PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to the PC Gaming market?

Pages : [1] 2

aAv7
03-31-06, 12:19 PM
So I went to the mall today, my grandfather has been ill, he's coming home from the hospital today, I need to help him get home and all, so I took the day off work, he wont be coming home till this afternoon so I decided to go to the mall and run through the local ebgames and gamestop, looking for chronicles of riddick since ive yet to play it, and have a sapphire x1900xtx that will be here tomorrow.

So anyways, I go to gamestop, it's been a while...been doing most of my pc gaming purchases at best buy or circuit city lately, and man, all the pc games were thrown in a bin, tossed in a far dusty corner, and looked more like one of those clearance bins with the comic/video game toys no one buys that are marked down to $1.99. :thumbdwn:

So since we have one of those retarded malls with both ebgames and gamestop at seperate ends competing with....itself since the merger...lol....I go into ebgames...same sh*t!!! All the games were sloppily thrown into a bin and pushed into a corner no one shops near.....:: sigh ::

Microsoft last year, said, its waiting until vista to support pc gaming again, pay advertising dollars, and pay for premium shelf space, and promises to push it as hard as the xbox360. Well if you ask me that's waiting too long. The market has become pitiful. And with vista being delayed until Q1 07 at earliest now...that means these marketing dolars and huge advertisements are being pushed back as well.

I'm sticking with best buy/circuit city from now on. Not because i'm so anal about the situation, but because when I shop there, with the way they give pc games massive shelf space, i'm fooled into thinking the market is still healthy and my favorite hobby isnt fading into the sun.

And while I know pc gaming will always be around. I cant help but sigh, everyone expects pc gaming to be a blockbuster punch and become as competitive as consoles, but it was never about that, it was about being an enitrley open ended, mature themed, alternative to the kiddie consoles of yester year.

Developers keep shoving half assed ports into the pc market and wonder why it doesn't sell. Make something unique, use the abilities and flexiblitiy pc gaming can have.

Where are the games like Harvester? D? Diablo?

Remember when EVERYONE with even a remotely decent pc had at least ONE pc game gem? Like somebody that was strictly consoles still went out and bought doom in 93 or diablo in 96 because it was that killer app.

We dont have that anymore. The killer apps are too few and far between. As is the creativity and chance to do so many different things consoles limit developers to. And now because of weird expectations, this great hobby is fading off shelves and being abandon by way too many developers. I really hope micrsoft sticks to its word and gives pc gaming that advertising injection.

More importantly, I hope they can lure in developers and make good use of vistas capabilities and dx10's functionality and ease of use for them.

And then I hope they dont go and make doom 4 with all that, and give us something...well...different. ;)

|MaguS|
03-31-06, 12:22 PM
God I hate stupid rants like these... one shows up every couple of months along with the "PC Gaming Scene is Dying/Dead!" threads...

Consoles bring more money so developers move over to them... end of story. PC Gaming will always be around but Consoles are taking the priority.

aAv7
03-31-06, 12:25 PM
That's really not my point Crank. :p

I'm more saying our industry is shooting itself in the foot.

Pc gaming was never about competing with the console market, but it had a great underground following, if you will. And what im saying is even THAT seems to be whanning away.

|MaguS|
03-31-06, 12:29 PM
In the past PC Gaming was never in direct competition with the Console Market because PCs were years more advance then consoles. I mean we were playing 3D games on PCs before consoles even though about it. Today its different, most games can be made easily for consoles and PCs so developers focus on the one that brings the biggest profits.... consoles.

The underground market (mods) is slowing down due to the constant shift in it. With HL1 and Q2 there was nothing else for modders to work on, but now they have a new engine to work with every month...

In all honesty, If you consider yourself a gamer you will not limit yourself to a single system to play games on. There are AAA titles on all systems, some exclusive others not but being closed minded because "I can't play with a joystick" or "The jaggies are ugly!" will make you lose out on some of the greatest games to be released in the last ten years.

Tygerwoody
03-31-06, 12:33 PM
I don't think he's trying to say PC gaming is dieing, but rather that we need another store to look forward to instead Gamestop. Gamestop is and always will be a console fanboi company. They took over EB, and did the same thing. I really don't see why anyone is surprised.

So... anyone wanna start a PC Gamestore Chain with me? :D

aAv7
03-31-06, 12:43 PM
In the past PC Gaming was never in direct competition with the Console Market because PCs were years more advance then consoles. I mean we were playing 3D games on PCs before consoles even though about it. Today its different, most games can be made easily for consoles and PCs so developers focus on the one that brings the biggest profits.... consoles.

The underground market (mods) is slowing down due to the constant shift in it. With HL1 and Q2 there was nothing else for modders to work on, but now they have a new engine to work with every month...

In all honesty, If you consider yourself a gamer you will not limit yourself to a single system to play games on. There are AAA titles on all systems, some exclusive others not but being closed minded because "I can't play with a joystick" or "The jaggies are ugly!" will make you lose out on some of the greatest games to be released in the last ten years.

I see your point but I don't think your understanding mine.

