PDA

View Full Version : Charging for official plugins?

Twigbutt
04-04-06, 02:42 PM
Did anyone else see that they're making you BUY the official plugins for XBOX and PC? :thumbdwn: WTF? Sure, it's only $1.99 USD, but still. The horse armor one is cool, but useless since you can't fight on horseback anyway. I can't wait to see how much the official path costs. ;)

jolle
04-04-06, 03:07 PM
I didnt think much of it.. sure it sucks, but there are so many free mods that it doesnt really seem to be much of a problem..
tho itīll take some time before we see a fanbased Barding mod I spose..
some modelling required and such..

Tygerwoody
04-04-06, 03:39 PM
/waits for shadows plugin. $19.99

SH64
04-04-06, 04:57 PM
Charge for plugins ??!! .. this is ridiculous~! i like Bethesda & all , but dont like that idea.

techfloyd
04-04-06, 05:38 PM
I just heard of something I find pretty disturbing.

*SPOILER*

Orrey, a tower in the arcane university has a door which is normally not accessible (i.e. cannot be opened) but the NPCs talk about the cool stuff inside it. It seems that Bethesda plans to sell this as part of its next downloadable mod.

https://obliviondownloads.com/ (site seems to be down)
More details here:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=341092

I don't have any problems with selling additional content for a price but this is just plain ridiculous. The whole idea of having unopenable doors inside the game until you buy an official mod is a pretty disturbing trend. I wonder how many such placeholders exist in the game.

SH64
04-04-06, 05:44 PM
I just heard of something I find pretty disturbing.

*SPOILER*

Orrey, a tower in the arcane university has a door which is normally not accessible (i.e. cannot be opened) but the NPCs talk about the cool stuff inside it. It seems that Bethesda plans to sell this as part of its next downloadable mod.

https://obliviondownloads.com/ (site seems to be down)
More details here:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=341092

:wtf:

Brimstone7
04-04-06, 06:43 PM
I'm with you guys. If they want to charge a fee for, say, a whole slew of new dungeons with some new enemies or maybe a new town with a bunch of quests that's fine by me. Charging for stuff that we've been getting free since the dawn of PC gaming is not fine by me. Horse armor? A new building? I see a disturbing trend on the horizon.

knghtwhosaysni
04-04-06, 06:46 PM
Well, I don't think two sets of horse armor constitutes a $2 download, but I probably wouldn't get it anyway :)
Plus, Oblivion already has loads of content, so I will be working on that for awhile...

Pepsiboy
04-04-06, 07:58 PM
Just wait for the expansion packs my friends...hopefully they will include loads of new content PLUS the new plugins.

Twigbutt
04-04-06, 08:30 PM
Here's the link if anyones interested.

Official Plugins (http://https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1)

So basically, you'd be paying to unlock content already included in the game.

Maybe Rockstar should have charged for the GTA:SA hot coffee mod. :p

Q
04-04-06, 09:30 PM
Um....what a load.

Edit: And you link is borked, Twigbutt. It sends me to Google AdWords. I can figure it out, but just thought I'd let you know.

Edit 2: Wouldn't matter anyway at the moment...the site is down.

Edit 3. I love editing.

After thinking about it for a bit...and reading the official forums...this is an even bigger load of crap. The game just came out and these add-ons are coming out. Just imagine, in a few weeks there is likely going to be 20 or so of these. That's 40 bucks if you want "the complete experience" on top of the 40 bucks I just laid down. And as wildly popular as this is going to be for the jackass rich kids playing thier Xbox360's while eating peanut butter out of the jar, there is no way they'll consider stopping this. It's just going to encourage companies to leave out parts of the game that we have to buy later.

If there was ever going to be an event in gaming that would have the potential to "kill" it, at least as we all love and know it, this might be it. That's probably going a bit far, but it might be one of those things that pushes people out of it...like me.

I'm pretty damn honest when it comes to buying games. I paid my $40 for this game. If they start releasing a ton of this stuff that OBVIOUSLY should have been in the game I paid for, I'm not going to have a problem warezing the plugins. Kinda like that whole special room deal mentioned above. They put that in there JUST for us to buy a plugin. I'm all in for expansions and stuff, because those are usually reasonably priced for a TON of content. Now, if all of these individual things were promised to be included in the expansion, kinda like hotfixes in a Windows Service Pack, I'd be fine. But if its $2 here, there, there, here, there and THEN a $30 expansion they might just have to kiss my ass and join my "Do Not Buy" list.

evilchris
04-04-06, 09:52 PM
What I recommend if you don't like it is, get this: don't buy it. I'll skip this one but will gladly pay for more content if it's interesting.

Mr. Hunt
04-04-06, 10:08 PM
What I recommend if you don't like it is, get this: don't buy it. I'll skip this one but will gladly pay for more content if it's interesting.

