PDA

View Full Version : Possible Coding Error in "Oblivion" App Profile??

Thumper58
04-02-06, 09:19 AM
...after having been frustrated with my rescent SLI upgrade (2-BFG7900GT) and it's lack of a "performance-boost" in Oblivion, I've been combing all the boards to see if anybody had found a viable solution.
Following up on a post in the the NVNEWs boards got me to look at the Nvidia control panel "Application Profiles" (located in the Windows\system32\nvapps.xml file)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the value in the Oblivion profile:

<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="2000001" Itemtype="predefined" />

is incorrect!
I believe that it should be :
" Value="0x02000001"
This is in the 84.25 driver set....
Could someone please confirm this...?

OWA
04-02-06, 12:46 PM
Mine shows up as Value="2000001" and it seems to work fine. But, it's easy enough to test, just change it if you want.

Thumper58
04-02-06, 02:51 PM
...well according to the "Show GPU Load Balancing" green bar, SLI is active on my system...but with my system specs, I would have expected to see better performance.
Granted, I play at 1680x1050, distance sliders maxed, exteriors shadows at mid and Interior shadows max....
The games graphics really are incredible...!

Kevin:)

Dazz
04-02-06, 04:13 PM
It plays well on a 7800GTX single without the extended options unticked all others maxed out, but when you get in the grass it is terrible. I just bought an other card and looking into an SLi profile to get the best out of it. I too play at 1680x1050 as it's the native rez.

Thumper58
04-03-06, 08:21 AM
...interesting, I reinstalled the driver set and the value now matched the other "correct" game entries.
I wonder if after using the profile the value changes...?

...in any case, the game is truely incredible! As I'm hiking cross-country (in the game), I've had the thought that ,"damn, I 've actually hiked in places that really look like this!".

In regards to the game profiles, do the drivers automatically use the specific profile for a game as the game .exe is opened, or must you switch from the Global setting and actually display the profile that you want to be active?:D

Kevin

Dazz
04-03-06, 12:27 PM
What drivers have the SLi profile for the game?

OWA
04-03-06, 12:51 PM
...interesting, I reinstalled the driver set and the value now matched the other "correct" game entries.
I wonder if after using the profile the value changes...?

...in any case, the game is truely incredible! As I'm hiking cross-country (in the game), I've had the thought that ,"damn, I 've actually hiked in places that really look like this!".

In regards to the game profiles, do the drivers automatically use the specific profile for a game as the game .exe is opened, or must you switch from the Global setting and actually display the profile that you want to be active?:D

Kevin
It's automatic. Once you set up a game specific profile you don't need to do anything else. The settings should get loaded when you start the game.

Thumper58
04-03-06, 06:22 PM
...the 84.25's listed under "Oblivion.exe"....

Kevin

OWA
04-03-06, 06:31 PM
What drivers have the SLi profile for the game?
Most of the recent ones. The oldest nvapps file I have saved is 81.85 and it's in that one.

Dazz
04-05-06, 01:50 AM
I am using the 84.25 drivers and for some reason Oblivion crashes EVERY time i open a door since i gone SLi i think i am going to try an other driver revision it's not my Power supply as i am using an ThermalTake TruePower 680w PSU with triple rails tallying upto 38A on the 12v rails which should be enough. Thing is in single card mode it works flawlessly apart from being abit slow.

Thumper58
04-05-06, 10:10 AM
...I also have this happen to me, but luckily, only on occasion. I do find that when I exit the game, Oblivion always has an application error, and my desktop has a very hard time refreshing itself (loading icons, etc.). I think that the game has problems with memory management, an I've seen many posts the point to some type of "memory leak". Or so some hav said....

Even with its bugs, its still one of the best games that I've ever played!
...and I've played alot of them (since DOOM II in'94)....

Kevin;)

Dazz
04-05-06, 01:02 PM
It does that with me but it worked pefrectly intill i installed the 2nd video card.