PDA

View Full Version : S-Video out black and white?

sirplayalot
04-09-06, 12:16 AM
I connected a TV to my PC today using S-Video out and the output is in black and white only. Anyone know why this might be happening?

jAkUp
04-09-06, 12:26 AM
This usually does it:

For some reason, a certain setting changes when you install the most recent update of Nvidia drivers. Mine happend to be version "66.93_win2kxp_english.exe". First, open your Display Properties and click on the [Settings] tab. Click the [Advanced] button. Click on the [GeForce (etc.)] tab. Select from the side menu [nView Display Settings]. Right click the display that should be your TV (normaly either "2" or "1b" ). Highlight [Select TV Format]. Click [Advanced...] at the bottom of the menu. Change "Video output format:" from [Auto-select] to the apropriate connector. Click [Device Adjustments]. Move the "Saturation" slider or just click [Restore Defaults]. Hopfully this should solve the problem.

sirplayalot
04-09-06, 12:41 AM
Nope, still black and white. :(

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6994/hl2blackwhite5sk.jpg

jAkUp
04-09-06, 01:11 AM
You tried moving the saturation slider as well?

harshw
04-09-06, 05:29 AM
Are you using the correct output format ? eg PAL output to PAL TV etc. Are you in europe ( and hence using SCART ? )

jimmor
04-09-06, 06:51 AM
I connected a TV to my PC today using S-Video out and the output is in black and white only. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Maybe checking out the linked post will help ?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=175563

Ady
04-09-06, 06:52 AM
Mixing up NTSC + PAL will normally cause this problem.

Mickey Padge
04-09-06, 07:32 AM
If you are using an s-video cable into a scart adaptor and the scart socket on the TV is not s-video compatible it will be black and white. Using s-video to s-video direct to the TV should work fine when set to pal.

You could use an s-video to RCA converter and then run it into the scart adaptor and that will give you a colour picture :)

Cheers

Toss3
04-09-06, 09:06 AM
If you are using an s-video cable into a scart adaptor and the scart socket on the TV is not s-video compatible it will be black and white. Using s-video to s-video direct to the TV should work fine when set to pal.

You could use an s-video to RCA converter and then run it into the scart adaptor and that will give you a colour picture :)

Cheers
Yep this is true, but you could also just make sure you aren't running component for your TV through the nvidia setup panel. If you aren't you could try switching to component.

sirplayalot
04-09-06, 01:41 PM
None of those solutions worked for me. :(

I am using an s-video to composit converter for my TV.

Toss3
04-09-06, 03:32 PM

And you're sure you've got it set to "composit" in the nvidia setup panel??

sirplayalot
04-09-06, 06:30 PM
And you're sure you've got it set to "composit" in the nvidia setup panel??

If I set it to composit I get no video. Auto and S-Video are the only ones that work but both display in black and white.

jimmor
04-09-06, 07:02 PM
If I set it to composit I get no video. Auto and S-Video are the only ones that work but both display in black and white.

Since I believe your type of vga card usually provides a Composite Video Output rather than true S-Video, resolving your problem would most likely be achieved by simply setting the nvidia driver tv-out to "composite" and then use a "composite video" cable to connect to your TV (scart or whatever) ??

sirplayalot
04-09-06, 08:20 PM
But the video card doesnt have composit out. It only has S-Video and Component out.

hordaktheman
04-09-06, 08:51 PM

Sounds like a) your video card only outputs an s-video signal, and not composite, or b) you're using a 4 pin cable on a 6 pin connector.

There are two kinds of s-video connectors: one that transfers both regular s-video and composite signals, and one that only transfers s-video. If I remember correctly, the one that only transfers s-video has 4 pins on the connector (one pin for luminance, one for chroma, and one for grounding each), whereas the other has 6 (the additional two pins being for composite and grounding). What I think is happening is that your composite cable is getting the 'luminance' portion of an s-video signal instead of a 'composite' one, hence a black and white image.

Check to see whether a) you're using a 4 pin cable, and b) whether the connector on your graphics card has a 4 or 6 pin connector.