PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion "kind of stutter" problem (Videos inside)

punk22
04-09-06, 12:46 PM
Hey.

I have this kind of "stutter" in oblivion. Actualy its noticable in many games.

Its like the picture is vibrating, like a ghost image ontop of the real one just alittle out of sync.
To use an example. The intro sequence in Quake 4, when the first body floats past the camera, its like small skips/micropauses. When the animation is suppose to go like this:

It goes like this
-------------------------------------

I use a CRT monitor, but its just as noticable on a TFT monitor.
It doesn't matter if my fps is 30 or 140. It's still noticable.
Its like the frames are not smoothly laced together.

If you circlestrafe, like strafe left and turn with the mouse to the right to keep a single object or character in the center of the screen at all times, that character seem to flick back and forth, even though the crosshair of the mouse is dead on. Also, if I look at the lower right or left of the screen, it gets even more obvious, as it looks like i counterturn every other frame or so. Just like a small but highly repetitive ms-lag in an online FPS. To be more precise, I turn slightly left, but then the engine reverts and the next frame seem to turn the OTHER way, and this repetitively back and forth for a jerky and somewhat nausiating experience.

This does not depend on FPS. This behaviour is consistent regardless of FPS and vsync. It's not a result of tearing of the image.

Could some of you guys please please please try this out yourself, in an indoor area for instance with very low visual quality to get very high FPS, then circle strafe around an object. Look first at the object if it seems to flick back and forth and not remain in the center, and also look at the corners of your screen to see if you have this alternate and repetive counter-turning syndrome.

I hope this is clear enough. Also, the FPS IS smooth according to the engine and console, since it a very small and confined area I check out. The ranges in my FPS was between like 100 and 124. There is just no way it couldn't reproduce a smooth visuals.

Here's a couple of videos. Hope you guys know a solution to the problem. I'm all out of ideas.

Video1 (http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38S0YLYUWC4610NXT2KWX7JPFW)

Video2 (http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=643458E43FE22338)

- punk

Edge
04-09-06, 02:18 PM
What are your system specs? It could be the result of an AGP Aperture set too low, outdated drivers, or even a virus/spyware. I've actually seen a similar thing happen when a program comes up with a scrolling box in the corner of the screen (such as when Firefox completes all downloads), where the image seems to jitter back and forth as the box's position is updated. You might want to also try disabling any antivirus/antispyware programs and seeing if they're interfering at all, my friend did have issues with games when Norton Internet Security was running. Otherwise, update drivers and disable any startup programs (along with raising your AGP Aperture if you're using an AGP card) and see if any of that helps.

Rytr
04-09-06, 02:33 PM
Those programs Edge mentioned use a lot of system ram and your available ram may be running low. Check your HDD LED and see if the drive is running during the times you are experiencing these problems.

punk22
04-09-06, 03:03 PM
Hey.

Windows XP with SP2 (english)
Latest nvidia chipset drivers (non-beta) V6.70
Latest bios for my mainboard V1.16. Tried several with no sucess
Tweaksrus's 84.22 driver. Tried several drivers with no sucess.
I have installed the amd patch and dual core hotfix and done the registry tweak. 1 or 0 makes no difference.
I have followed the Tweaking Companion guide 3.0 to the letter. My windows is nice and clean with only 11 services and 71mb memory/pagingfile usage on startup. 6 services started in "services.msc"

Here are my system specs:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2625mhz. Tried stock speed with no sucess
OCZ PC3200 2-3-2-5-T1 memory at stock speed
XFX Geforce 7900GTX @ 720/1800. Tried stock speed with no sucess
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. Tried to disable it with no sucess
2 x Raptors 74gb in raid0

Thats about it i think.

Check your HDD LED and see if the drive is running during the times you are experiencing these problems.

As i said in my first post, its not related to fps drops or hdd load.

- punk

punk22
04-09-06, 03:12 PM
Here is another video showing off the stutter alot better. Pay attention to how much it stutter real close to me and when i look further away the stutter almost goes away.

Video (http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0F3HFBHBUOCDA1Y7Y7GKBUIG7U)

- punk

Pepsiboy
04-09-06, 04:03 PM
I dont know...maybe its a refresh rate problem? The FPS could be going higher than the refresh rate...but i dont know...

punk22
04-11-06, 04:58 PM
I dont know...maybe its a refresh rate problem? The FPS could be going higher than the refresh rate...but i dont know...

Nope. Does no one else have this problem? Hardly believe i'm the only one.

- punk

Rytr
04-11-06, 05:06 PM
I did but it was associated with the memory. According to memtest I had a couple errors after four hours of running. I changed out the 512's with new Mushkin 1GB's and the problems disappeared. I did have more problems than just stuttering but whatever it's gone now.

punk22
04-11-06, 05:30 PM
I did but it was associated with the memory. According to memtest I had a couple errors after four hours of running. I changed out the 512's with new Mushkin 1GB's and the problems disappeared. I did have more problems than just stuttering but whatever it's gone now.

Are you sure you had the same type of stutter as me?
I still get the stutter with lowest resolution with all settings turned to minimum inside a dungeon.

I have another set of memory.... somewhere, but it's only 2x512mb. Same brand with even lower timings.
Maybe it's OCZ that have crapy memory?

I could try them just to be sure.

- punk

Rytr
04-11-06, 05:47 PM
The up close where your FPS dropped dramatically all at once (something like 79 to 39 FPS) looks very close to what I was seeing. The difference is mine would actually lockup after about an hour playing Oblivion.

I went with 2GB replacing the 1GB (2 512's) and the problems went away. I did not think just installing more ram was the cure. I put the ram in another PC and ran memtest and after about 4 hours errors started showing up.

If it's not the ram you should RMA the card.

punk22
04-11-06, 06:40 PM
The up close where your FPS dropped dramatically all at once (something like 79 to 39 FPS) looks very close to what I was seeing. The difference is mine would actually lockup after about an hour playing Oblivion.

I went with 2GB replacing the 1GB (2 512's) and the problems went away. I did not think just installing more ram was the cure. I put the ram in another PC and ran memtest and after about 4 hours errors started showing up.

If it's not the ram you should RMA the card.

That major framedrop is caused by Fraps. I actualy have around 70fps in that scene.
FPS is not the issue here. My FPS is great in Oblivion.

- punk

punk22
04-12-06, 08:09 AM
Partial Solution:

You're not gonna like it. It involves setting iFPSClamp and iFPS setting inside the ini file to the same as your monitor refreshrate (hz).

The ingame fps counter will show a constant fps of what you choose, but Fraps shows another count as i believe to be the correct one. If the Fraps fps counter is the same as your refreshrate (hz) then its "silky smooth", but if you only drop 1 fps its slideshow again.

It's just one thing. If your FPS exceeds the iFPSClamp, eg. if Vsync is off, the game will go much faster.
Lets say you put your iFPSClamp and iFPS setting to 10 and your fps is 75, it would be like Oblivion Rally.

Try it out and see if it works for you.

Edit: Oh btw, if iFPSClamp is at standard setting wich is 0, it stutters/frame skipping regardless if your fps is constant or not.

- punk

FredGSanford
07-30-06, 01:44 PM
Does anyone still have these video clips? I'm having this problem in a few other games and it's starting to drive me nuts and its near impossible to explain to people what it looks like.

Temesta
05-23-07, 07:55 AM
I have exactly the same problem as Punk. I tried replacing videocard, harddisk and motherboard. The only thing left to replace is my RAM. Is there anyone out there who knows the exact cause of this strange problem. I bought a 8800GTS so this is really frustrating.