View Full Version : Screens from a Revolution game

Pages : [1] 2

kaltek
04-07-06, 05:02 PM
A game from Ubisoft named Red Steel.
http://selectivegamers.com/content/view/417/154/

hordaktheman
04-07-06, 06:06 PM
It's hard to judge by these shots, but that looks quite a bit better than the supposed specs let on.

-=DVS=-
04-07-06, 06:14 PM
Also notice how hand in game moves just like your hand outside with controller :p now you can hold pistol sideways Gangsta style lol :D

Am_I_Evil
04-07-06, 07:45 PM
http://gonintendo.com/?p=1920

Edge
04-07-06, 08:10 PM
It's hard to judge by these shots, but that looks quite a bit better than the supposed specs let on.
I think it looks about the same. Even in raw mhz ratings the Revolution is about 50% more powerful than the Gamecube, which didn't look bad to begin with. Not to mention the fact that developers will already have a handle on the hardware. It's not really surprising that it looks good.

Also notice how hand in game moves just like your hand outside with controller :p now you can hold pistol sideways Gangsta style lol :D
Trespasser's legacy continues :D

Knot3D
04-08-06, 07:12 AM
Looks great ! Let's hope it is not an 'on-rails' shooter like Killer7

brady
04-08-06, 08:48 AM
Looks great ! Let's hope it is not an 'on-rails' shooter like Killer7

The article indicates that it is not. Also worth noting, this game is not an on-rails shooter. It is a fully 3d FPS game.

Knot3D
04-08-06, 09:43 AM
Heheh, indeed, upon further reading it became clear.

aAv7
04-08-06, 09:39 PM
Looks more like concept art to me than in-game screen shots. But I remember reading an interview somewhere a few months ago with a developer saying it was alot more powerful than they thought it would be.

The biggest problem is though, that even if it was hypothetically more powerful than both xbox360 and ps3, it still has no hdtv support which means games wont get the full treatment benefits like that of an hdtv monitor or pc monitor.

The stuff will not shine like it will on 360 and ps3. So it's gonna be much more focused on the hand gadget than anything else.

hordaktheman
04-08-06, 11:07 PM
I think it looks about the same. Even in raw mhz ratings the Revolution is about 50% more powerful than the Gamecube, which didn't look bad to begin with. Not to mention the fact that developers will already have a handle on the hardware. It's not really surprising that it looks good.Sure, but I meant in terms of the graphics chips capabilities rather than (mhz) performance. There was some discussion a while ago of whether the Revos GPU would get an upgrade and have shader capabilities, or merely be a mhz boost of the Gamecubes (fixed function T&L) GPU. Judging by these shots, it kinda looks like it's going to be the former.

Arioch
04-09-06, 03:33 AM
Too bad I refuse to go back to 480p console gaming.

Edge
04-09-06, 04:35 AM
Sure, but I meant in terms of the graphics chips capabilities rather than (mhz) performance. There was some discussion a while ago of whether the Revos GPU would get an upgrade and have shader capabilities, or merely be a mhz boost of the Gamecubes (fixed function T&L) GPU. Judging by these shots, it kinda looks like it's going to be the former.
Well, IGN's article said it was unlikely that they were adding shaders, and in all honesty I don't really see anything in those shots that couldn't be pulled off by DX7-level hardware (maybe a few DX8 shaders for some of the surfaces). It's pretty amazing what you can do with technology with a few tricks, just look at Unreal 2, and I don't even think that game used any DX8 effects.

