PDA

View Full Version : What settings can I run Oblivion at?

deadman_uk
04-05-06, 10:38 PM
I am upgrading my PC in the next 2 weeks and was wondering what settings I could run Oblivion at (and still maintain a good performance)

Here is what my specs will be in the next 2 weeks..

AMD Athlon64 3500+ Winchester
ASUS A8N-E Nforce4 Ultra
1GB PC3200 DDR400 (single channel)
eVGA Geforce 7900GT CO 256mb
Western Digital 320GB SATA-II Hard drive (16mb cache)
Windows XP slipstreamed with SP2

So what settings do you all think I could run Oblivion at? I won't be going over 1280x1024 resolution as my monitor @ 1600x1200 only displays at 75hz.

Also... is it a good idea to leave AA and bloom on, or would HDR be a better choice?

thanks for any help!

sillyeagle
04-05-06, 10:44 PM
With my system I run at 1280x960 2xAA 8xAF with bloom, all settings and sliders maxed, and get 25-45fps. If I drop the 2xAA and go with HDR I get 20% poorer performance in the video card limited areas, though many areas are cpu limited, even at 2.7GHz....

EDIT: You can use this guide to find the relative performance of your card vs mine to give you an idea of what settings you can probably use....

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/

Clay
04-05-06, 10:44 PM
Oblivion is a very CPU intensive game so that will be your main bottleneck. Read through this guide (http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html) for performance tips.

HDR is natually going to be more taxing than bloom. My opinion is that HDR on is the only way to play Oblivion. The aliasing (you can't have AA and HDR together) isn't a big deal to me with Oblivion for some reason. HDR really adds a lot to the game.

I would play at 1024x768, HDR on and 4xAF. You will also want to explore some of the tweaks mentioned before to get a good performance/IQ balance that suits you.

MUYA
04-05-06, 11:03 PM
Oblivion is a very CPU intensive game so that will be your main bottleneck. Read through this guide (http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html) for performance tips.

HDR is natually going to be more taxing that bloom my opinion is that HDR on is the only way to play Oblivion. The aliasing (you can't have AA and HDR together) isn't a big deal to me with Oblivion for some reason. HDR really adds a lot to the game.

I would play at 1024x768, HDR on and 4xAF. You will also want to explore some of the tweaks mentioned before to get a good performance/IQ balance that suits you.
I concur with Clay. I prefer to play with HDR on at 1280 by 1024 with 16 xAF and Capts, and other mods. :)

MUYA
04-05-06, 11:09 PM
I also notice less jaggies with Oblivion than otehr games? I dunno why better raster (or something techy explanation) programing?

OWA
04-05-06, 11:12 PM
I also notice less jaggies with Oblivion than otehr games? I dunno why better raster (or something techy explanation) programing?
Yeah, same here. I hardly notice them at all and that was pretty surprising.

sillyeagle
04-05-06, 11:20 PM

Same here, normally I require 4x to satisfy me, but in Olbivion I only need 2x, and thats just in town. In the wilderness its not needed at all, yet I still use it for the architecture.

MUYA
04-05-06, 11:27 PM
Same here, normally I require 4x to satisfy me, but in Olbivion I only need 2x, and thats just in town. In the wilderness its not needed at all, yet I still use it for the architecture.
Off topic:
Interesting Avatar Eagle. Krishna as he revealed himself to Arjuna in Mahabharat?

deadman_uk
04-06-06, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I only have 1GB of ram, will this be a problem? How does 1GB of ram compair with 2GB in gaming?

Pepsiboy
04-06-06, 03:52 PM
I notice a lot of jaggies...i always do though.