PDA

View Full Version : Some things I find dissappointing in Oblivion

Larnyjeaney
04-05-06, 06:58 AM
I've waited for Oblivion for four years...wow what a game. My complaints aren't a result of the entire game being spoiled for me...not at all. I love this game way too much. There are just some things that disappoint me:

1 - The Dunmer of Morrowind spoke in a very certain way which was very noticible. In Oblivion the Dunmer speak like they all come from Britain. In fact, in Oblivion you meet orcs which don't speak like orcs but speak with a pure America accent. It's doesn't fit in at all.

2 - I was hoping that like Morrowind, you could put tatoos on your character's face with different styles.

3 - People say the journal interface for Oblivion is much better. Not in my opinion. I've had the game for a week now and I've learned how to use it, but for many people who have never seen anything from the Elder Scrolls series it's very difficult to navigate through. The interface is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but just the navigation is a bit hard to get used to.

4 - The world map can be irritating. Having to drag it from one place to another is annoying, whereas in Morrowind, you could view all of Vvardenfell at once.

5 - There are TOO FEW guilds. In Morrowind the other houses were Hlaalu, Redoran and Telvanni. I know those are related directly to the dunmer and Morrowind in the home of the dunmer, but they should have come up with more guilds for Oblivion. I've joined them all and I've finished the Arena and Dark Brotherhood already in one week. At least if there are many guilds, it would make me want to create a new character and join the other houses at a later stage, which will extend gameplay.

6 - Fast travel shortens the game way too much. It doesn't make things easier, but too easy. It's so quick and easy to finish missions now that there's no extended game play. The good thing about Morrowind was that when you finished a mission, something else on the way back might have distracted you, and would have led you to do something else. In Oblivion this is ruled out by fast travel. Parhaps they should have made the player work for fast travel...for example, make the player do a mission, which grants them an item which allows them to fast travel. That would be great. But this is just my opinion.

That's about all. But don't get me wrong, I still love this game and it's my personal favourite ever, after Morrowind of course. I can't stop playing Oblivion. No game can be perfect, I know that, and I still love it. I won't even complain about bugs because those are normal too, and patches will come eventually.

Cheers!

jolle
04-05-06, 07:19 AM
Its a great game, been playing far too much..
The UI can be improved pretty much with BTmod, bit less consoleadapted..
Listed items are a bit smaller so you get more of them onscreen at the same time, less scrolling, and the map is a bit bigger aswell, to mention a few improvments with it.

My main gripe is that the Oblivion gates are pretty repetative and seem to be pretty much the same all of them..
Dont think there is any need to acctually go in and close them, atleast I hope so since there seems to be a ton of them, but still, it would add alot to the game if there were some variations to them.

I wouldnt mind a little more variations on dungeon enviroments, seems to be only cave, fort and elven ruins sofar atleast..
I really miss Dwemer for one hehe..

But then again I clocked in at 85h on my savegame this friday, which is about 12h a day and that is too much anyway so hehe..

nekrosoft13
04-05-06, 07:29 AM
i do agree on the interface, i simply hate it

i should be able to have the map and character stats open at same time

Mr. Hunt
04-05-06, 08:58 AM
Its a great game, been playing far too much..
The UI can be improved pretty much with BTmod, bit less consoleadapted..
Listed items are a bit smaller so you get more of them onscreen at the same time, less scrolling, and the map is a bit bigger aswell, to mention a few improvments with it.

My main gripe is that the Oblivion gates are pretty repetative and seem to be pretty much the same all of them..
Dont think there is any need to acctually go in and close them, atleast I hope so since there seems to be a ton of them, but still, it would add alot to the game if there were some variations to them.

I wouldnt mind a little more variations on dungeon enviroments, seems to be only cave, fort and elven ruins sofar atleast..
I really miss Dwemer for one hehe..

But then again I clocked in at 85h on my savegame this friday, which is about 12h a day and that is too much anyway so hehe..

I agree on the Oblivion gate comment... that is why I don't like to go through them too often... maybe one a day or something... sometimes I won't even do one because they are sort of same old same old for me... and one time I actually ran into TWO oblivion gates that were the EXACT same thing... I kid you not... same EXACT layout and everything.

hazindu
04-05-06, 09:44 AM
1. Getting a wide variety of voice actors would be expensive. They figured we'd be satisfied with Jean Luc Picard.
2. I too was surprised by the lack of tatoos and other options.
3. I don't like it either. Too consolized. <--its a word now...
4. Once again, this is so the console gamer can read it on a tv.
5. I haven't yet decided whether or not I agree with that. Quality over Quantity?
6. I havent been using fast travel all that much, but when I need it, I'm glad its there.

