PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion and anisotropic filtering

Padibuz
04-03-06, 01:37 PM
First of all, apologies if this has been replyed to before, and i was to dumb to find it.
So, as you already know, anisotropic filtering, at least 8x, makes a huge difference in this game. However, my 6800GT@Ultra frequencies takes such a severe FPS drop by activating it that the game becomes unplayable, regardless of resolution, or details. I'm talking 15+ fps drop. I find it hard to believe that it can be that taxing, when other rather fps intensive games i've played can run with anixo 8x without a hitch. So, i'm thinking (although i may be wrong) that it's a driver issue. Or something like that.
So, my question is : any of you guys experienced my problem on a similiar videocard, and found a solution to it ?. I'm using the latest "oblivion betas" from nVidia, the 84.25 ones, and as i was saying the performance drop is horrid.
Any driver that fares better with aniso 8x on ?

Thanks for the help

CaptNKILL
04-03-06, 01:42 PM
When I switch from 8x Quality to 16x High Quality I get a pretty huge performance drop. Like from 35 to 25fps.

OWA
04-03-06, 01:44 PM
10fps just between 8x and 16x? Wow, I only saw around 10fps when going from 16x to app control AF. I only checked on the bridge around the prison though so maybe I need to check other areas. Edit: Oh wait, when you said 8xAF quality to 16xAF high quality did you mean you changed the image quality setting as well?

CaptNKILL
04-03-06, 01:49 PM
10fps just between 8x and 16x? Wow, I only saw around 10fps when going from 16x to app control AF. I only checked on the bridge around the prison though so maybe I need to check other areas. Edit: Oh wait, when you said 8xAF quality to 16xAF high quality did you mean you changed the image quality setting as well?
Yes.

I dont know exactly how much changes with 8xQ to 16xQ, but I know my performance took a dive with 16xHQ :p

Padibuz
04-03-06, 01:51 PM
Ok ok, but how about the regular 0x to 8x one ? :)

SH64
04-03-06, 01:53 PM
Filtering is important in this game & thus the huge performance hit. i dont think its a driver issue or anything out of order.

agentkay
04-03-06, 05:16 PM
Ok ok, but how about the regular 0x to 8x one ? :)

When you enable the optimizations, the drop is minimal. I barely noticed the framerate drop from no AF to 8AF, of course with all optimizations enabled and the IQ loss can be neglected, its still much better than having no AF.

jolle
04-04-06, 06:09 AM
The hit isnt too bad in towns, where you get alot better IQ, on things like cobbles etc..
While its less noticable and seems to be alot heavier out in the woods, I spose all the grass and stuff adds to the load.. more to filter..

mustrum
04-04-06, 11:45 AM
Filtering is important in this game & thus the huge performance hit. i dont think its a driver issue or anything out of order.

What he said. It's one of these titles where AF makes a huge difference in graphics quality. Just check it out on the xbox and you will see what i am talking about. VERY blurry!

swaaye
04-04-06, 03:26 PM
Try putting the performance slider on High Performance and keeping 4X or 8X AF. Will help at the expensive of some shimmering. But what can ya do.

Padibuz
04-04-06, 07:08 PM
Errm, i'm absolutely sure i'm an idiot by not figuring it out on my own, but...how the hell to i enable the anisotropic optimisations in the driver, both options are greyed out.
84.25, with the "simple" version of coolbits installed.

agentkay
04-04-06, 07:13 PM
Errm, i'm absolutely sure i'm an idiot by not figuring it out on my own, but...how the hell to i enable the anisotropic optimisations in the driver, both options are greyed out.
84.25, with the "simple" version of coolbits installed.

You need to move the "Image settings" slider from High Quality to High performance, and then they won´t be greyed out anymore. ;) Make sure "Negative LOD Bias is set to "Allow" as well.