PDA

View Full Version : Bethsada adding 2 new quests for download

Pages : [1] 2 3

anticitizenzero
04-05-06, 03:45 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/next-oblivion-downloads-promise-more-than-horse-getups/

2 Dollars :thumbdwn:

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 03:46 PM
:confused:

There are already 2 huge threads about this... why make a new one?

evilchris
04-05-06, 04:57 PM
OMFG 2 dollarS! Equity loan time!

Toss3
04-05-06, 05:15 PM
Hey this at least isn't a horse armor upgrade! This is something worth paying for, but I still have a long way to go before I run out of quests! ;)

SH64
04-05-06, 06:24 PM
The problem is not with how much you have to pay , but rather the whole plugins purchase concept.

Zelda_fan
04-05-06, 06:33 PM
I will be buying both of these. I am VERY interested in the Orrery quest. I have completed the mages-guild quest line, and the one thing that drive me up the wall is I can't get into that blasted orrery in my own arcane university!

evilchris
04-05-06, 07:07 PM
The problem is not with how much you have to pay , but rather the whole plugins purchase concept.

Why should developer produced content be free? Is 200 hours of gameplay not enough for $60?

Edge
04-05-06, 07:19 PM
Why should developer produced content be free?
To offer an incentive for new purchasers and to show that they support and reward their fanbase. Seemed to work pretty well for the UT series.

I have completed the mages-guild quest line, and the one thing that drive me up the wall is I can't get into that blasted orrery in my own arcane university!
Makes it sound like it was originally going to be in the game but then was removed to turn into a fee-based quest.

knghtwhosaysni
04-05-06, 08:29 PM
I don't get what is so bad with these plugins. Oblivion, a $50 game, is LOADED with content. Tons of quests, tons of gameplay hours. I think that super-high number of play hours is definitely enough. But apparently all those play hours plus free community-made mods just isn't enough for some people. They still need these small quests included in the $50. And other games only offer 12 or 14 hours of gameplay for $50.

I just don't get it :confused:

pkirby11
04-05-06, 08:30 PM
OMG $2 heaven forbid I pay for something. I know if my hard work continued to add into the game I'd wanna be paid, maybe thats why I have no problem with MMO fees. If the contents worth it, buy it and if not don't. If enough people aren't interested they won't make it or make it better. :D

Edge
04-05-06, 08:49 PM
I don't get what is so bad with these plugins. Oblivion, a $50 game, is LOADED with content. Tons of quests, tons of gameplay hours. I think that super-high number of play hours is definitely enough.
See, that is where the confusion comes in:

$50 - hundreds of quests, thousands of items, a new engine, a new combat system, thousands of NPCs, tens of thousands of lines of dialog
$2 - armor for one of the game's creatures
$2 - 2 quests

Does it really make sense to charge that amount for such a minor content addition when the game itself included so much? If the main game used the pricing formula of the additional content, it would've cost $500. It would've made more sense if they built a "booster pack" that's made up of 5 or 6 of these pieces of content and released it at $5.

knghtwhosaysni
04-05-06, 09:04 PM

$50 - hundreds of quests, thousands of items, a new engine, a new combat system, thousands of NPCs, tens of thousands of lines of dialog
$2 - 2 quests

Does it really make sense to charge that amount for such a minor content addition when the game itself included so much? If the main game used the pricing formula of the additional content, it would've cost $500. It would've made more sense if they built a "booster pack" that's made up of 5 or 6 of these pieces of content and released it at $5. I suppose, but most of the complaining I have seen on this forum has been about the "principle of leaving this out of the game," not so much the pricing. I thought, even if they did leave these quests out, so what? Now we only get 199 hours of gameplay instead of 200? (Not quite attacking your point, just backing up mine :))
The pricing does seem kinda odd for the amount of gameplay you get :)

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 09:05 PM

$2 - 2 quests

Does it really make sense to charge that amount for such a minor content addition when the game itself included so much? If the main game used the pricing formula of the additional content, it would've cost $500. It would've made more sense if they built a "booster pack" that's made up of 5 or 6 of these pieces of content and released it at $5.
I have to agree, that would have been a much MUCH better way to do it. Either way, I dont mind given them a few bucks for this stuff, and I'll probably buy the other two eventually. The horse armor is something I actually use... the other two I probably wont see unless I make a mage, so I probably wont be getting them for a while.