I totally agree with you, there have been and always will be some great games on consoles, you cant limit yourself for sure. But my point is, when I turn on the rig and look at my desktop icons......90% of it can be played on console, the other 10% is rubbish that shouldnt even be on my hd. I look in the bins and see all those pc games are `in the console section... doom 3, quake 4, bf2.

We need more games like WoW, where we have some exclusivity, and at the same time get to use certain functions like downloadable maps, skins, etc that consoles are barely scratching the surface on now. But most of all....games that arent a chore to play, and wow definatley is not a chore. =)

PC Gaming was always about creativity, not 3d graphics, just putting out fun sh*t that you wouldnt get anywhere else and quite frankly couldnt be made on any other platform whether for the sake of it being to adult themed or just economical suicide on a console.

Developers seem to just play it safe these days, and it's slowly killing any momentum this hobby had, from within, not against consoles.

Edge
03-31-06, 01:21 PM
I don't think he's trying to say PC gaming is dieing, but rather that we need another store to look forward to instead Gamestop. Gamestop is and always will be a console fanboi company. They took over EB, and did the same thing. I really don't see why anyone is surprised.
If you honestly think that retail chain stores' corporate management is made of "fanbois", then you really don't know what you're talking about. They don't care what platform a game is on, or what reviews it gets, or what a bunch of platform fanboys say about them. They simply stock and give priority to games that sell well. If a game doesn't sell well, no matter what platform it's on, then they aren't going to give it attention. It's as simple as that. I find it funny when people say it's "unfair" when these stores give priority over to certain games and systems over others. Yeah, those stores sure are bastards for not stocking many Gizmondo games! How dare they ignore a gaming platform!

And watch it fail miserably? No thanks.

nekrosoft13
03-31-06, 01:34 PM

PC games sales are fine, allot more games are sold online

Slybri
04-03-06, 02:47 PM
I agree with the OP that places like Gamestop are neglecting the PC games, but it's just business. They have tiny retail spaces and don't stock much of anything. Most of the space is used games. It's the stupid preorder system they use so they can charge you to buy the game from them without having to stock 10 copies. I always end up getting it from Bestbuy anyways, because the actually have the game in stock when it releases and I don;t have to preorder it. They can afford to order lots of copies of hit games and a few copies of more underground games (X3:reunion, Silent Hunter 3). I've never gotten a preordered game from Gamestop before it was on the shelf at Bestbuy. What they really need is BIGGER game stores so they can stock more.

As for the dearth of hit games on the PC, I think you're wrong. Look at World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Civ IV, FEAR. All those games were PC only and they still continue to sell well.
And games like Half Life 2 and Doom3 were huge hits for the PC but the console versions tanked.

I do agree that the PC games industry is lacking a bit as of late. Look at Oblivion, where the PC game's UI was clearly designed for the xbox. Perhaps things like DX10 and the PhysX card will bring new life to the PC as a game platform. I do hope that DX10 and Vista will make for superior PC specific games and not easier to make ports of 360 games. We're all gonna have to buy new DX10 cards though.

PaiN
04-03-06, 02:54 PM
Gamestop bought EB....Gamestop is and as always been pro-console. I just spoke with the manager of my local EB and he said GS is making him take the PC Game section off the wall.....and move it to a stand in the back of the store..... :(

RAY16
04-03-06, 03:07 PM
I buy 90% of my games at GoGamer.com. The other 10% are from BestBuy or Bookmans (used games). I've never been in an EB games or Gamestop in my life, although I have been to Software Etc. and Funcoland (before they got bought out).

johnkeel105
04-03-06, 04:35 PM
Several years ago you could actually go into EB games and find older games or what you would call bargain bin gems. Now you cant find nothing but the lastest titles over the last 2-3 years sitting on a stand in the middle of the store. PC games used to take up 2 walls then that went to one and now its on a cart. I mean honestly pc gaming is still very popular.

Marvel_us
04-03-06, 04:52 PM
Yup. When I went searching for a copy of Oblivion my local EB moved all the pc games to some bin on the floor. The manager told me I was one of the few that actually buys pc games on release.

Only good thing about that is I let him know which I want and he puts my copy off to the side lol.

Son Goku
04-03-06, 05:17 PM
This is the same thing I've noticed, PC games going from one long wall (the store definitely wasn't a square in shape) to taking only 1 shelf. Used PC games also went bye, bye (though that might have more to do with software listensing, so unknown on that one)...

Also, the one Game Stop that had a fairly large store, it's closing, though might have no other ulterior motives then the mall being re-done... The new store might be smaller though, will have to see. The EB in Coronado center (mall) is way to small though. The games are stacked so high that one can't really see them easily on the top shelf (and being 5' 10", yeah I'm not that tall, but not exactly short either), and the way the light shines down on them glossy covers washes it out unless one's standing a ways back. Customers also climb over each other, as people are constantly getting in each other's way. Same goes with customers and sales clerks, as no one really has enough room to walk around.

On the PC gaming side, with the PC games there being relegated to a rack, places like CompUSA, Best Buy, and the like have become better. In addition to not having a match box store where everyone trips over everyone's feet if more then 3 or 4 customers get in there at a time, they also have rather large computer software sections, that include isles of computer games. Heck, even Wal-Mart includes more PC games then EB or Gamestop. Moral of the story though, if one wants PC games, just go to one of these stores, and get the consoles at the above 2. Otherwise, when going in, try to go late at night when fewer people are around. Seriously...

