PDA

View Full Version : Exiting Quake 4 with Dual Core

The Bigman
04-01-06, 12:48 AM
Ive been playing this game and its good, but did some things. I play the game with single cpu and works fine even get good Framerates at high resolutions, but when enable dual core restart the game i can't exit the game.

i noticed i nice increase in speed and works good but when i try to exit to menu or quit game it somewhat hangs or goes black screen for a minute until i hit lots of keys on the keyboard and mouse than i get the menu to exit.

Anyone know of a real fix for this problem? I would like to use dual core and i have the latest game release patch.

Thanks for the help.

The Bigman
04-02-06, 06:40 PM
HMMMMmm?

nippyjun
04-28-06, 04:02 PM
I've had some blue screen crashes when loading some save games with the new patch and dual core enabled.

The Bigman
04-30-06, 10:21 PM
Sounds like savegames aren't compatible with new patch for Quake 4.

I read this with updates saying all previous savegames won't run properly.

Farcry is a prime example of this.

Oh well i will just start over anyway.

nippyjun
04-30-06, 10:27 PM
Sounds like savegames aren't compatible with new patch for Quake 4.

I read this with updates saying all previous savegames won't run properly.

Farcry is a prime example of this.

Oh well i will just start over anyway.

There is a way to jump to any level so you don't have to start over. I don't recall how to do it but i'm sure someone here does.

Idoru
05-24-06, 12:58 PM
I have similar problems... though I can exit the game with Dual Core enabled, my desktop then goes all buggy - pulling up the NV control panel, for instance, or Task Manager or booting up Firefox, results in screen flicking to black and then reappearing and other graphical anomolies. Have to restart to clear the problem. Using 84.37 XG with 7900 GTX.

smackDAB
07-04-06, 11:22 PM
I have a problem very similar to Idoru.

Dual core enabled or not I can exit Quake 4. However, if I have been playing for more than a few minutes my desktop goes buggy on exit. The screen starts flashing to black and then reappearing with the Quake 4 exit shot plus any other window I bring up between flashes. I have to reset to clear the problem.

I have a fresh Quake 4 install, patched to 1.2 on a fresh windows XP install. I am running an ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe mobo with a 4400 X2 CPU. I have 2 GB of OCZ RAM and an EVGA 7900 GT KO video card. I have tons of air cooling so the CPU only gets to about 41C and the video card to about 43C.

Quake 4 is the only program I have had issues with.

SH64
07-05-06, 09:25 AM
I have random restarts/lockups problems aswell .. even with latest patches.

did you guys try that AMD dual-core optimizer to see if it fixes anything ?

john19055
07-19-06, 06:52 AM
I have the same problem when I exit the game my screen will go black and then fineally come back on but every thing is messed up and have to reboot to get it working again.

The Bigman
07-24-06, 07:18 PM
I can't get a clear and dry answer about this game and an Intel System, Does Pentium D systems with 950 need the dual core fix from MS to play this game? I did the patch to see and the game actually doesn't restart my system like before.

smackDAB
08-15-06, 10:32 PM
Well, I found out why I was having issues when I left Quake 4. The screen started flashing to black and then reappearing with the Quake 4 exit shot plus any other window I bring up between flashes. I had to reset to clear the problem.

The issue was my new eVGA 7900 GT KO video card. eVGA was really good about sharing information on the fact they had issues with memory chips on some cards. I was surprised since I saw no other symptoms. However, when I replaced the video card all of my Quake 4 issues went away.

Good luck