PDA

View Full Version : 7900 eBay card Scalpers.

MaXThReAT
04-08-06, 03:37 PM
I for one am getting sick of this. How is it possible that every single one of my local stores is sold out of any type of 7900 as well as most e-stores but friggen E-bay has an over abundance of over priced brand new cards? I always prefer to buy local so if something goes wrong I can just take it right back. I've spoke with more than a few ebay sellsers and they said they have plenty of stock. I just wonder how many and if these ebay retailers are causing the shortages for everyone. Maybe they’re just not selling as fast at the higher prices but I doubt it. So lets just call this what it is, Video card scalping and it should be outlawed! :thumbdwn:
This is BS, does that look like a store, nice candels ya scalper:
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/maxthreat/BSBS.jpg

SLippe
04-08-06, 03:59 PM
This happens with a lot of products. I'm a big-time collector of Star Wars items and one thing that I have noticed over the past several years is that when a new figure comes out, mainly the hard to find ones, some people on eBay will have unopened cases of them. The only way I can see this type of thing happening is by them either working at or knowing someone that works at a store and they buy the whole box as soon as it comes off the truck, never hitting the shelves. eBay, while being good overall, has really caused new problems in the retail/collecting world with greedy-ass sellers.

As for that pic you posted, that is nuts. Obviously at a house. You know, you can always email the seller and just ask them how they got it. I've done that in the past, just don't expect an answer or a real long detailed answer. Some will say, some won't. I feel your frustration, man. :thumbdwn:

hemmy
04-08-06, 04:29 PM
maybe hes tryin to run 8 of those in SLI :\

killahsin
04-08-06, 04:46 PM
Sounds to me like alot of store owners are moving the cards to ebay, rather then selling them on the retail market. Thus creating their own supply and demand market, by 'creating' a shortage in supply themselves.

littlegreenguy
04-08-06, 05:02 PM
that image looks quite touched up.

GlowStick
04-08-06, 05:16 PM
This happens with a lot of products. I'm a big-time collector of Star Wars items and one thing that I have noticed over the past several years is that when a new figure comes out, mainly the hard to find ones, some people on eBay will have unopened cases of them. The only way I can see this type of thing happening is by them either working at or knowing someone that works at a store and they buy the whole box as soon as it comes off the truck, never hitting the shelves. eBay, while being good overall, has really caused new problems in the retail/collecting world with greedy-ass sellers.

As for that pic you posted, that is nuts. Obviously at a house. You know, you can always email the seller and just ask them how they got it. I've done that in the past, just don't expect an answer or a real long detailed answer. Some will say, some won't. I feel your frustration, man. :thumbdwn:
Actually on that part,

I had a friend who worked at 'Toys R Us' and at around midnight everytime there is some 'release' of a new star wars toy he gets bum rushed by 40 year-old fat men with credit cards.

MaXThReAT
04-08-06, 05:19 PM
that image looks quite touched up.

eBay Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/BFG-7900GTX-7900-GTX-512MB-NVIDIA-VIDEO-CARD-no-7800gtx_W0QQitemZ8792870712QQcategoryZ40161QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem) Not unless they touched it up themselves.
I'm still looking at haven't found anything for sale local. One store said Tue, I'm thinking that's my best bet.

MikeC
04-08-06, 05:55 PM
The Tech Report has a news blurb on the 7900's being scarce but not rare.

http://www.techreport.com/

nutball
04-08-06, 06:04 PM
*shrugs* I ordered a 7900GT yesterday, it was in stock and arrived this morning. I guess it pays to shop around and not be fussy about brand!

Lfctony
04-09-06, 02:31 AM
Oc.uk has some models in stock but they're still too expensive... :(

Mr_LoL
04-09-06, 02:54 AM
Looks like Nvidia is opening a can of whoopass on Ati when it comes to sales.