PDA

View Full Version : Desperate SLI Noise Issue

Epyx
03-31-06, 11:38 AM
Okay...an employee of mine has exactly the same setup as I do but there is one noteable difference...noise.

When in SLI mode when I look at rendering head on i get a heavy processor shuffling noise...as soon as I look up at the ceiling or a low texture renduring load the noise goes away. So in single card mode or with light rendering no noise.

My employee's rig does not make this same noise.

The only other hardware difference is that he has a 650watt enermax liberty and I have the Enermax 565p.

Now based on the PSU calculator on extreme oc i have lots of headroom.

I thought maybe my A8N Sli chipset fan but no dice...and again only during heavy rendering.

My specs are in my signature and other than the PSU we have similiar systems...another thought is that my motherboard might have a pooched SLI mode?

Oh and running everything at stock produces the same noise. Any thoughts?

Dazz
03-31-06, 11:47 AM
You will find the PSU is the noisest check for sure as it's under 600w inorder to keep giving power to the video cards it needs to be pushed hard = more heat and that means the temp fans will have to kick in at higher rpms.

Epyx
03-31-06, 04:19 PM
I will take a look when I get home. This employee had it on an even less powerful Enermax before upgrading to the Liberty and it had no noise...so strange...seriously tempted to RMA the motherboard but I will give it a good night of isolation testing tonight first before I resort to that.

Dazz
04-01-06, 02:15 AM
there has been problems with the m/b fan and you can reqest a new fan as it tnds to die. Unplug all fans not needed like case fans etc leave the lid off and see if you can follow the noise.

Epyx
04-03-06, 01:05 AM
Definately not the MB chipset fan as I have unplugged it and the noise persists. I took my pc in for the technician to look at and he suspects the motherboard is causing the noise issue because it might not be drawing power correctly.

I am bringing it back in tomorrow and he will swap it to see if it addresses the noise. If it does I will either go with a replacement board or upgrade to a newer SLI board as the A8N is based on older SLI technology.

Dazz
04-03-06, 01:59 AM
So what motherboard if needed to be replaced are you going to get Technically you could RMA the board But that would mean system down time.

Epyx
04-04-06, 11:18 PM
Turns out it was one of the BFG 7900GTs...replaced it at the stores tech lab and it ran fine. All good now...phew.

Dazz
04-05-06, 12:03 PM
Oh well that is good to hear saves buying a new board and it's under warrenty.