PDA

View Full Version : My 360 is cooked.

Pages : [1] 2 3

brady
04-06-06, 08:21 AM
Yesterday I tried to play a relaxing game of Oblivion when all of the sudden the console froze up. I thought it was just some freak thing, so I got it all up and running again. To my surprise, after about one minute into gameplay, the system froze again. "Hmm" I thought. Rebooted, and tried again, and recieved the same results. At this point I couldn't even boot into the dashboard without it freezing. I decided to give GRAW a go at it. It froze up before I was able to load a level.

I rebooted again, and was greated by three lovely red lights around the power button. I hopped onto xbox.com to see what that meant and followed the knowledge base article to the letter. I then rebooted and it went to the dashboard. I thought everything was fine. My wife even played Zuma for about 30 minutes with no problems, and I was able to play the Tomb Raider demo for a little bit...

And then it began freezing again. It finally got the point where I couldn't boot the machine at all and was only recieving the three ominous red lights. So I called up Microsoft and now I'm expecting a box from them in which I'll have to ship my 360 off and wait for it to be repaired or I'll be sent a new machine.

In any event, this is pretty annoying. It isn't going to ruin my life or anything, however, paying that much for something only to have it crap out 5 months after you get it is less than fun. My machine was purchased on day one and I have read reports of many others with similar problems.

I'm personally convinced it is an overheating issue, because the problem began and was only aggrivated during attempts at actual gameplay. If I was willing to just buy a new machine I imagine, upon upening this one, I would find that the thermal pad/paste would be very poorly applied. I've even read reports in which individuals found that the thermal pad was still attached to the contact paper (which is a small strip of tin or Al I think).

I think the 360 is great in just about everyway. Microsoft produced a fantastic machine. However, this has convinced me that the release was a little bit too rushed. I imagine waiting just a few more weeks would have helped iron out this issue. I would also think that the amount they are having to spend on all the refurbishments/replacements is greater than the amount they would have had to have spent or lost in waiting. Of course, I could be wrong. Perhaps they factored in this "damage control".

[/end mild rant]

ENU291
04-06-06, 08:36 AM
Well Brady you are not alone. My 360 crapped out on me after only 3 months. The return process is not to bad though... once you send it out it should only take about 3 days for MS to send you a new 360. From initial phone call to having a new 360 only took 5 business days for me. If you purchased the extended warranty from MS make sure you call them after you receive the new 360 and make sure they transfer your new serial number.

|MaguS|
04-06-06, 08:45 AM
My x360 died the week I got it, be happy you got 5 months before yours went. I think they have a new revision out aswell since this new hasn't given me any issue at all.

agentkay
04-06-06, 08:54 AM
How long is the warrenty? 2 years?

Mr. Hunt
04-06-06, 09:07 AM
Hmm... this sucks... sorry to hear you are going to be put out... I have been thinking of picking up a 360 lately (no games out I want right now, but Dead rising is out in like 2 months or something, and that game looks awesomely fun :\)... and I heard about the revision (heard it was quieter, cooler, and had a better drive)... but I might have to wait a bit longer just to be on the safer side.

msxyz
04-06-06, 10:14 AM
Did you purchase your Xbox at launch ?

Welcome to the club, mate. My Xbox (manufactured on the first week of October 2005) died on me in the same way. And it seems that most of the early machines have stopped working within the first few months, if not weeks.

At least the Microsoft replacement program is very efficient and I had a new machine delivered in a week.

brady
04-06-06, 10:59 AM
Did you purchase your Xbox at launch ?

Welcome to the club, mate. My Xbox (manufactured on the first week of October 2005) died on me in the same way. And it seems that most of the early machines have stopped working within the first few months, if not weeks.

At least the Microsoft replacement program is very efficient and I had a new machine delivered in a week.

I'm not at home right now, but I believe my manufacture date is the same as yours. It does seem like a pretty decent percentage of 1st day buyers have had problems. The efficiency of the replacement program is another point that leads me to believe they knew there would be a sizable problem. I think they also knew that pushing the release date back so late in the game would have upset quite a few people. I guess they were stuck between a rock and a hard place...

I'm glad to hear the the replacement program is working well. For the most part, the response from Microsoft has been pretty good, from what I've read.

I think, part of the reason for the lack of machines just after launch was because they knew they needed to revise the cooling of the machine. The slight changes in production produced a delay. The initial group of first machines were shipped anyway so that they could say they kept the release date. They knew that many of them would have problems, but were banking that it would be some manageable percentage and figured that they could simply replace the broken ones with new ones as they complaints came in.

Don't know about you, but that's a pretty scrambled business plan...assuming that's what happened.

brady
04-06-06, 11:00 AM
Well Brady you are not alone. My 360 crapped out on me after only 3 months. The return process is not to bad though... once you send it out it should only take about 3 days for MS to send you a new 360. From initial phone call to having a new 360 only took 5 business days for me. If you purchased the extended warranty from MS make sure you call them after you receive the new 360 and make sure they transfer your new serial number.

How much is the extended warranty?

ENU291
04-06-06, 11:03 AM
How much is the extended warranty?
The warranty was offered by MS in the box the 360 came in for $59.99. It extends the warranty of the 360 by 2 years. The problem is that they only gave you 7 days from the initial purchase date to send in the extended warranty request. (I could be wrong on that though.)

BTW... the 360 that crapped out on me was also purchased at launch so your take on the whole lack of 360 hardware because of cooling issues makes sense!

brady
04-06-06, 11:04 AM
The warranty was offered by MS in the box the 360 came in for $59.99. It extends the warranty of the 360 by 2 years. The problem is that they only gave you 7 days from the initial purchase date to send in the extended warranty request. (I could be wrong on that though.)

