PDA

View Full Version : Graphics distortion in games

AlexL
03-30-06, 03:47 PM
Hello.

I have problems with many 3D games. The problem is that several minutes (or several hours) after I begin to play, I get severe artefacts of the image.

Here are some examples of the problem I have:
http://www.geocities.com/alexl1118/Battlefield-2_Graphics_problem_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/alexl1118/Battlefield-2_Graphics_problem_02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/alexl1118/Dungeons-and-Dragons-Online_Graphics_problem_01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/alexl1118/AutoAssault_Graphics_problem_03.jpg

The screen goes into random triangles and lines (which are probably sort of thin triangles). Reboot of the computer always helps, but for several hours, or minutes, or seconds - depends on a scene.

Updating drivers from NVIDIA site does not help: the problems remain with any of the newest versions.

- Graphics card: GForce 6600 GT TDH from Leadtek.
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz.
- DirectX version is v9.0c.
- Motherboard: MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547) with the latest BIOS update (v1.9);
- North chipset bridge is SiS 645, and updating its driver to v7.2.0.1170 (downloaded from MSI site) did not help.
- Nor CPU, neither graphics card do not have overclocking.
- There is no overheating of the graphics card: the maximal temperature does not go above 70 degrees C. I checked all fans, and even added two more (near the back wall of the case, and near the hard disks - in the past they were suffering from overheating).

The same problem I have in Call of Duty 2 game. I mention this separately because this game has option to play using DirectX v7. But this option also does not help - the problems remain.

I tried to complain to NVIDIA - they suggested to complain to Leadtek.
I tried to complain to Leadtek - they suggested to complain to the selling agent.
I can't complain to the selling agent, because I bought the card in other country, where I travelled during my vacation.

I looked through all pages of FAQ and Knowledge Base on NVIDIA site. There is probably a similar issue there, it is called "Artifacts appearing in DX games with the GeForce 6600 GT AGP". But the solution suggests to use "new driver 67.03" from 01-Dec-2004, while I'm currently using much more updated drivers (8x.xx).

I looked through nV News Forums. It seems to exist a similar thread ("BF2 textures or graphics stretch across screen"), which was initiated by "-eK-LostSoul" on 27-Feb-2006, and where I tried to participate, but I did not find any helpful solution there.

Regarding BIOS of the graphics card - I can't find any update. The site of Leadtek shows two BIOS-s for my A6600 GT TDH card (one for VIVO, and other for HDTV version), but trying to burn them leads to error message from NvFlash, such as:

Firmware image Board ID (4327) does not match adapter Board ID (431E)

because my card is nor VIVO, neither HDTV. I tried to download various BIOS-s from Leadtek FTP site, but none of them has 431E signature. So I only succeeded to read and reburn my current BIOS (which means that in general I'm able to update the BIOS - provided I have the suitable one).

I would appreciate your help about how to solve these graphics problems.

Thank you.

shabby
03-30-06, 05:58 PM
Try lowering the core/mem speeds, i think the board is pooched.

AlexL
03-30-06, 06:12 PM
Try lowering the core/mem speeds, i think the board is pooched.Yes, I tried (via RivaTuner v2.0 RC 15.8). When the problem was happening with normal speed, I <Alt><Tab>-ed to RivaTuner, lowered one of the speeds as much as possible, and tabbed back to the game. It did not help - the distortion did not disappear. I tried to lower both of the speeds separately. And when I saw that the distortion stays, I returned the speed values to their normal ones.

Richteralan
03-31-06, 12:31 AM
I see these kind of distortion in Oblivion.
But 3DMark05/06, UT2K4, RTHDIBL have zero distortion.

Sometimes its maybe game's problem.

xorbe
03-31-06, 04:01 AM
you probably need to restart the game after lowering the clocks?

Superfly
03-31-06, 04:24 AM
nothing to do with your clocks, this is a known issues with the SIS chipset's.

nothing you can do other than try the 1.21 sis AGP driver.

67.03 was a half fix from NVIDIA but the issue remains and TBH will continue to remain as its SIS's fault not NV's.

sorry to bring bad news but its new mobo time.

AlexL
03-31-06, 09:13 AM
I see these kind of distortion in Oblivion.
But 3DMark05/06, UT2K4, RTHDIBL have zero distortion.

Sometimes its maybe game's problem.Of course, its maybe the games problem. But in my case, almost all 3D applications suffer from this problem. Including Oblivion and 3DMark05. (I did not try UT2K4 and RTHDIBL.)

Edit: nothing to do with your clocks, this is a known issues with the SIS chipset's.

nothing you can do other than try the 1.21 sis AGP driver.

67.03 was a half fix from NVIDIA but the issue remains and TBH will continue to remain as its SIS's fault not NV's.

sorry to bring bad news but its new mobo time.Thank you, I'll try v1.21 for SiS.
Do you know where I can read some details about this? E.g., proofs of SiS fault, and not of NV.

Superfly
03-31-06, 09:17 AM
its not the games, check my prev post.