PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion "NOT" a RPG..????

Rolland
04-05-06, 11:03 AM
It' s a good adventure/hack'n'slash game, but as RPG it sucks.

My faith lies in Gothic 3. If it's anything like the first two games, it will easily blow Oblivion out of the water.

I've seen a few posts like this across the web and I don't understand why people feel this way. Some actually say that Oblivion isn't a RPG at all?

I've always thought that RGP games prety much ment "stat" based where your characters lvl'd and you assigned points to various traits. And created a personalized character (within limits)

So I'm honestly curious as to why people feel this game is weak in that area, I can lvl any Skill I choose by doing that skill or purchase training. I get stat points when I lvl...

I like the setting and the main quest/storyline and I can either work on that or do my own thing.

So what do they feel is missing? (and what would make the Gothic series a better RPG?)

Not a flame, just honest discussion plz :)

Regards,

Tygerwoody
04-05-06, 11:07 AM
Oblivion is an RPG

Gothic 1 and 2 sucked, and I'm sure Gothic 3 will suck as well.

superklye
04-05-06, 11:10 AM
Oblivion is an RPG

Gothic 1 and 2 sucked, and I'm sure Gothic 3 will suck as well.
Couldn't agree more.

UDawg
04-05-06, 11:23 AM
Who cares what you call it. I like to play it. Further more why does it matter? Give it a rest.

Riptide
04-05-06, 11:30 AM
Yeah no kidding. A rose by any other name...

Tygerwoody
04-05-06, 11:31 AM
Who cares what you call it. I like to play it. Further more why does it matter? Give it a rest.
We all know republicans are the only ones that think Oblivion isn't an RPG. They are stupid anyway. No need to listen to the nonsense they spew :p

Rolland
04-05-06, 11:35 AM

Give what a rest UDawg?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious as to where exactly Oblivion fails to offer in the RPG department.

I feel it's a valid and interesting question. If you don't plz move on and look at other posts that are more to your liking.

Thx :)

Still curious btw. Would like to hear from msxyz or others that have like views or opinions.

This is a discussion (hopefully) Not a "I like it! I hate it! Well you suc!! No you suc!! " thread.

Rolland
04-05-06, 11:36 AM
We all know republicans are the only ones that think Oblivion isn't an RPG. They are stupid anyway. No need to listen to the nonsense they spew :p

That's not helping Tygerwoody :( ;)

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 12:48 PM
Give what a rest UDawg?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious as to where exactly Oblivion fails to offer in the RPG department.

I feel it's a valid and interesting question. If you don't plz move on and look at other posts that are more to your liking.

Well, by making a thread quoting someone else and saying you disagree with them, yeah you are pretty much trying to argue :p

This has been discussed in other threads, thats why he was saying "give it a rest". Do a search, you'll find it.

Rolland
04-05-06, 12:56 PM
Well, by making a thread quoting someone else and saying you disagree with them, yeah you are pretty much trying to argue :p

This has been discussed in other threads, thats why he was saying "give it a rest". Do a search, you'll find it.

Ok...wasn't aware that there was too much discussion about this already. The original comment that I quoted in my OP just got me thinking about the "why" aspect.

And BTW I wasn't disagreeing per say...all I was asking was an "explination" for their view and opinion. There's a difference IMO.

My bad.

I'll do a search.

Regards,

Slybri
04-05-06, 01:19 PM
Well, it's got levels and quests and loot and different player classes, like an RPG. It also lets you assign stat points every level and choose which equipment you want to use.

But the combat is more like a First Person Shooter, especially playing a mage. You have to aim and time your shots. Most RPG's automatically target and calculate your hit or miss with rulesets.
Also, with the games level system, all the loot and mobs are set to your level, meaning you can pretty much do anything at level 1 that you could at level 21.
And most RPGs are balanced for your class, while in Oblivion, some builds just don't work as well as others.
So it doesn't feel or play like a classic RPG. It's more of a hybrid 1st person shooter. You could call it "Hexen 360."

With Mods coming out that change the level and loot system, you can make it more of a classic RPG. I kinda like it how it is though, after playing WoW for a year and a half.

Rolland
04-05-06, 01:25 PM
You could call it "Hexen 360."

I kinda like it how it is though, after playing WoW for a year and a half.

Same :)

Nice "Hexen" reference lol, I actually still have that on one of my computer games shelves. Remember "Heritic" as well?

Thx for the reply btw ;)

Regards,

JamesDax
04-05-06, 01:54 PM
Oblivion = a first person Diablo/Dungeon Seige type game. That being a hack n slash Adventure/RPG. But I still love the game.

gray fox
04-05-06, 01:55 PM
Ok...wasn't aware that there was too much discussion about this already. The original comment that I quoted in my OP just got me thinking about the "why" aspect.

And BTW I wasn't disagreeing per say...all I was asking was an "explination" for their view and opinion. There's a difference IMO.

My bad.

I'll do a search.

Regards,

Ur doing it again :D

Rolland
04-05-06, 02:43 PM
I did a search...but didn't find one I liked.

So I decided that 1 more thread was fine. :p

Tygerwoody
04-05-06, 02:58 PM
That's not helping Tygerwoody :( ;)
Well it helped to make Udawg leave. I tell you those republicans are always "eavsdropping" on everyone elses discussions. ;)

superklye
04-05-06, 03:00 PM
ba dump chhhsh