Yikes. I'll try to dig up my 360 box and see if I can find that info.

evilchris
04-06-06, 11:15 AM
And it seems that most of the early machines have stopped working within the first few months, if not weeks.

Do you really believe this? Do you think there have been 200,000 failures already? I think this would have made a news article somewhere.

My launch Xbox runs cool as can be and has never had any issues. I don't think there is some sinister design problem in the launch units. I think electronics just fail sometimes.

PeterJensen
04-06-06, 11:16 AM
I dont get why you buy the warrenty... Here in Denmark all products have 2 yeas warrenty from the dealer that sells it to you. So if my xbox died i would take i back where i bought and get a new og get them to fix it.

Q
04-06-06, 11:18 AM
I dont get why you buy the warrenty... Here in Denmark all products have 2 yeas warrenty from the dealer that sells it to you. So if my xbox died i would take i back where i bought and get a new og get them to fix it.

Not everyone lives in Denmark. Do you get it now? :D

Ruined
04-06-06, 11:24 AM
Just as a point of contrast, I have a launch XBOX 360 that has worked flawlessly since day one.

brady
04-06-06, 11:50 AM
Just as a point of contrast, I have a launch XBOX 360 that has worked flawlessly since day one.

I thought I did too untill yesterday. All I'm saying is that the percentage of broken machines *seems* to be very high. I don't think, by any means, that 200,000+- machines have broken down.

It just seems as if they took a yield of GPU's or CPU's (I'm guessing GPU's) and were strapped for time and so they threw them in the machines and shipped them out without the kind of concern for stable yields they may have now. With graphics chips (or any chip for that matter) initial yields are poor even though some of them work just fine. It's hardly an exact science. I simply believe that the first shipment yields of stable chips were lower than what would be normally acceptable. In trying to make shipment they were willing to accept the potential loss of lower than normal stability.

Additionally, the problem has been reported on in the news. I even remember hearing a small blurb on it on either CNN or Foxnews. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Please understand. I think the machine is amazing. I look forward to getting mine back. We even use it as our primary media center for TV, music...everything.

OWA
04-06-06, 12:12 PM
I'm really worried about that with mine. Although I just got it recently, it runs so hot that I'm afraid it's eventually going to fail.

Did you keep yours in a cabinet or was it in a more open area? I was going to keep mine in a more open area but it's just too loud for that so it's in a A/V cabinet. It heats things up so much now I'm also a little worried about the other components in the cabinet. I hope to install some low-speed and hopefully low-noise fans this weekend to help exhaust some of the heat build-up.

evilchris
04-06-06, 12:19 PM
I'm really worried about that with mine. Although I just got it recently, it runs so hot that I'm afraid it's eventually going to fail.

Did you keep yours in a cabinet or was it in a more open area? I was going to keep mine in a more open area but it's just too loud for that so it's in a A/V cabinet. It heats things up so much now I'm also a little worried about the other components in the cabinet. I hope to install some low-speed and hopefully low-noise fans this weekend to help exhaust some of the heat build-up.

Mine is under my TV stand, horizontally. Doesn't even get what I'd call warm. The case is pretty much room temperature even after 5 hours of use. My only complaint with mine is it is loud.

brady
04-06-06, 02:20 PM
Both my 360 and power supply were not in cramped areas and my 360 was vertical. I never noticed any unusual heat. The heat it produced was about what I expected for what was inside. I certainly believe it ran hotter than my PC. Of course, I don't play games for hours on my PC either...

PeterJensen
04-06-06, 03:21 PM
I got my x360 in December here in Denmark and its running great, not one crash to date. Also it dont seem to get hot.

LiquidX
04-06-06, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Brad but I think every launch 360 will eventually die. Everyone I know with one has had problems. Mine cant play Oblivion without the ring of death or disk problems. Its probably the most venilated hardware I have yet its like under a blanket with the amount of heat it gives off. I dont have much hope mine it will last past a year.

brady
04-06-06, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Brad but I think every launch 360 will eventually die. Everyone I know with one has had problems. Mine cant play Oblivion without the ring of death or disk problems. Its probably the most venilated hardware I have yet its like under a blanket with the amount of heat it gives off. I dont have much hope mine it will last past a year.

Yeah, I got on the txb and xbox.com forums and both hardware sections have a sticky devoted to the problem. Needless to say, they are very long threads...:thumbdwn:

Buenamos
04-06-06, 09:14 PM

Luckily mine hasn't crapped out on me yet and i got mine on launch night. *crosses fingers*

brady
04-06-06, 09:23 PM
Luckily mine hasn't crapped out on me yet and i got mine on launch night. *crosses fingers*

Best of luck to you...seriously though, I know there are quite a few people with problems, perhaps more than there should be. However, the chances of having a "crappy" system are still pretty low. The vast majority of consumers will have no problems. It just sucks for those of us who do...

Mr. Hunt
04-06-06, 11:37 PM
Well I just went and bought one about 2 hours ago... haven't had any luck with it... it turns on, haven't bought games yet (none that really interest me yet).. so I figured I would hop online and download some demos... tells me I HAVE to download an update (probably the crap to do "backwards compatability"... I start it, then it gives me an error about my harddrive may be full... I check, 12 gigs free... nothing has worked yet... gg Microsoft... glad "Live" "simplifies" everything.

Mr. Hunt
04-06-06, 11:56 PM
Well I FINALLY got it to work (had to actually DOWNLOAD and BURN a file that was like 6 megs to a disc and use that to update)... but now it won't connect... says some crap about my MTU setting failing, even though earlier it failed and I changed the router setting to the "suggested" Live setting... and then it passed... now it fails... glad Microsoft made playing online SO MUCH SIMPLAR!

Oh wait... I bought my PS2 network adapter and 10 minutes later I was playing online... here I am nearly 3 hours later... can't get **** to work.