PDA

View Full Version : A fix to the game being "overpowered" at later levels

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 10:05 AM
Ok so last night, I fired up Oblivion again. I'm sure you guys have heard from me the past few days how I hate this leveling crap they did to the game. I think I found something that fixed my problem(and hopefully others)

I am noticing ALOT of people are stealth type classes. This normally means you are using LIGHT armor(just like me). Anyway, last night I was pissed and frustrated with the game kicking my ass on default difficulty setting, so I decided to play dress up and hopefully level up my Heavy armor skill. My heavy armor skill was something pathetically low like 22 or something. Anyway, off to the dungeons in my new armor(most of which wasn't even magic, like ALL of my light armor is).

I get the to the dungeons and instead of getting my ass kicked like I thought would happen, THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED! I was beating down mobs like nobody's business. I was thinking to myself "this isn't right", so I checked the difficulty to see if it was in fact at default settings and it was. I RAISED the difficulty to about 75% and I was still doing good. I got close to dieing a bunch of times, but nothing I couldn't handle. I wanted to test more, so I switched back to light armor and needless to say I was dieing ALOT. My armor class is LOWER with heavy armor, but somehow I can handle hits ALOT better.

Anyway, bottom line. If you are getting beat down at higher levels, get rid of the light armor and switch to HEAVY armor. I don't know if light armor is glitched or what, but with a LOWER armor class and using HEAVY armor I am doing ALOT better. ;)

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 10:11 AM
Interesting...

And yes, I have noticed that everyone seems to want to use light armor because its "stealthy", but its light for a reason. It doesnt protect as much. My guess is that theres an entirely different set of combat stats for heavy armor, other than just a higher or lower armor rating.

I havent used any myself.

In fact, right now Im wearing an enchanted light armor apron as my cuirass because it protects as well as my mithril one... :|

EDIT: BTW, a master in light armor gets a 50% armor bonus I think. So that probably levels things out a bit later.

Oh, another thing you might be experiencing tyger. If ANYTHING you have has any shield powers, that adds to your armor rating. Say you would have a normal rating of 21 but you have a helmet that has an additional 50% shock shield attribute. You'll get a boost of probably 10 on your armor rating. So your armor rating would be 31, but only 21 of that is actually "real" physical protection... I dont know if thats exactly how it works, but thats how the armor rating is displayed when you have a shield power on something. It really threw me off when I was upgrading my equipment.

This might be why you are getting a lower armor rating on your un-enchanted heavy armor but noticing more protection... its possible that a good portion of your light armor rating is magical damage protection, not physical.

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 10:18 AM
In fact, right now Im wearing an enchanted light armor apron as my cuirass because it protects as well as my mithril one... :|
Hah! I have that same apron I bet! The one you get from the painter right? Thats what I use to use. :D

Try out heavy armor, even if you have lower armor class in the heavy armor still use it. I think you will be surprised.

BTW, heavy armor doesn't make you anymore stealthy if you are at least a journeyman in sneak.

Superfly
03-30-06, 10:23 AM
I play as a VERY Heavy fighter, and have spent several thousands training my Heavy armor skill upto Journeyman, Blade and Block are also @ Journeyman level.

I use a mixture of enchanted and steel heavy armor.

playing on default difficulty and I seriously kick ass!! - TBH I was wondering why others were having such problems with "simple" fights.

Perhaps your right - maybe light armor is just too light??

anyways - a Crusader born under the signof the warrior is the way forwards, unstopable death machine!!!!

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 10:27 AM
I play as a VERY Heavy fighter, and have spent several thousands training my Heavy armor skill upto Journeyman, Blade and Block are also @ Journeyman level.

playing on default difficulty and I seriously kick ass!! - TBH I was wondering why others were having such problems with "simple" fights.

anyways - a Crusader born under the signof the warrior is the way forwards, unstopable death machine!!!!
I really do think Light armor is glitched. When I wear light armor, my armor class is in the 30s(i don't remember exactly what it is). When I am wearing heavy armor, my armor class is only 21 due to my extremely low skill. Still somehow I am doing good with this "low" armor class. Weird.

BTW, where can i go to train in heavy armor?