I love this... if Sony did something like this you would be like "ZOH EM GEE TEH 360 PWNZ3RZ TEH SONI!!!"

Q
04-04-06, 10:33 PM

"But its the principle of the thing!!!"

I just don't like the idea of leaving something out of the game with the sole purpose of having someone buy it as an extra later. Just like the whole locked door thing.

I think it just sets a very dangerous precedent for gaming where developers leave stuff out just for you to buy it. What if they let you just buy the first 3/4 of a game and have to buy the last level to see how the story ends? Good god, Valve is going to have a field day.

"Click here to buy the almight Gravity Gun!"

I take back the thing about pirating...that would make me feel guilty...but things like this sure tempt me. It just feels like the game should have been priced acordingly if it was going to be Ala Carte or whatever.

A dinner costs $15. If you buy the steak only, it should cost $10 and the sides $2 or $3 each and usually its similiar to this. This game feels like the steak in this case.

knghtwhosaysni
04-04-06, 10:36 PM
My take is that I believe Oblivion is a finished game. It is definitely gonna give me the most play hours so far, as far as singleplayer games go.

The plugin is purely extra content, it's not like it fixes glitches or bugs, just adds a bit more content. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Achilles17
04-04-06, 10:41 PM
But it adds extra content that was clearly available when the game was released. They could have included it in the game, but they purposely withheld it so they could release it seperately. If the floodgates really do open, then imagine what this could lead to...

-=DVS=-
04-05-06, 12:25 AM
Only Xbox 360 user will be forced to pay for them , PC users already can get it for free ;) hence we may conclude PC > Console.

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 12:29 AM
Only Xbox 360 user will be forced to pay for them , PC users already can get it for free ;) hence we may conclude PC > Console.
We can get it for free?

Where?

EDIT:

They list 3 plugins here for $1.99:
https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

The horse armor one is available. Im going to get it to try it out :)

killahsin
04-05-06, 12:39 AM
But it adds extra content that was clearly available when the game was released. They could have included it in the game, but they purposely withheld it so they could release it seperately. If the floodgates really do open, then imagine what this could lead to...

My friend they stated over 6 months ago horse armor was going to be a pay for plugin. They also stated they would be doing a pay for plugin/mod/drm rollout on launch day. I also know of a specific person that has been working on future plugins from the day the game went gold. I however did not know it was part of the pay for stuff, i thought he was doing it for the mod community. It turns out beth actually has quite a few people working on future content for the game. So they by no means were subversive about this, it was actualyl stated along time ago. It justs eems the game was so in demand that most people didn't even need to pay attention to the interviews/hype to want it thus the majority of the non hardcore community not knowing it was coming.

Zelda_fan
04-05-06, 12:42 AM
"But its the principle of the thing!!!"

I just don't like the idea of leaving something out of the game with the sole purpose of having someone buy it as an extra later. Just like the whole locked door thing.

I think it just sets a very dangerous precedent for gaming where developers leave stuff out just for you to buy it. What if they let you just buy the first 3/4 of a game and have to buy the last level to see how the story ends? Good god, Valve is going to have a field day.

"Click here to buy the almight Gravity Gun!"

I take back the thing about pirating...that would make me feel guilty...but things like this sure tempt me. It just feels like the game should have been priced acordingly if it was going to be Ala Carte or whatever.

A dinner costs $15. If you buy the steak only, it should cost $10 and the sides $2 or $3 each and usually its similiar to this. This game feels like the steak in this case.

The game isn't "incomplete." It's like a mini-expansion pack. And what are you complaining about $1.99 that's not even pocket change. How about they just make the game and don't provide **** afterwards? Would that make you happy?

This is the one thing that pisses me off about most PC GAmARS. Most are just rat-cheap bastards just trying to get stuff for free. You guys are probably the type of people who go to a restaurant and whine about the cost of everying. OMG A STEAK CSOTS TEN DOLLZARS! EEEEE! OUTRAGE! WTF AN EXTRA SIDE OF PEES IZ ONE DOLLAR + 99 OMG WHREE IZ DU WAITER I WANT 2 COMPLANE!!!

-=DVS=-
04-05-06, 12:45 AM
We can get it for free?

Where?

EDIT:

They list 3 plugins here for $1.99:
https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

The horse armor one is available. Im going to get it to try it out :)

Internet is wast and infinite , official sites are not. TO save you some time you got PM :p

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 12:56 AM
Internet is wast and infinite , official sites are not. TO save you some time you got PM :p
Already bought legally :D

Works fine... could use some instructions though. Where the hell am I supposed to get the horse armor? :p

EDIT:
Oh duh... nevermind :p

After walking around for like 10 seconds it says you find a note advertising horse armor at the chestnut handy stables in the Imperial City. Thats easy enough.