PDA

View Full Version : The type of games I like.

Capt. Picard
04-04-06, 04:16 AM
I've had my fill of FPS, Racing games and strategy games. The next time I play a FPS or a racing game, I'm going to puke. No literally. The fast moving flickers and objects on the screen are conducive to epilepsy, I believe and I sometimes get nauseous after playing for a while. Maybe it's just because of a bad sitting posture.

Anyway, the type of games I would like to see more of in the future is games like GTA-type games and Oblivion and Diablo-type games. I would like the freedomness aspect of the GTA-type games to go where you please and to explore a map. I sometimes like that more than doing the missions. And also the re-playability of RPG. I played Diablo 2 for almost 4 years. I hate the "linnearness" of normal FPS where you are forced to take a certain route to get to a certain point.

In short I'd like a game that simulates a life (surreal and fantasy even - doesn't matter) where mundane details like buying furniture (oblivion) are a part of the game.

Peoples-Agent
04-04-06, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I gotta agree.

Blasting things has got beyond the point of boring, why I like tactical shooters now.

Godfather filled that GTA type urge for awhile.

nekrosoft13
04-04-06, 09:11 AM
i never liked any GTA game after the first one.

but on second had i like mafia and godfather. GTA games just seem way to dumb. rockstar never heard of AI?

nV`andrew
04-04-06, 11:12 AM
i have the same taste as you (Captain) in terms of games.

grey_1
04-04-06, 11:20 AM
GTA games just seem way to dumb. rockstar never heard of AI? Plenty of GTA style living here in my home town. Trust me, intelligence, artificial or otherwise, doesn't have any part in it. :D

fugu_fish
04-04-06, 11:45 AM
Coincidently, I just reloaded Vice City yesterday...Lotsa fun.

Quickstar
04-04-06, 01:42 PM
the AI in godfather isn't too great either.

xbob
04-04-06, 02:15 PM
I have come to prefer games that reward exploration more than other types of games, so I think I would agree with you for the most part. I think that early on the reason so many of us got inot FPS games was due to the way the genre first incorporated fully 3D environments, the exploration was it's own reward. But now the mechanics seem simple and dated and while I am sure someone will come along and bring up something new, at this exact moment I am a little burned on straight FPS games as well.

A well made and polished shooter is a good deal of fun (Half Life 2, Quake IV, F.E.A.R. all come to recent memory) but they aren't worth more than 1 or 2 runs through in most cases. On the other hand, I still really enjoy stumbling into a new area in Guild Wars, I spent a good hour just running around the city when I installed The Godfather last night and I still haven't gotten very far in Oblivion since I keep stopping off to every ruin and cave I find on my way to Kvatch.

When I condsider that the games I am most looking forward to are not FPSs for the first time in a long while, it surprises even me.

nekrosoft13
04-04-06, 03:11 PM
the AI in godfather isn't too great either.

its still better then in any GTA game

zoomy942
04-04-06, 03:17 PM
i have shyed away from pure FPS's. COD2 was okay, but SWAT 4 is where its at for FPS's. and oblivian of course is my love child

Capt. Picard
04-04-06, 03:19 PM
its still better then in any GTA game

Remember the focus of our discussion should be the appeal that those type of games have. Forget about the nitty gritty detail of AI. That's for another forum to display your own I. Also what is missing, concept-wise, in these games. How can these games be improved regarding new concepts.

The ultimate would be to have many more of these types of games. Lets consider these games the pioneers in this genre.

nV`andrew
04-04-06, 05:07 PM
i have shyed away from pure FPS's. COD2 was okay, but SWAT 4 is where its at for FPS's. and oblivian of course is my love child

yeah, fear bored me unfortuneately :( i love oblivion as well :)

zoomy942
04-04-06, 06:09 PM
operation flashpoint was the first game i playd that was completely open ended. it was way ahead of its time in that regard.

LT.Schaffer
04-04-06, 07:34 PM
operation flashpoint was the first game i played that was completely open ended. it was way ahead of its time in that regard.

:clap2: :clap2:
It felt like Oblivion as a FPS