PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pauses?

SadExchange
03-30-06, 03:13 PM
Does anyone else have moments where the game pauses for a good 4-6 seconds sometimes? I don't believe it has anything to do with framerate because when it does it is, I'm still getting around 25-30 FPS easy. Does anyone know why this might be happening, the only programs I have running the background are my anti-virus, among other windows programs and then ATT. Can anyone explain why this might happen. It's not a whole lot, but every so often?

J-Mag
03-30-06, 03:29 PM
Does anyone else have moments where the game pauses for a good 4-6 seconds sometimes? I don't believe it has anything to do with framerate because when it does it is, I'm still getting around 25-30 FPS easy. Does anyone know why this might be happening, the only programs I have running the background are my anti-virus, among other windows programs and then ATT. Can anyone explain why this might happen. It's not a whole lot, but every so often?

Yeah it happens to me on occasion, sometimes I think that my machine just crashed, but then everything starts moving again. ( I am using 84.25's with a 7800gtx SLI rig)

SadExchange
03-30-06, 03:30 PM
Exactly, I have a 9800 XT 256 MB with the Omega 6.3. Anyone else having this problem, or notice these pauses?

How often do you have them?

I didn't have them when I first started playing.

J-Mag
03-30-06, 05:27 PM
Exactly, I have a 9800 XT 256 MB with the Omega 6.3. Anyone else having this problem, or notice these pauses?

How often do you have them?

I didn't have them when I first started playing.

I haven't played in a couple days but I played a solid 6-8hrs each day on the weekend. I would say it happend 4 or 5 times total. Although I did get a couple crashes mixe din there too...

I doubt this has anything to do with it, but: What sound card are you using?

de><ta
03-30-06, 05:29 PM
Starting to happen to me too. Didnt have that before.

SadExchange
03-30-06, 07:20 PM
Right, I didn't have it in the beginning either. I'm using a Creative Soundblaster SB Live 5.1 if that matters. I didn't have it probably for the first 40 hours of playing it, just happening in the past 5.

Glad to know that others are having the problem and that it's just not me.

nrs421
03-30-06, 10:40 PM
been happening to me as well...it's gotten a bit worse now....sometime when i am playing and it has to load a new area the game will die and exit back to windows

J-Mag
03-31-06, 12:15 PM
Glad to know that others are having the problem and that it's just not me.

Misery Loves company, eh?

I have seen some claim that these issues can be cause by the ffdshwow codec pack (which I did have installed at one point, but uninstalled before even installing oblivion). It is uspposedly relates to the mp3 codec...

I have a SB X-Fi music, if that makes a difference...

SadExchange
03-31-06, 02:00 PM
Misery Loves company, eh?

I have seen some claim that these issues can be cause by the ffdshwow codec pack (which I did have installed at one point, but uninstalled before even installing oblivion). It is uspposedly relates to the mp3 codec...

I have a SB X-Fi music, if that makes a difference...

Where would I find this ffdshow codec to uninstall it?

J-Mag
03-31-06, 02:04 PM
Where would I find this ffdshow codec to uninstall it?

In add/remove programs... However it won't be there if you didn't install it in the first place :p

SadExchange
04-01-06, 10:00 PM
In add/remove programs... However it won't be there if you didn't install it in the first place :p

Yeah, I don't have that. Has anyone else figured out why these pauses might be happening?

nV`andrew
04-01-06, 10:21 PM
overheating soundcards? :p

SadExchange
04-02-06, 01:43 PM
Would this make a dramatic pause during gameplay? And if so, how would I go about making it cooler? I personally have never heard of a sound card overheating so I'm a little in the dark on what to do. I can't underclock the sound card can I? That may sound a little silly, but I just don't know what to do and I don't want these pauses. Has anyone figured out a fix?

Also wanted to say thanks again to the two guys who made the long distance area look great. Phenomenal work guys!

thepiecesfit
04-07-06, 02:50 PM
Its your video card, open it up and clean all the dust out. I just got this game and was experiencing the same thing. 4-5 second pauses almost every minute. I cleaned out all the dust off the heatsink and fan ( aka tons of dust bunnies) . And now i havent gotten one pause since.

Superfly
04-07-06, 03:30 PM

or from the codec list, which also allows you to set priority.