Am_I_Evil
04-09-06, 07:00 AM

yeah...because only graphics matter...i mean who gives a **** about gameplay if the game doesn't look better than all the other games out there...:wtf:

Knot3D
04-09-06, 07:40 AM

Imho ; An awesome graphics engine with higher poly count @ 480P > a mediocre graphics engine with lower polycount @ 1080p

hordaktheman
04-09-06, 12:17 PM
Well, IGN's article said it was unlikely that they were adding shaders, and in all honesty I don't really see anything in those shots that couldn't be pulled off by DX7-level hardware (maybe a few DX8 shaders for some of the surfaces). It's pretty amazing what you can do with technology with a few tricks, just look at Unreal 2, and I don't even think that game used any DX8 effects.
Ya, that's kinda what I meant. I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something about these shots that strikes me as impossible on 'fixed function' hardware. I think it's the lighting on the characters, and the neon signs, but I'm not sure.

Then again, I could be completely off. Just because I never saw it on DX7 hardware doesn't mean it's not possible on DX7 hardware. Either way, it looks better than I was expecting given the reported specs.

msxyz
04-09-06, 01:57 PM
DirectX 7 class of hardware has never been utilized to its fully extent.

A prime example is perturbed UV mapping, supported since DirectX6 but implemented only into Matrox G400 and the original Radeon and which was used to a limited extent in certain games in the form of environmental bump mapping.

But these games barely scratched the surface of what it's possible with this technique. It allows dependant texture reads which, in turn open the door to more sophisticated effects like water refelctions (and refractions), heat haze, lens distortions and procedurally generated surfaces for creating realistic smoke and flames. It's also well suited to create fake shiny or "wet" surfaces.

Other effects, notably bloom and glare don't require any particular hardware function but only a high fillrate because the scene has to be rendered several times.

Also don't forget that per-pixel lighting has been available on DirectX 7 hardware and you can run a game like Doom 3 / Quake IV on a GeForce2

nrdstrm
04-09-06, 06:23 PM
Not sure if this pic has been posted before...Revolution controller...I had never seen it up close...If you all have, I appologise :)

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/192/nintendocontroller7zl.jpg

jAkUp
04-09-06, 06:26 PM
how on earth are you supposed to hit those buttons with 1 hand???!! Is there buttons on the back? I can't imagine there is only 3 buttons

Am_I_Evil
04-09-06, 06:59 PM
how on earth are you supposed to hit those buttons with 1 hand???!! Is there buttons on the back? I can't imagine there is only 3 buttons

there's 2 buttons(triggers) on the analog stick thing connected...there's a trigger on the back of the "remote" as well as that big A button....

my guess is the lower buttons are only for when you are playing like an NES game or something (note that sideways its basically an NES control)...

Nutty
04-09-06, 07:05 PM
Even though Gamecube was a fixed function GPU, it still had quite alot more fixed functions and flexability than PC fixed function cards.

AFAIK Revolution will be similar.

kev13dd
04-10-06, 01:55 AM
There is a button on the back!

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308860&type=lg

One nice big button for all your gaming needs

With the idea of aiming and such, I doubt you'll need as many buttons. With the little joystick addon, all your movement needs are pretty much covered. The little joystick thing will have buttons that can crouch, prone, jump, all that movement style stuff. Shooting off screen will probably reload (old school!) and other the A or B will shoot. The directional pad can be for weapons, and the lower could be for anything special to the game. More buttons would be nice, but Nintendo must have ideas in mind if they are only throwing on that many buttons

K

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 02:20 AM
This thing is looking really damned cool. Especially with the sideways NES controller thing.

If they have some interesting games I can see myself getting one just because its FINALLY something new. The most recent console I own is a Playstation :p

I hope someone figures out a way to use these controllers on a PC though :D

DJMONDY
04-10-06, 04:19 AM
Im really looking forward to the revolution. i just hope they have something good for us all at e3!

Cant wait :)

ENU291
04-10-06, 09:52 AM
Is it just me or does that controller look like it should be sold as an after market gimmick instead of the main Revolution controller?

PikachuMan
04-10-06, 10:52 AM
Is it just me or does that controller look like it should be sold as an after market gimmick instead of the main Revolution controller?

Why? Wouldn't be much of a revolution without shaking things up a bit :D