Don't feel bad about nitpicking, that just means you care..(nana2)

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 10:05 AM
Yeah the voices sort of bugged me... there are really only 4 or 5 different race voices (well, 8 or 10 if you count male and female).

The Nords and the Orcs are the same. The Orc women are not Orc at all. The Kajiit and Argonian voices are the same (yeah, they are... just listen to them). There are beggars wandering around that sound like beggars one second, and then talk with an english accent the next :p

These are hardly game breakers, but they are pretty noticable. Morrowind's voices were very good, but obviously this is MUCH different. Morrowind had no dialog, Oblivion does. I can see why they would have to reuse voices.

Mr. Hunt
04-05-06, 10:58 AM
Yeah the voices sort of bugged me... there are really only 4 or 5 different race voices (well, 8 or 10 if you count male and female).

The Nords and the Orcs are the same. The Orc women are not Orc at all. The Kajiit and Argonian voices are the same (yeah, they are... just listen to them). There are beggars wandering around that sound like beggars one second, and then talk with an english accent the next :p

These are hardly game breakers, but they are pretty noticable. Morrowind's voices were very good, but obviously this is MUCH different. Morrowind had no dialog, Oblivion does. I can see why they would have to reuse voices.

Oh man... I don't mind the voices too much... except one real HUGE problem for me... the "beggars"... you talk to them and they will talk with a really thick accent... ask them for "Rumors" and they usually have a regular voice... I HATE that so friggin much.

Pepsiboy
04-05-06, 04:01 PM
I agree on the Oblivion gate comment... that is why I don't like to go through them too often... maybe one a day or something... sometimes I won't even do one because they are sort of same old same old for me... and one time I actually ran into TWO oblivion gates that were the EXACT same thing... I kid you not... same EXACT layout and everything.

That would be because all the random obvlivion gates (the ones not associated with the "Allies for Bruma" quest) have random layouts that are pulled from a big list of layouts. The layout itself isnt random...just which layout it is.

Slybri
04-05-06, 09:29 PM
1. The low texture on distant hills and mountains and the pop-in LOD buildings. I guess I can role play my character as being near sighted.

2. Indoor windows always have bright sun streaming through..day or night, rain or shine. To run into the chapel on a stormy night and see sunlight streaming through the windows...that ruins immersion big time.

3. Butt Ugly faces on everyone. I'm not looking for Maxim models everywhere but everyone I talk too has a goofy pudgy round face and glowing lips. Is everyone in Tamriel on some sort of growth hormone ?

4. Only about 5 or 6 voices in the game repeating the same lines of dialogue. If you're gonna get different people to read the same line, you might as well have them reword it a little bit. Why do different characters all say the exact same thing, word for word? Again, this ruins immersion.

5. Lynda Carter is a horrible voice actor. Patrick Stewart was kinda lame too. Sean Bean, Terrance Stamp and whoever is doing the female british voice are all excellent.

6. Horrible UI. And that crosshair is way too big. I know there are mods to fix this but it should have been an option in the game. And there should be a toggle to turn the UI on and off so you can enjoy the graphics. And a screenshot button too. It's like they didn't give a damn about the PC version.

8. Charging for downloadable content. This is a trend that must stop! Pretty soon they'll charge us 25 cents for every 3 lives! Madness!

9. Listing the 6800 series as the "recommended" video card on the box. Any "recommended" hardware should run the entire game at 30fps with high details at least. I would "recommend" the X1900XTX for 600$ but even that would have problems outdoors.

10. No support for Creative EAX or X-FI. The sounds are great in this game but some occlusion and other EAX effects would have really been amazing. Like when characters in another room are talking and it sounds like they are shouting in your ear.

Other than that, I love this game. I actually quit playing WoW and spent 1200 bucks building a new computer for it. What they released for the PC was an crappy XBOX360 port, but the Mod community is fixing that. Another reason PC gaming rules.

nV`andrew
04-05-06, 10:00 PM
the one thing i hate about oblivion is the fact that i play so many hours a day that i have no life...

lol

the only thing i dislike about it the most is the oblivion gates, annoying...

and i love this game