PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion blacking out every once in a while?

repoman0
04-05-06, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, first post here, I also belong to EOCF and XS if anyone here visits there as well :)

Anyway on to the problem- anyone else having Oblivion black out when talking close up to characters? The screen go black, except for the dialogue options or speechcraft thing. I had the mem at 1.33GHz, lowering it to stock made it go away until just now, I lowered it to 1.29GHz (below stock :thumbdwn: ) to see if it happens again..

Thanks

CaptNKILL
04-05-06, 10:57 PM
I have mostly gotten this when I had some program running in the background and it popped something up (even in the task bar). If someone messages me in yahoo messenger, i get a black screen in Oblivion.

Id suggest turning off any programs you have in the background first.

agentkay
04-05-06, 10:57 PM
Yes I get it once in a while. Sometimes I can play a session for hours and other times I get this problem after 2 minutes or so.

Post your system specs and driver version, Im using 84.25 with the rig in my sig.

rek075
04-05-06, 11:50 PM
I got this first time playing. Lowered my overclock and it never came back.

Brimstone7
04-06-06, 01:23 AM
Same thing with me. Lowered the clocks and never came back for me either.

Thumper58
04-06-06, 02:21 PM
...also get this problem, "...sometimes I can play a session for hours and other times I get this problem after 2 minutes or so".

...the only thing that I have OC'd is my 7900GTs...and they seem to be very stable, I'll try dropping them back to stock speeds....

Kevin

repoman0
04-06-06, 02:44 PM
I don't have anything in the background except AVG and MBM, they really don't do anything though in the background

I think it was my memory clocks, lowered to 1.29GHz and it's been fine.. bs that I have to run below stock to play the game. If I ever get the motivation I am going to get an x1900xt and get rid of this pos

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 02:53 PM
I don't have anything in the background except AVG and MBM, they really don't do anything though in the background

I think it was my memory clocks, lowered to 1.29GHz and it's been fine.. bs that I have to run below stock to play the game. If I ever get the motivation I am going to get an x1900xt and get rid of this pos
Id keep it at those settings for a while (a few days at least) just to make 100% sure thats what it is.

I think I only ever had it happen once on its own without YIM causing it. And even then it could have been something else having a little popup in the taskbar.

Hope you get it all worked out though.

And dont be too quick to jump on an ATI card... there are complaints on both sides of the fence.

firestartar
04-06-06, 03:51 PM
Hi..my fix was to switch from hdr to bloom, using the beta forceware 84.25. Never seen the blacking out since. With hdr, overclocked or not, it always blacked out in rooms and with people..

repoman0
04-15-06, 08:36 AM
Id keep it at those settings for a while (a few days at least) just to make 100% sure thats what it is.

I think I only ever had it happen once on its own without YIM causing it. And even then it could have been something else having a little popup in the taskbar.

Hope you get it all worked out though.

And dont be too quick to jump on an ATI card... there are complaints on both sides of the fence.

hahaha, too late, it's coming on monday. HDR+AA should be nice, maybe at 1600x1200 :tongue2:

Now to get it in the water loop without re-doing it :confused:

repoman0
04-15-06, 08:38 AM
Hi..my fix was to switch from hdr to bloom, using the beta forceware 84.25. Never seen the blacking out since. With hdr, overclocked or not, it always blacked out in rooms and with people..

That could have been it too, I had just switched to HDR..

CaptNKILL
04-15-06, 01:41 PM
hahaha, too late, it's coming on monday. HDR+AA should be nice, maybe at 1600x1200 :tongue2:

Now to get it in the water loop without re-doing it :confused:
You cant do HDR+AA, even on ATI cards...

repoman0
04-15-06, 01:44 PM
You cant do HDR+AA, even on ATI cards...

Haha, someone spends too much time in Nvidia forums :p jk man

There is a thing called the "chuck" patch specifically made for ATi cards that allows HDR+AA in Oblivion. Made by a guy named chuck, probably works at ati

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=216323

He does work at ati, what do you know

surfhurleydude
04-16-06, 12:01 PM
Well, I haven't had this problem with Oblivion on PC, but I actually had this problem with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter for XBox 360... Same EXACT thing you would describe, basically everything that was constructed of a polygon would turn black. I picked up Oblivion today, and I'm hoping it won't do the same thing... Perhaps it is a development problem with HDR?