PDA

View Full Version : Which motherboard to buy?, sli enabled mobo or 2 pcie x16 slot mobo

justinamanzer
04-03-06, 12:59 PM
Hi

i am an sli noob. pls forgive me for my ignorance. i am about to jump in to the bandwagon and build a system with quadro fx cards. i want to have an sli enabled system but i dont know which motherboard to buy. rightnow i am focused on buying Tyan motherboards with quad opterons. most of these boards have 2 x16 pcie slots but it does not mention it is sli compatible.

on making an sli enabled system what do i really have to look for in a motherboard? should i get a motherboard that is sli enabled already for example a one cpu opteron tyan motherboard K8E-sli or can i get a quad motherboard with 2 x16 pcie slot it doesnt say its sli enabled and put in the cards in there

thanks pls reply asap

snowmanwithahat
04-03-06, 01:05 PM
what are you using this for? because it sounds like you're going to use it as a high end auto-cad workstation, and not for gaming.....

Tyan boards are pretty much just that, for servers and high end workstations, you'd be crazy to spend the money if you're just building a gaming system, likewise with the Quadro cards

as for the quadros working in SLI, i don't know if they do, i doubt many of us on this forum have used them very much, if it at all

if i were you, i'd just go with a single, dual core cpu, with a high end quadro, unless whatever it is that you're doing calls for extreme power, then you should consider your 4xsocket and sli quadros

justinamanzer
04-03-06, 02:12 PM
what are you using this for? because it sounds like you're going to use it as a high end auto-cad workstation, and not for gaming.....

Tyan boards are pretty much just that, for servers and high end workstations, you'd be crazy to spend the money if you're just building a gaming system, likewise with the Quadro cards

as for the quadros working in SLI, i don't know if they do, i doubt many of us on this forum have used them very much, if it at all

if i were you, i'd just go with a single, dual core cpu, with a high end quadro, unless whatever it is that you're doing calls for extreme power, then you should consider your 4xsocket and sli quadros

Yes i am building a system for highend 3d stuff i need lots of cpu to render my stuff and inorder to do that i need a tyan board. do you know if i can use 2 pcie x16 slots for sli even if the mobo is not specifically sli enabled can i still do sli on it thanks?