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 10:28 AM
I really do think Light armor is glitched. When I wear light armor, my armor class is in the 30s(i don't remember exactly what it is). When I am wearing heavy armor, my armor class is only 21 due to my extremely low skill. Still somehow I am doing good with this "low" armor class. Weird.
Check the edit to my post above, that might offer an explanation :)

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 10:32 AM
Check the edit to my post above, that might offer an explanation :)
Yes I actually checked this too.

However, the only Item I have that has a certain percent "magic shield" is in fact my Shield. The shield I have always used is heavy armor(even when wearing light armor). It has 25% reflect damage, but like I said, i use it with both armor sets.

Superfly
03-30-06, 10:43 AM

BTW, where can i go to train in heavy armor?

Go too "The Best Defence" in the Imperial City - the guy on the right hand counter in the shop is a Heavy Armor Trainer.

Its cheaper than you might think and turns you into a serious fighter!!!!

I'll post a screenie of my armor stats in a mo.

Superfly
03-30-06, 11:01 AM
how do I take screenies?? - I've enabled the setting in the .ini but cant find the shot??

OWA
03-30-06, 11:04 AM
It should be in the My Games\Oblivion folder or the install directory. I can't remember now which one it got written to when I tried it but it was one of those.

Superfly
03-30-06, 11:09 AM
is it the print screen button??

OWA
03-30-06, 11:09 AM
It should be in the My Games\Oblivion folder or the install directory. I can't remember now which one it got written to when I tried it but it was one of those.
I can't seem to edit my other post so...

If it works, you should see a line (in the upper-left I believe) appear briefly in the game saying it saved the file.

OWA
03-30-06, 11:10 AM
is it the print screen button??
Yes.

Hmm, I can't seem to edit my posts for some reason. I tried to add the answer to the other message.

Superfly
03-30-06, 11:15 AM
not working :-(

I have ballowscreenshot=1 set in the .ini and im pressing printscreen in game - no little message in the corner of the screen though??

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 11:21 AM
I've heard some people say they cant get the game to take screenshots unless they have HDR enabled... are you using HDR?

Superfly
03-30-06, 11:26 AM
nope?? hang on i'll try that.

EDIT: that worked, excuse the red stats im in need of a church!!

OWA
03-30-06, 11:30 AM
I've heard some people say they cant get the game to take screenshots unless they have HDR enabled... are you using HDR?
If true, that may be why it worked for me since I had HDR enabled. I wonder why that is needed though?

CaptNKILL
03-30-06, 11:50 AM
Maybe its to prevent people from taking crappy looking non HDR screenshots :D

Tygerwoody
03-30-06, 11:55 AM
Maybe its to prevent people from taking crappy looking non HDR screenshots :D
so thats why Xbox360 can't take screenshots ;)

zoomy942
03-30-06, 03:10 PM
if there was heavy armor that offered the bonuses that the dark brotherhood shroud offered, i would switch...

EDIT: wow, your agility is low:) just kidding... mine is at 80-something, but i am a deadly assasin... not a sword weilding hunk-of-meat:)

Superfly
03-30-06, 03:20 PM
if there was heavy armor that offered the bonuses that the dark brotherhood shroud offered, i would switch...

EDIT: wow, your agility is low:) just kidding... mine is at 80-something, but i am a deadly assasin... not a sword weilding hunk-of-meat:)

yeh im still low level as well.

Superfly
03-30-06, 03:23 PM
hehe, Just found a Quest to get me upto Master @ Heavy Armor.

I found a retired Master and he wants me to find his girlfriend some silver cups in exchange for further training!!

Nutty
03-30-06, 05:22 PM
Theres 2 ini files. Theres a default one in the games directory. Thats the wrong one. You sure you're editing the one in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Edited the wrong ini file myself trying to allow screengrabs.

And yeah, I'm a barbarian class, with major skills in blade, block, heavy armour etc... The only things I've had trouble with soo far, are the Ghosts in the haunted 5000g house in Anvil I bought. Thats only cos the only weapon I have that damages them is a bound-dagger.

StoNer
03-30-06, 05:36 PM
Might as well take advantage of the heavy armor even on an assassin/thief type.

Bethseda made it so heavy armor sneaks as good as light armor does.

Why? Who the hell knows, it might be changed in future patches but I doubt it.

killahsin
03-30-06, 05:36 PM

wait till you get your block and blade at expert. Heh the combat becomes seriously sick. hint always hold down block even while you attack.