DangeR!
04-05-06, 09:26 PM
just for 2 new quests... no ty and what did I pay good money for. Yup, the full game. This isnt even an addon, its all found in the game I/we payed for. All were doing is paying them to unlock a door. Its ****ing disgracefull if you ask me. Bring out an expantion pack with new races and quests and parts of new maps. Then I'll pay money to see it.

nV`andrew
04-05-06, 10:04 PM
if its something small like that, there is no need to charge. if it something big like a new guild, or a main quest, or a new city or something, then yes charge.

SH64
04-05-06, 10:51 PM
Why should developer produced content be free?
We are not talking about additional content here , but rather 2 quests that are already in our game & we have the right to play them for free since we already paid for the full game!
if we agree with this , then we are opening the door for other game devs to follow the same path.
"OMG FEAR has 2 secret levels , pay $2 to unlock them NOW!!"
"new purchasable weapons & armor for Fable , just pay $3 to get them" .. & the list goes on ..

evilchris
04-05-06, 11:40 PM
I think the answer is simple: if you don't like it don't buy it. Personally, if the content interests me, I'll have no problem buying it and I'll prove their model successful.

Zelda_fan
04-05-06, 11:49 PM
Makes it sound like it was originally going to be in the game but then was removed to turn into a fee-based quest.

lol you make it sound like Bethesda was sitting back saying "hmmm, lets chop X Y and Z quests so we can offer them as $2 plugins and turn our fanbase into a cash machine!!! MWAHAHHA"

lol please give me a break.

Q
04-06-06, 12:08 AM
lol you make it sound like Bethesda was sitting back saying "hmmm, lets chop X Y and Z quests so we can offer them as $2 plugins and turn our fanbase into a cash machine!!! MWAHAHHA"

lol please give me a break.

Um...that's kinda what it DOES seem like. The whole unlockable door thing seems just like that. Even if this wasn't Bethesda's intent, it could cause other companies that don't pack their games with as much content to start offering games "Ala Carte" or whatever.

It's the whole buying a dinner thing. (This is my bread and butter example, so if you've read it before forgive me.) :D

Ok, you buy a dinner for $15. You get steak, potatoes, and a drink. Let's say you just want the steak...it would be $11. A drink would be $2 and the potatoes would be $4. If you bought everything separately it would cost you $17, but since you bought the whole dinner you save $2.

This was a full price game meaning we bought the whole dinner. If they were going to nickel and dime us, the steak should have been a little less.

However, Oblivion is kinda like a buffet. It gave us tons of content and was well worth the money. But, just like in law, you have to be careful that you don't set a dangerous precedent for others. When a highly successful game does something that ends up making money, it will be copied by other developers. If this starts becoming the norm, it will only be a matter of time before there is a game that I want to play that I'm going to lay down $40 for only to have to lay down another $5 or $10 in order to play the last half of it or some other lame crap.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for these little add ons just so I know I have "the complete experience". Again, if all of these add ons are going to be like hotfixes in an XP Service Pack, hell, release a hundred of them. But if I really get into this game I don't want to lay down $40 for the game, $20-$40+ to get all of the little plugins, then still have to pay for full expansions.

With the whole "if you don't like it don't buy it" thing....how will you know if you will like it unless you buy it? I know that some things will just sound interesting and some wont...like the horse armor...but some won't be nearly so obvious.

I know reading over this post, there doesn't seem to be a lot of actual evidence that I'm citing against this. Or even many decent reasons... The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I can't put my finger on the exact reason why. I guess I just really favor the single expansions over the nickle and dime stuff. I haven't read the service terms, but are your orders stored on their servers? If not, is it easy to re-download the content if your system crashes? I guess I could hunt down the answer to that...but I'm just not sure if I'd ever buy into this system.

Sorry for the rant guys...

Pepsiboy
04-06-06, 12:39 AM
Evilchris and Zelda fan...you both are getting excessively annoying. Neither of you understand how business works obviously. That IS exactly what business try to do with their customers(make cash machines). I just thought that was beyond Bethesda. I guess not. But you both are entirely brainwashed.

Zelda_fan
04-06-06, 01:57 AM
Well evilchirs... there you have it straight from penisboy himself. We're a couple of brainwashed dits playing into the (uber) evil bethesda money machine.

no duh bethesda want to make money. I know how businesses work. I'm saying I AGREE with bethesda's business model. I don't mind being "used" as a 2.50 cents cash machine if it gets me another good quest. How long do you expect the quest to take? 1 - 2 hours? That's pretty good for $2.50 seeing as though games like FEAR take 10 hours for the whole game.

Brimstone7
04-06-06, 02:14 AM
Honestly, WTF is wrong with you people. PC gamers have been given free content by the developers for years. Companies are still doing it. Quake4 just received 4 (or so) new maps plus a bunch of other content. Epic has released entire expansion packs for free to the community. This type of stuff is IMPLIED with the sale of PC games, especially if it's marketed by showing how customizable it is.

By your reasoning, why shouldn't we pay for patches? After all, once the game is on the shelves, why should the developer offer any support? Why, because this support is implied in the sale of the game. Just like when your new car comes with a 3 year/36,000 mile warantee, there is a precedent that says games will receive continuing support after their release by the developers FOR FREE. Why was it OK for Morrowind to have free plugins but suddenly it's too much to ask that we get the same treatment for Oblivion?

Nobody here has a problem paying for content. We all were happy to shell out $50+ for the game, and we'll all probably buy the expansion packs. There's no reason for the developers to nickel and dime us for a few extra bucks like this.

Mr. Hunt
04-06-06, 02:17 AM
I think the answer is simple: if you don't like it don't buy it. Personally, if the content interests me, I'll have no problem buying it and I'll prove their model successful.

Hey evilchris... can you do us all a favor and apply this to the Playstation 3 rather than just the constant bashing you like to do... especially about the "PR Hype machine"... if you don't like the PS3, don't buy it.

sandeep
04-06-06, 02:42 AM
Um...that's kinda what it DOES seem like. The whole unlockable door thing seems just like that. Even if this wasn't Bethesda's intent, it could cause other companies that don't pack their games with as much content to start offering games "Ala Carte" or whatever.

It's the whole buying a dinner thing. (This is my bread and butter example, so if you've read it before forgive me.) :D

Ok, you buy a dinner for $15. You get steak, potatoes, and a drink. Let's say you just want the steak...it would be $11. A drink would be $2 and the potatoes would be $4. If you bought everything separately it would cost you $17, but since you bought the whole dinner you save $2.

This was a full price game meaning we bought the whole dinner. If they were going to nickel and dime us, the steak should have been a little less.

However, Oblivion is kinda like a buffet. It gave us tons of content and was well worth the money. But, just like in law, you have to be careful that you don't set a dangerous precedent for others. When a highly successful game does something that ends up making money, it will be copied by other developers. If this starts becoming the norm, it will only be a matter of time before there is a game that I want to play that I'm going to lay down $40 for only to have to lay down another $5 or $10 in order to play the last half of it or some other lame crap.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for these little add ons just so I know I have "the complete experience". Again, if all of these add ons are going to be like hotfixes in an XP Service Pack, hell, release a hundred of them. But if I really get into this game I don't want to lay down $40 for the game, $20-$40+ to get all of the little plugins, then still have to pay for full expansions.

With the whole "if you don't like it don't buy it" thing....how will you know if you will like it unless you buy it? I know that some things will just sound interesting and some wont...like the horse armor...but some won't be nearly so obvious.

I know reading over this post, there doesn't seem to be a lot of actual evidence that I'm citing against this. Or even many decent reasons... The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I can't put my finger on the exact reason why. I guess I just really favor the single expansions over the nickle and dime stuff. I haven't read the service terms, but are your orders stored on their servers? If not, is it easy to re-download the content if your system crashes? I guess I could hunt down the answer to that...but I'm just not sure if I'd ever buy into this system.

Sorry for the rant guys...
While I LOVE Oblivion I definitely don't like the concept of buying plugins. This is just like bank fees, if one starts charging extra, all other banks follow. Eventually, developers would deliberately make 3 levels less in their final game and later sell it for a price.

Imagine if we have option to buy levels for NFS MS, DOOM 3, QUAKE 4, FEAR, FARCRY, LOST COAST. Bhahh thats already a lot of money on top of the price we pay for the original release.

evilchris
04-06-06, 02:47 AM
Evilchris and Zelda fan...you both are getting excessively annoying. Neither of you understand how business works obviously. That IS exactly what business try to do with their customers(make cash machines). I just thought that was beyond Bethesda. I guess not. But you both are entirely brainwashed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/tokyoxsquare/newbie.gif