PDA

View Full Version : Still Broken?

ventriloquate
04-06-06, 12:16 PM
<rant>

I appologize for being repetitive if someone already pointed this out but stealth is still far too easy to train.

For those of you who played Morrowind, training stealth was as simple as walking into a shop and scotch taping your left-ctrl key down. In Oblivion, with the advent of permanent stealth mode, I found myself a wall, went into stealth, and walked into it for a few hours.

Radiant AI, amazing? Well, I did end up robbing a shop. Picked the lock (at level 1) and waltzed in. Took a few things of minor worth and walked out. Some 10-15 minutes later a guard catches up to me in some random other building and accuses me of stealing? Riiight. Good job there. Arena fights, pretty decent until you realize that the AI is somewhere between stupid and retarded. Since they added active mana regen, it's really easy to walk around healing yourself without getting hit at all. Not to mention that you can "stick" the AI in places where it can't get out and just stand around healing yourself at your leisure. AI archers are really amazing too. Cast bound dagger, spam left mouse click a few times and they die without so much as a whimper. Not bad for a spell that you can get cheaply in the first town in the game.

Since i've managed to fix most of my crashes now, I wonder what new and amazing exploits await me in the rest of the game.

Hint hint, have a real beta test Bethesda. I didn't pay for this game so I could be your beta tester.

</rant>

nV`andrew
04-06-06, 12:22 PM
yea i admit the AI is pretty bad...but still, you gotta appreciate the other aspects of Oblivion that make the game great

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 12:23 PM
So, you search for exploits, then you exploit them, then you blame it on the game? :p

It isnt perfect, but if you search for (and take advantage of) exploits in any game, its going to unbalance things.

As far as the guards finding you, its because you were only level 1 and your stealth skill was very low. I could loot a whole house at level 15 and no one ever found out. I could even kill people in their homes without getting any bounty on my head (as long as no one saw me).

gray fox
04-06-06, 12:59 PM
<rant>

I appologize for being repetitive if someone already pointed this out but stealth is still far too easy to train.

For those of you who played Morrowind, training stealth was as simple as walking into a shop and scotch taping your left-ctrl key down. In Oblivion, with the advent of permanent stealth mode, I found myself a wall, went into stealth, and walked into it for a few hours.

Radiant AI, amazing? Well, I did end up robbing a shop. Picked the lock (at level 1) and waltzed in. Took a few things of minor worth and walked out. Some 10-15 minutes later a guard catches up to me in some random other building and accuses me of stealing? Riiight. Good job there. Arena fights, pretty decent until you realize that the AI is somewhere between stupid and retarded. Since they added active mana regen, it's really easy to walk around healing yourself without getting hit at all. Not to mention that you can "stick" the AI in places where it can't get out and just stand around healing yourself at your leisure. AI archers are really amazing too. Cast bound dagger, spam left mouse click a few times and they die without so much as a whimper. Not bad for a spell that you can get cheaply in the first town in the game.

Since i've managed to fix most of my crashes now, I wonder what new and amazing exploits await me in the rest of the game.

Hint hint, have a real beta test Bethesda. I didn't pay for this game so I could be your beta tester.

</rant>

Radiant AI is nothing to do with the way the enemies and NPC'S fight. Its more about how they act and react to things as well as talking to each other and having daily routines.

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 01:15 PM
Radiant AI is nothing to do with the way the enemies and NPC'S fight. Its more about how they act and react to things as well as talking to each other and having daily routines.
Yeah, and while its no where near as complex as it seemed in the original videos they showed from E3 (i have yet to see anyone invite me upstairs, take potions to boost skills -which isnt even possible- or feed pets) but it still works very well.

Its awesome to see everyone getting up in the morning to open their shops or tend to their feilds. It may seem simplistic, but the effect is great IMO. Its much better than anything like this I've seen in any other game.

The AI could be better with pathfinding, but thats really the only problem I've noticed. It seems very good other than getting stuck trying to get around obstacles. Im a bit surprised they havent fixed this kind of thing yet, but it could be down to performance issues. More complex pathfinding probably puts a huge load on a CPU with so many people running around at once... and a big CPU load is the last thing this game needs ;)

Slybri
04-06-06, 02:16 PM
Basically the Radiant AI is like The Sims, only simpler. The NPCs walk around and talk to each other and go to work and go to sleep. Thank god they don't have to go to the bathroom.

Pepsiboy
04-06-06, 04:45 PM
Captn is SO RIGHT. I have a friend who buys games...finds everything wrong with them and exploits it. He then hates the game in an hour and returns it. He did this with Oblivion too. People like him annoy the hell out of me.

Sidric
04-06-06, 09:36 PM
Radiant AI, amazing? Well, I did end up robbing a shop. Picked the lock (at level 1) and waltzed in. Took a few things of minor worth and walked out. Some 10-15 minutes later a guard catches up to me in some random other building and accuses me of stealing?

if ANYBODY sees you stealing, a guard will catch up to you eventually. thats why when you try to steal something, go in sneak mode, make sure that eye is transparent and steal away. if somebody sees or knows you're there and you steal, the guards will git ya.

nV`andrew
04-06-06, 10:22 PM
Basically the Radiant AI is like The Sims, only simpler. The NPCs walk around and talk to each other and go to work and go to sleep. Thank god they don't have to go to the bathroom.

heck, if they had to go to the bathroom, i'd bet the next conservation between the NPCs would probably be "Hello - Good to see you - Did you hear about that big poop the Count took yesterday? - No, but i finally learned how to pee standing up! - Oh good to hear - Well i shall see you around - Bless you "