multiple channel video output into a single image. iirc, you can have up to the equivalent of a quad-sli system (as a single channel) x 8 channels - basically 32 GPUs.

Wouldn't be cheap tho.

ViN86
03-30-06, 07:15 PM
dont forget the matter of drivers. i mean quad sli is only offered (atm) through Asus's dual GPU cards and their own specific drivers.

also, dont forget to add a 1KW PSU or two to that bill ;)

FraGTastiK
03-30-06, 09:18 PM
Venturi are you receiving gifts from The Green Santa of Clara? (mikec) AND/OR are you Bill Gates?

j/k :D Hope you get it straight for that medical imaging purpose of yours.

snowmanwithahat
03-30-06, 11:51 PM
wow, you have more money invested in your current pc than i do in my car... that's an insane setup

Peoples-Agent
03-31-06, 01:38 AM
I think it's great, this sort of innovation that paves the way ahead.

Good work man, if you could keep us upto date on this project.... id beg for a sticky. Post some screenies too!!

nutball
03-31-06, 02:18 AM
Don't forget to fully populate the DIMM slots too -- 64GB of big memory loving(*)

(*) Which you'll have to boot into Linux to make use of :p

Buenamos
03-31-06, 02:53 AM
so ur going to upgrade this even when dx10 is just around the corner? I know you like to do this stuff for a fun or it's a hobby or whatever, but why do you need to upgrade now? Your system now is obviously amazing, I say you should wait for 8 G80's ;)

Venturi
03-31-06, 11:12 AM
let's not jump the gun, I'm still assembling

So far I have the the CPU's, half the ram, drives and some of the vid cards.

I'm redoing another case to fit the expanded board and I'm trying to get the dual power supplies to fit neatly in the same case. (850W each)

I'm hoping that I can get the quad sli cards, so far I've only located 1 pair, need another.

before I commit to the second set of Quad cards I need a blessing on drivers and connectors, still waiting for a response from Nvidia on the question.

otherwise, even with all the hardware in place it will not be able to send all that processing power to just 1 screen.

Don't need to run it to two screens, I know it can do that already.

My first ever project like this was running a pair of the dual Obsidian x-24 cards in 1 rig. That server could heat a gym in winter. Quantum sold it with a special cable called the "Medusa". First game that I got, that used all that hardware, was the original Unreal and the GLIDE API. Fun!

That was also my first game PC..... so long ago. Played the original Tomb Raider as well (with the nude-raider patch of course)

Well, presently I've solved power and space, now i need to wrestle the 8 GPU in tandem question.

I can currently populate all 4 16x slots, with the normal gtx cards, but my output is strictly for two monitors.

Purist......

Superfly
03-31-06, 11:26 AM
before I commit to the second set of Quad cards I need a blessing on drivers and connectors, still waiting for a response from Nvidia on the question.

I take it you have a good contact for getting answers to this sort of thing then?? - if not let me know and I'll pose the question for you.

Venturi
03-31-06, 11:40 AM
Unfortunatly I developed good contacts on procuring equipment, but only so-so contacts on the more esoteric scenarios (like the ones I live in). I have good resources on the workstation / Quadro fronts. But this has eluded their main area of expertise.

I understand that the connector issues but with 4 cards (2 sets of the quads) that connectors mate up OK, but it is not possible to run tandem 4 regular gtx cards.

In an earlier post, Quantum3d was mentioned, those guys would have known this inside out.

I really believe that a driver issue will be the reason why it won't work.

DaveW
03-31-06, 11:49 AM
What OS would you run for 8 cores? I thought Win XP Pro only supported two...

Venturi
03-31-06, 11:54 AM
Just like the signature:

Windows Enterprise Server 2003 64-bit

or

Suse 10 64-bit

or

Vista Enterprise Server 64 bit

Superfly
03-31-06, 12:35 PM
Unfortunatly I developed good contacts on procuring equipment, but only so-so contacts on the more esoteric scenarios (like the ones I live in). I have good resources on the workstation / Quadro fronts. But this has eluded their main area of expertise.

I understand that the connector issues but with 4 cards (2 sets of the quads) that connectors mate up OK, but it is not possible to run tandem 4 regular gtx cards.

In an earlier post, Quantum3d was mentioned, those guys would have known this inside out.

I really believe that a driver issue will be the reason why it won't work.

You should approach the focus group with such a project, they need people just like you.

PM me if interested I have a contact you might find very useful/helpful.

CaptNKILL
03-31-06, 01:31 PM
You know that computer would probably cost over $40,000 right? :p

PeterJensen
03-31-06, 01:53 PM
I want to be your lover...

Mr_LoL
03-31-06, 03:23 PM
You know that computer would probably cost over $40,000 right? :p
And it definately would not be going out of date anytime soon :eek:

TierMann
03-31-06, 03:42 PM
And it definately would not be going out of date anytime soon :eek:
Or atleast until the next dual gpu cards and quad-core AMD's come out ;)

Sazar
03-31-06, 03:43 PM
OMFG thats awesome :D But I don't think it will work :(

You're just jealous :cool: