PDA

View Full Version : amount of memory

Mathas
04-05-06, 04:30 PM
I'm running Oblivion at 1024x768; HDR; everything max on x2 3800+, 2x1Gb Corsair 400Mhz 2-3-3-6 and 7800GT(400/1000). From time to time(not often) I have some stuttering. It seems that Oblivion wants more than 2Gb of memory...
What is the situation in your systems with 2Gb memory?

Tygerwoody
04-05-06, 04:46 PM
I'm running Oblivion at 1024x768; HDR; everything max on x2 3800+, 2x1Gb Corsair 400Mhz 2-3-3-6 and 7800GT(400/1000). From time to time(not often) I have some stuttering. It seems that Oblivion wants more than 2Gb of memory...
What is the situation in your systems with 2Gb memory?
no, Oblivion does not need more memory. Oblivion is just a taxing game. Increased system memory will do you no good. Now, if you had a video card with 512mb ram that "might" help, but with 2gb system ram you should be fine.

SH64
04-05-06, 06:12 PM
no, Oblivion does not need more memory. Oblivion is just a taxing game. Increased system memory will do you no good. Now, if you had a video card with 512mb ram that "might" help, but with 2gb system ram you should be fine.
Agreed. its not a memory issue. i even think the game only uses 1GB of RAM.

& just FYI memory hog games - for example - will usually take long if you try switching between the game & desktop (or trying other tasks while playing) if you dont have enough RAM .. this is not the case with Oblivion.
i think the stuttering is due to the amount of pop-ups appearing on the screen when a new area is loaded at once .. that most likely put some heavy strain on the CPU or the GPU.

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 08:32 PM
Agreed. its not a memory issue. i even think the game only uses 1GB of RAM.

& just FYI memory hog games - for example - will usually take long if you try switching between the game & desktop (or trying other tasks while playing) if you dont have enough RAM .. this is not the case with Oblivion.
i think the stuttering is due to the amount of pop-ups appearing on the screen when a new area is loaded at once .. that most likely put some heavy strain on the CPU or the GPU.
And the hard drive. I think the main problem is that the game doesnt load ENOUGH into ram, so it reads from the hard drive for every little thing it has to load. I wonder if there are any tweaks that can force the game to load a lot more of the models\sounds\effects so it doesnt skip every time you do something.

a12ctic
04-05-06, 08:35 PM
I ran it on 512 mb of ram ;)

agentkay
04-05-06, 11:18 PM
I donīt know what it is but I get memory leak symptoms. When I start the game, the framerate is nice, very smooth, almost no HDD-related pauses, but 2 hours later I get tons of HDD-related pauses at the same places (and others). Now when I close the game and restart it, they are gone.

ini settings:

uInterior Cell Buffer=6
uExterior Cell Buffer=72
iPreloadSizeLimit=52428800

Mathas
04-06-06, 07:40 AM
And performance with mine 7800GT is strongly lower in indoor scenes comparing with "firingsquad" tests.

Tygerwoody
04-06-06, 08:37 AM
I donīt know what it is but I get memory leak symptoms. When I start the game, the framerate is nice, very smooth, almost no HDD-related pauses, but 2 hours later I get tons of HDD-related pauses at the same places (and others). Now when I close the game and restart it, they are gone.

ini settings:

uInterior Cell Buffer=6
uExterior Cell Buffer=72
iPreloadSizeLimit=52428800
I have the opposite happen with me. My game starts doing small pauses within the first minute of me getting on. Within 2 minutes the pauses go away from loading everything. The longer I play, it seems like the more goes into memory, thus speeding up the entire game.

Superfly
04-06-06, 08:45 AM
I have the opposite happen with me. My game starts doing small pauses within the first minute of me getting on. Within 2 minutes the pauses go away from loading everything. The longer I play, it seems like the more goes into memory, thus speeding up the entire game.

agreed, I get a few hitches when I first load the game up but it soon clears up.