PDA

View Full Version : Worst screenshots ever - Bad Day in LA

fuelrod
04-03-06, 08:59 PM
I'm sure the designers are going for this look but come on. I don't care if the game play is unbelievable my eyes can't take it. What everyone's opinion; could a game this crappy looking actually make money in this day and age?

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/699/699787p1.html

jAkUp
04-03-06, 09:15 PM
I suppose its kind of artistic, it doesn't appeal to me much, but, if it was really good I would play it.

agentkay
04-03-06, 09:15 PM
could a game this crappy looking actually make money in this day and age?

If it had really good and fun gameplay, then why not? IŽd also say that a game like this can be produced WAY cheaper than others with much better graphics.

nV`andrew
04-03-06, 09:21 PM
belated april fools

nutcrackr
04-03-06, 10:00 PM
It doesn't look that bad

SDinc
04-03-06, 10:05 PM
Go look at the videos on the site!!!!!

Screenshots do not do the game justice. It is a cell shaded cartoon world. The video shows the engine in action and it looks innovative and with ton's of attitude. You don't wanna miss anything done by American McGee!

Here's a link;

http://www.enlight.com/bdla/

Click it and check out the trailer before you form any opinion about the game!

evilchris
04-03-06, 11:10 PM
Wow, looks awesome. I'll pick it up. Cell shaded games are great. Last one I played was Robotech Battlecry.

GamerGuyX
04-03-06, 11:13 PM
belated april fools

Actually the game has been in development for awhile.

Peoples-Agent
04-04-06, 05:18 AM
I think this game looks great myself.
Just has to be a generational thing.

nrs421
04-04-06, 07:05 AM
it looks pretty good if you watch the trailer....i'd buy it

http://www.enlight.com/bdla/html/img/downloads/bdla.wmv

myshkinbob
04-04-06, 07:56 AM
The first couple of screenshots of the guy in the white shirt, man, i nearly choked laughing!

Years ago i worked on a hl1 mod, and i saw some terrible texture skinning, but that's really something. If unbelievably amateur looking assets qualify as an art style, these guys nailed it perfectly. ;)

But still, i'm glad this game exists, else i wouldn't have been reminded of the wonder that once was JeffK. (http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/) EH WOS TEH UBARIST HAXOR EVAR! :D

Roliath
04-04-06, 08:09 AM
dude that game looks fun!

RejZoR
04-04-06, 09:03 AM
Omg lol, did you guys ever heard of CEL SHADING rendering technique?
Well this is exactly the thing i'm talking about and is used in this game and lots of others.
Whole point of cel chading is to make game look like 3D drawed cartoon, a complete opposite of what todays games are trying to achieve (realistic graphics). It's made like this on purpose lol, not a bad graphics engine or lazy artists :lol:

myshkinbob
04-04-06, 10:23 AM
Cell shading as a rendering technique does not look like those screenshots.

The only accurate cell shading i see is the explosions. And that is only by the virtue of the explosion effect clearly comprising of 2D sprites. Cell shading in 2D is very easy, just add an outline to the image.

now perhaps they are attempting a 3D cell shaded effect, but they're trying to achieve it by simply drawing bold lines on the face edges of each model. That is, drawing lines on the texture maps so that when applied to the 3d models, the edge of each face on the model has a line along it.

That isn't cell shading. Cell shading of 3D objects dynamically changes those bold outlines depending on your point of view, so that the outside of the sihlouette of the object always has a bold outline. Similarly the internal edges of the object gain/lose their highlighted edges dynamically as your viewpoint changes. It's hard to explain but the cell shaded effect is applied to each frame as if someone just hand-sketched it from a screenshot.

Try farcry in pseudo cell shading mode (r_rendermode 3? i forget), or there was a french game called XIII that cell shaded quite well too, i think. They both imitated the effect much more accurately. Even better go to cgsociety.org's gallery to see very accurate 3D cell shaded effects.

The point is their attempt is a poor man's cell shading at best, and at worst completely fails to look cellshaded at all, and instead just appears ugly texturing to me (and i'd guess a few other people too).

Perhaps a new term would fit it better than cellshaded, like 'crayola mapping'? :)

to be fair though, i looked at the trailer and it does work better in motion, as an effect. Sort of like a 3D cartoon, like the world has been 'drawn over'. Besides, it may well turn out to be fun game, and worth overlooking the cheap appearance. :)

npras42
04-04-06, 06:14 PM
Its not the cel-shading or 'poor-man's' cel-shading technique that makes it look poor graphically. Its the really low poly count.

However, I have rarely if ever been put off by a game entirely due to its graphics. I have just started playing Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and I have to say the gfx are disappointing. Its still a great game though... probably my fave so far in 06.

Banko
04-04-06, 06:44 PM
If this is anything like his other games it should be good. Alice was awesome.

gravioli
04-04-06, 07:30 PM
If you haven't watched the video, watch it. It looks like a cartoon and a lot of fun.

Cell shading of 3D objects dynamically changes those bold outlines depending on your point of view, so that the outside of the sihlouette of the object always has a bold outline. Similarly the internal edges of the object gain/lose their highlighted edges dynamically as your viewpoint changes. It's hard to explain but the cell shaded effect is applied to each frame as if someone just hand-sketched it from a screenshot.

Maybe I am not seeing things right, but this is exactly what it looks like.

killahsin
04-05-06, 12:19 AM
I actually have heard from various people that this agme is going to be absolutely hilarious. If your not super PC and whatnot.

sMull
04-05-06, 09:48 AM
This the style of the game :rolleyes:

Starscream
04-05-06, 10:36 AM
That game looks very interesting.

There's a Giant Hamburger guy!

walkndude
04-05-06, 05:26 PM
After watching the trailer, I can't wait to check this game out.
Looks great.

watever
04-05-06, 05:45 PM
i agree. the screenshots doesnt do the game justice. Watching the trailer does. Makes me want to play it.

ynnek
04-06-06, 03:18 AM
Yes.. Those screen shots are horrible... I looked at it, and thought, man, low poly count, low res textures.. are they kididng?

HOWEVER, looking at the video, the game looks MUCH better in action.. Which makes me wonder, is that trailer actual gameplay, or prerendered scenes? Because is it me, or the everything looks alot better in the trailer?