PDA

View Full Version : What good is Shadows??

ElGuapo
04-06-06, 12:28 PM
I chose the Shadow trait or whatever so that I could become invisible and steal stuff. Well I made myself invisble, took some stuff off the counter, and left the shop. When I came back in, the merchant somehow knows that I stole from him? He called the guards. How is that possible? What is even the point of being invisible if you can still be identified? Makes no sense.

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 12:35 PM
You cant do anything when you are invisible. You can run around and you can sneak, but as soon as you do anything (take, talk, attack, pick a lock) you become visible again.

Chameleon gives you the ability to be less visible while still being able to do things. It doesnt work as good as invisibility for being undetected, but using a powerful (large %) Chameleon spell or potion works great for assassin or theif types.

The game would be horribly unbalanced if invisibility was just "no one can see me and I can do anything I want". This is how all of the Elder Scrolls games have been.

Tygerwoody
04-06-06, 12:44 PM
that still doesn't answer his question. What good is Shadow? I have "Shadow" birth symbol and I haven't used it any. If I do use it, I just get caught so there is no point in it. Shadow = :thumbdwn:

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 12:57 PM
that still doesn't answer his question. What good is Shadow? I have "Shadow" birth symbol and I haven't used it any. If I do use it, I just get caught so there is no point in it. Shadow = :thumbdwn:
No actually, I did answer his question ;)

You use invisibility to move 100% undected. For example, to sneak past 5 people in a house to get up stairs where you can steal whatever it is you want.

Invisibility = guaranteed moving undetected
Chameleon = % chance that you wont be detected (doing whatever you are doing)

ElGuapo
04-06-06, 01:04 PM
I cant believe you are recommending I steal stuff?? What kind of community is this??

CaptNKILL
04-06-06, 01:06 PM
I cant believe you are recommending I steal stuff?? What kind of community is this??
:p

Pepsiboy
04-06-06, 03:48 PM
Ok so say 2 ogres jump you. You can either die a horrible death or you can throw on invisibilty and walk out of harms way. It is VERY VERY useful. Trust me.

ElGuapo
04-06-06, 06:39 PM
not if I already used it to steal stuff

Pepsiboy
04-06-06, 07:31 PM
You shouldnt need to use it to steal stuff. Thats easy enough as it is :)

ElGuapo
04-06-06, 07:37 PM
how so?

Edit : I am a newb

Zelda_fan
04-06-06, 07:42 PM
invisible or no, you have to have a decent sneak skill to steal stuff

Sidric
04-06-06, 08:17 PM
I use moonshadow a ton . . it makes some dungeons absolutely trivial if its up. Don't feel like fighting twenty people on the way out? Disappear. And I just walk, or in most cases run right by them completely unnoticced. I also use it when I have a ton o loot as the grey fox. Since you get 200 feather with the mask, you can carry a crapload of stuff on you but if you show up in a city with it on to sell it, the guards will nail you(500 bounty with it on) before you have a chance to take it off. So what do I do? Step inside the city, moonshadow, run to the nearest vendor, take the mask off as soon as I'm inside, sell the loot, done. Quite handy imo.

how so?

Edit : I am a newb

you just have to be very observant, and pay attention to that little eye thing when you're sneaking. as long as its transparent, you're golden.