PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Playing this game with a 7800GS (AGP) ???

ReDxKiNG
04-04-06, 12:48 PM
I am thinking of picking this game up after work so i figured I would post to see how users with a 7800 card (AGP USERS ONLY PLEASE) are handling this game.I just got a BFG 7800gs about 2-3 days ago and got it mostly for this game but would like some input from people that own this game and own the 7800. What settings are you playing on,what res?,hows the performance with hdr on etc etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rolland
04-04-06, 02:13 PM
I have the eVGA 7800 GS and I love it, got it also pretty much because of the big graphic need of this (and coming) game/s.

I just let it default to the Ultra-High setting, left it at the 1024x768 @ 75htz refresh rate.

Been playing with AAx2 to clear up some jaggies

My FPS are normally 30-40ish while moving, 50's while standing still outside.

As old as my system is I'm very pleased with the performance, MUCH better than my 6600GT which "could" run it but only outside after I did the Coolbits mod. (Med settings)

graTz on the new card! Hope you like it as much as I do!

Regards,

rflair
04-04-06, 03:03 PM
1280x800(ws) high settings, draw distance medium to high, HDR, no AA/AF, outside it stays at around 30-35fps, in city 50-60fps, dungeons 70-100+fps.
Outdoors it hit a low of 17fps for a few seconds once.

I only benched the first 2 days I had the game, I since said forget this benching crap, on with the game, and its a great game.

ReDxKiNG
04-04-06, 03:26 PM
I have the eVGA 7800 GS and I love it, got it also pretty much because of the big graphic need of this (and coming) game/s.

I just let it default to the Ultra-High setting, left it at the 1024x768 @ 75htz refresh rate.

Been playing with AAx2 to clear up some jaggies

My FPS are normally 30-40ish while moving, 50's while standing still outside.

As old as my system is I'm very pleased with the performance, MUCH better than my 6600GT which "could" run it but only outside after I did the Coolbits mod. (Med settings)

graTz on the new card! Hope you like it as much as I do!

Regards,

Thanks for the input, I absolutely love my new 7800gs.To tell you the truth This is my first nvidia card EVER(been on 9700pro for about 4 and a half years) and the first thing I did when i hooked it up yesterday was try out the "Digital Vibrance" thingie that all you nvidia heads have been yapping about for years and man let me tell you the difference in color is Amazing (of course you can always do the same effect manually on an ati card with the rgb sliders but this is much easier and faster). I am officially in love with Nvidia. I FINALLY got to witness hdr in far cry(not to mention finally being able to play with all the settings on very high) and man let me tell you its beautiful, I can now run chaos theory on the 3.0 path and it looks nothing short of amazing as well with all settings maxed. You have convinced me to go out and get this game.Thanks

Edit: BTW just out of curiosity what are your specs?

ReDxKiNG
04-04-06, 03:28 PM
1280x800(ws) high settings, draw distance medium to high, HDR, no AA/AF, outside it stays at around 30-35fps, in city 50-60fps, dungeons 70-100+fps.
Outdoors it hit a low of 17fps for a few seconds once.

I only benched the first 2 days I had the game, I since said forget this benching crap, on with the game, and its a great game.

Thanks for the input,and yea screw that benching horses*it.. I just want to play this great game (but of course I will prob end up benching it eventually) :p

ReDxKiNG
04-04-06, 03:31 PM
Just thought I would add something I noticed about the 7800gs(FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW).I seriously doubt the 7800GS is begging for more memory bandwidth it has acres. Compared to the 7800GS the 7800GT(pci-e) has a 33% faster core yet only 84% of the memory bandwidth, in fact the 7800GS has the same memory bandwidth as the 7800GTX yet the GTX has a whopping 72% faster core. Not bad for a "crippled" card ;) .. So far the perfomance ive seen from you guys isnt too shabby,i would definately be satisfied with those numbers..

Gregor976
04-04-06, 04:50 PM
My brother has the EVGA 7800GS CO Superclock AGP. He upgraded from a GF TI4200 so Doom/Farcry etc... are completely new games for him now.

His card has a default core of 460mhz and still has headroom for overclocking. The overclocking autodetect button gets something just over 500mhz.

In Oblivian it's hard to tell a difference in performance between his card and mine EVGA 7800GT CO "470/1100 default", even though he's using an NF2 motherboard and an XP2500+ cpu. He also has 1gig of memory.