PDA

View Full Version : The most overhyped games...

Pages : [1] 2

dwhjr77
04-08-06, 09:46 PM
With the recent Oblivion release what where some of the most hyped up games that you can remember? I'm talking over the top on edge, about to pop hype.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty on PS2 (killer killer demo, biggest letdown ever in video game history - thx to the blonde man)

Half Life 2 (I should dig up the old threads on this one)

Doom 3 (anyhting new from JC is a good thing; good but not up to all the hype)

World of Warcraft (I went the EQ2 route due to EQ1 years, just recently got on WoW)

Oblivion (of course)

nV`andrew
04-08-06, 09:47 PM
i agree with basically all of them except for oblivion, though it was extremely 'hyped', it met all my expectations and more

Riptide
04-08-06, 09:56 PM
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me into WoW. I take it that it isn't an uber game like people seem to say then? What's wrong with it?

dwhjr77
04-08-06, 09:57 PM
Not saying Oblivion is a bad game (it's the greats RPG of all time IMO), just saying how hyped we were about it (1st game to hit all my expects)

nutcrackr
04-08-06, 09:59 PM
Deus Ex 2 was hyped until the demo was released.

CaptNKILL
04-08-06, 10:00 PM
Do you mean hyped the most or hyped and then let down?

Oblivion was probably the most hyped game I've seen recently, but it lived up to my expectations.

Doom 3 on the other hand was hyped a crapload and turned out to be... well... a shooter, that wasnt really scary and wasnt anything like Doom. What a letdown that was :\

dwhjr77
04-08-06, 10:04 PM
Just over hyped. Forget let down parts.

I want to add:

Diablo 2
Warcraft III (never played since I can't play an RTS to save my life)

jAkUp
04-08-06, 11:00 PM
Doom3 was probably the most hyped game in recent memory.

OWA
04-08-06, 11:10 PM
I think all the AAA titles are over-hyped but I'd say the one over-hyped the most ever would be Half-Life 2. Mostly because it was probably the most anticipated title and then the delay added another long period of hype while everyone waited for it.

Zelda_fan
04-08-06, 11:12 PM
imho WoW and Oblivion lived up to the hype fairly nicely

aAv7
04-08-06, 11:13 PM
Well pc games, yeah so far Half-Life 2, that extra year really pissed me off, but man did it hype me up good as each new screen or video came out.

I'm currently pretty hyped for condemned and ut2k7 :D

Grechie
04-09-06, 12:00 AM
I'm currently pretty hyped for condemned and ut2k7 :D

ill 2nd that!!

Mr_LoL
04-09-06, 01:46 AM
I would say half life 2 and fear.

|MaguS|
04-09-06, 06:22 AM
Halo 1 and 2...

I would also say EQ2 and WoW, They both were hyped up as the next coming of MMORPGs but are very generic and simplistic. No depth in either...

I don't agree with Half-Life 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 being there. MGS2 had an amazing story and gameplay (sure there was too much story but it was great) and HL2 was just a great followup to HL1, it kept the same atmosphere and tempo of the original.

Im going by Hyped and not living up to it.

msxyz
04-09-06, 06:42 AM
Oblivion was probably the most hyped game I've seen recently, but it lived up to my expectations.
You must have had very low expectations, then ;)

On every aspect of that game they underdeliverd what they promised.

Stealth system, AI and worst of all they prmoiused and RPG and we got an hack'n'slash adventure :p

Mr. Hunt
04-09-06, 06:49 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 pwned everything else until Metal Gear Solid 2... I get tired of you people bitching about Raiden... clearly you didn't understand the storyline one bit.

Capt. Picard
04-09-06, 07:10 AM
Just over hyped. Forget let down parts.

I want to add:

Diablo 2
Warcraft III (never played since I can't play an RTS to save my life)

What do you mean Diablo 2 was overhyped? It deserved and lived up to every bit of hype it got.

|MaguS|
04-09-06, 07:18 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 pwned everything else until Metal Gear Solid 2... I get tired of you people bitching about Raiden... clearly you didn't understand the storyline one bit.

Thank You!

The only part of the game that didn't live up to the hype was that fact that you didn't play as Snake the second half the of the game but other then that it lived up to everything it promised.

Knot3D
04-09-06, 07:18 AM

Well, MGS2 was overhyped imo. MGS4 has the same overhype potential, but somehow i think it has more chance to truly deliver.

I'm staying with one single 1900XTX to keep a possible PS3 budget....:D

Mr. Hunt
04-09-06, 07:21 AM
Well, MGS2 was overhyped imo. MGS4 has the same overhype potential, but somehow i think it has more chance to truly deliver.

I'm staying with one single 1900XTX to keep a possible PS3 budget....:D

But ZOH EM GEE TEH RAIDEN IS TOTILY IN MGSFOUR!@#!@ IT IS DUMED!

|MaguS|
04-09-06, 07:22 AM
Ho was it over hyped? Other then not playing as snake throughout most of the game, what aspect of the game did not live up to the hype? Was the story not as deep and confusing as the original? Was the new features and mechanics not implemented as promised?

Knot3D
04-09-06, 07:32 AM
The previews & demo gave everybody the impression MGS2 would be straight foward immersive like MGS1.

The final MGS2 SOL Plant chapter proved to be a bland non immersive repetitive
gameworld (monotonous orange BigShell) with over the top character plot twists which went beyond MGS1's 80's spy movie-like structure, where such things were within limits & context.

The AI Campbell screams "Turn off the game console right now !" to Raiden in Arsenal Gear. That's adding insult to injury when it comes to this game being the opposite of game immersion.

The ending dialogue with Solidus, the AI and Snake is genius though. It JUST saves the game, heheh.

MGS4 will be MGS2's true successor, so I'm having high hopes. (Raiden's said to be styled 'more cool')

Mr. Hunt
04-09-06, 07:42 AM
The previews & demo gave everybody the impression MGS2 would be straight foward immersive like MGS1.

The final MGS2 SOL Plant chapter proved to be a bland non immersive repetitive
gameworld (monotonous orange BigShell) with over the top character plot twists which went beyond MGS1's 80's spy movie-like structure, where such things were within limits & context.

The AI Campbell screams "Turn off the game console right now !" to Raiden in Arsenal Gear. That's adding insult to injury when it comes to this game being the opposite of game immersion.

The ending dialogue with Solidus, the AI and Snake is genius though. It JUST saves the game, heheh.

MGS4 will be MGS2's true successor, so I'm having high hopes. (Raiden's said to be styled 'more cool')

The AI Campbell part had its purpose... and don't whine about "immersion"...
Does this... immerse you?

"BEEP BEEP (my codec sound). Snake, press the TRIANGLE BUTTON to climb down the LADDER. PHEWP (ok the codec closing sounds nothing like that but you get it)"?

or

"Its on the back of the CD case!"?

Grechie
04-09-06, 09:34 AM
i loved all mgs's i was a bit dissapointed i didnt get ot play as nsake through the whole game, i just loved his model, n raiden was a stick lol, anyway i love them all,

Nuvian
04-09-06, 09:45 AM
i agree on HL2,doom3 and even oblivion being over hyped,but after playing MMORPGs since UO i belive WoW has alot more to offer compared to other MMORPGs,im not the kind of guy that plays the same MMORPG over 1 year tho,ALL games after a period become more of a bad habbit or a chore,but WoW kept me going for a year,and no other mmorpg have kept me intrested that long.