DX 10 and Vista probably will bring something for devs to play with. And it isn't like all the new features in Vista will be readily found on the crop of consoles just comming out. What remains to be seen is what DX10/Vista will add, and what among it game devs will find enticing. Until then, things might remain in a bit of a lul, as people are waiting to see what Microsoft does, and from there what hardware will be released to exploit the new OS's features upon release...

Marvel_us
04-03-06, 06:04 PM
Ah good point about Walmart. Them and Target have a pretty nice PC gaming section. I was kinda surprised when I first found that out.

nV`andrew
04-03-06, 06:12 PM
target, wally, and best buy are some of the very few in my area that still have a decent shelf of pc games

nutcrackr
04-03-06, 06:47 PM
They probably figure that PC games still sell almost just as well without taking up shelf space. Maybe PC gamers are more liekly to know when games are released and what the box looks like etc. I can't really comment, in my area nearly all the shops have fairly equal shelf space for PC games as other platforms.

S.I.N
04-03-06, 07:22 PM
What's happened to the PC Gaming market?

People "trying" before buying, completing the game and forgeting to buy it. Right?

Acid Rain
04-03-06, 07:23 PM
More importantly, I hope they can lure in developers and make good use of vistas capabilities and dx10's functionality and ease of use for them. Just as soon as they lure the huge majority away from their XP and Geforce FX. It took people forever to get up off Windows 9x.

evilchris
04-03-06, 07:38 PM
They probably figure that PC games still sell almost just as well without taking up shelf space. Maybe PC gamers are more liekly to know when games are released and what the box looks like etc. I can't really comment, in my area nearly all the shops have fairly equal shelf space for PC games as other platforms.

Am I an ADVANCED CONSOLE GAMER because I know when games come out and what the boxes look like?

Where did this myth that PC gamers are supreme intelligent beings and console gamers are a bunch of idiots come from?

The reason console games get priority is simple: sales.

Thank PC pirates for a large portion of that.

nekrosoft13
04-03-06, 09:17 PM
I buy 90% of my games at GoGamer.com. The other 10% are from BestBuy or Bookmans (used games). I've never been in an EB games or Gamestop in my life, although I have been to Software Etc. and Funcoland (before they got bought out).

me too, about 80% gogamer.com other 20% best buy and Fry's

nutcrackr
04-03-06, 11:06 PM
Am I an ADVANCED CONSOLE GAMER because I know when games come out and what the boxes look like?

Where did this myth that PC gamers are supreme intelligent beings and console gamers are a bunch of idiots come from?

The reason console games get priority is simple: sales.

Thank PC pirates for a large portion of that.
Here we go with the pirates again :rolleyes:

Give it up already, I was just providing idle speculation and you arc your back up because you got offended. Guess you want to assume that console gamers are just as intelligent as PC gamers. I, of course, beg to differ. Next time I won't make the mistake of clicking on "View post" :ass:

evilchris
04-03-06, 11:38 PM
Here we go with the pirates again :rolleyes:

Give it up already, I was just providing idle speculation and you arc your back up because you got offended. Guess you want to assume that console gamers are just as intelligent as PC gamers. I, of course, beg to differ. Next time I won't make the mistake of clicking on "View post" :ass:

I assume gamers are gamers and platform has to do with personal opinion, not intelligence. Only an idiot would think otherwise.

Wow, "nutcracker" must be SUPAR SMART!! Afterall there are like 100 million PS2 gamers alone, and he is smarter than all of them because he plays PC games! I never knew such a benchmark of intelligence existed!

From now on, when I interview people, question 1 is: Do you play console games? If they say yes, I'm showing them the door.

MUYA
04-04-06, 12:02 AM
Why does it always have to get personal. I am fed of this. Warning..stay clam and lets not turn this into another flame fest

SavagePaladin
04-04-06, 10:00 AM
Our local Gamestop (well, the one I visit) has a hell of a great PC game selection. Our EBs is relatively decent (though less impressive) also. This must be a PC happy area...

I buy a lot of games at Gamestop, and Target...one of the guys at EB pissed me off AND I can do without the EB TV crap. Everyone at Gamestop is awesome so I prefer to shop there.

'Killer app' is largely irrelevant anymore. Consoles have the same capabilities, just not as much RAM. And does anyone actually use that RAM for anything except graphical content? Not that I've seen. The problem isn't so much lack of wanting, but that the PC processor is shared among too many things (AI, physics, graphics, audio, OS overhead, etcetera) ....possibly, the efficiency provided by Vista and dx10 will negate that problem somewhat, I really don't know.

I also buy games online a lot with digital distribution. The GalCiv2 guys said that something like 1/8 of their sales was digital only. Considering that's pretty damn impressive, I suspect there'll be more and more sales over the net such. So yes, PC gaming AT RETAIL will be hurting...but you know? That's technology for you. The same things that PC gamers love about PC gaming (technological evolution) are happening to it now.

Can't say I'm surprised.