PDA

View Full Version : What the **** happened to "play max settings with a 9800 pro"

Tygerwoody
04-03-06, 11:33 PM
All of your Oblivion enthusiasts know what I'm talking about. Oblivion was stated to play at absolute MAX detail settings on a lowly 9800 Pro or as they put it "Oblivion should be able to play smoothly on the highest graphics settings on a high end PC from 3 years ago". After that they said how "efficient" the engine is. Am I missing something?

I'm not complaining about how my game plays. I think it runs great on my PC, but boy was that a lie.....

sillyeagle
04-04-06, 12:38 AM
Even in "ultra quality" most of the sliders are less than half way over by default. So maybe at 640x480 no aa/af it will play it at like 15-20fps?

CaptNKILL
04-04-06, 12:41 AM
Its totaly playable on the 9800 Pro we have in the system at work. Its running 512Mb of ram and a socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+. The settings were around medium at 1024x768 with no AA or HDR.

Far from max settings, but the card doesnt perform that bad considering how old it is.

msxyz
04-04-06, 05:54 AM
Its totaly playable on the 9800 Pro we have in the system at work. Its running 512Mb of ram and a socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+. The settings were around medium at 1024x768 with no AA or HDR.

Far from max settings, but the card doesnt perform that bad considering how old it is.
The thread starter refers to one of the developers stating flat and loud on the official forums that he was able to run Oblivion at maximum details on a 3 years old PC with a 9800PRO just at "lower resolution".

Plain BS. My PC can get decent framerates after I tweak the grass LOD, disable shadows, HDR, bloom AND turn down the resolution. This means about 15-20 fps in outdoor areas when the game is not streaming something from the HD. But to have a somewhat smoother framerates I have to tone down the distance sliders to the middle but this means having real bad popups. (note that even the XBox 360 version doesn't draw "full distance" and the terrain textures is as bad as in the unmodded PC version)

davejm
04-04-06, 06:15 AM
I'm running the game on a 9800 Pro... with an Athlon 2800XP and 1gb RAM.

It runs OK. I'm playing it in 1024x768 with 2xAA, and although it's running at a playable 20-25 FPS in outdoor locations... the framerate drops to less than 15 sometimes; usually when fighting.

I'm trying to find a balance between graphical quality and framerate at the moment, but it's already starting to look a little ugly after some of the compromises I'm making to improve performance. I think I'm going to have to go with 800x600 and 2xAA and with some of the sliders down to keep it running really smooth during the demanding outdoor scenes.

LORD-eX-Bu
04-04-06, 11:57 AM
running on a 9550 Pro right now @ 640x480 with most of the sliders set about 2 cm from max. No canopy shadows, self shadows or interior or exterior shadows tho. No AA but have 16x AF and bloom on. Oh yeah and medium textures. The game runs alright, indoors its really smooth, no problem there but outdoors it dips way below 30 and sometimes turns into a slideshow. Haven't messed with the grass because I like the way it looks and I have distant LOD on:D

EDIT: wait, I do have canopy shadows on nevermind:D

my specs right now...

Athlon 64 3000 @ stock
Gigabyte K8Ns
1gb DDR 400
Radeon 9550 256mb

meh and what else is relevant:rofl

CaptNKILL
04-04-06, 04:02 PM
The thread starter refers to one of the developers stating flat and loud on the official forums that he was able to run Oblivion at maximum details on a 3 years old PC with a 9800PRO just at "lower resolution".

Plain BS. My PC can get decent framerates after I tweak the grass LOD, disable shadows, HDR, bloom AND turn down the resolution. This means about 15-20 fps in outdoor areas when the game is not streaming something from the HD. But to have a somewhat smoother framerates I have to tone down the distance sliders to the middle but this means having real bad popups. (note that even the XBox 360 version doesn't draw "full distance" and the terrain textures is as bad as in the unmodded PC version)
I know that... :p

I was just saying the game isnt that bad on a 9800 Pro.