PDA

View Full Version : 1FPS near obvlion gates and ghosts

ministryofmind
04-09-06, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I'm having some xtremely FPS issues near oblivion gates and ghosts, especially when they throw those little orb thingies at me. It gets to the point where I can hear the graphics card stuttering.

I'm running Windows XP home edition, P4 2.8Ghz, 1.2gigs of Ram, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with the latest 6.3 Catalyst drivers. I also have Rage3dTweak and have also implemented some oblivion.ini tweaks like turning the grass down.

Can someone tell me what function/functions I need to turn down in order to help with this issue? None of the in-game video sliders have helped. It doesn't matter what resolution I'm running the game in either. It runs absolutely beautiful on small textures and the largest resolution with bloom lighting on and all the fades at a reasonable rate. I have NO FPS issues whatsoever anywhere else except when I see an oblivion gate or when ghosts appear. Perhaps some sort of particle or transparency issue?

Help a girl out please, I'm desperate.

Pepsiboy
04-09-06, 04:59 PM
Try going invisible and see what happens...if you cant get an invisibility spell then make a new char and after you make him type into the console "psb"

that will give you all spells...see if that works fine if it does then i think it might be a particle effects thing

ministryofmind
04-09-06, 05:08 PM
That was a wonderful idea. I whipped up a potion real quick and went invisible and voila ... 1FPS.

It has something to do with invisibility. Any ideas?

Edit:

I just found the
bUseRefractionShader=1
setting in my oblivion.ini.

I suspect this might be the culprit. I will be playing with it set to "0" and see if that helps.

Edit, take 2:

All fixed! Sorry about that. I've been racking my brains trying to figure this out and finally found that bit in the oblivion.ini tweaks section. Thank you for the invisibility tip though, that helped me narrow the problem down quite a bit.

Hope this post helps with future problems that other people have with this.

Pepsiboy
04-09-06, 05:13 PM
Hope it works ;)

ministryofmind
04-09-06, 05:26 PM
Of course, now all my invisible blobby things are black orbs and when they explode on impact they become black stickers.

:/

Pepsiboy
04-09-06, 09:43 PM
Well i looked over the .ini and i dont see anything that sounds like it could fix your problem...

Ive been hearing that the 9800 has been having different problems with oblivion...you might have to either buy a new gpu or bite the bullet and deal with the black blobbies.

Sorry :(

NTBlowz
04-09-06, 11:52 PM
Disable AA

davejm
04-10-06, 05:39 AM
I'm having the same problem (I posted a thread a while back) and I've resorted to using the .ini tweak method (with subsequent black blobs on screen) as it looks rubbish without AA turned on.

That said, I haven't seen the Oblivion gates yet, so I dunno how much of a problem the blobs are gonna be, so I may have to turn off AA when I encounter them.

I hope this is fixed with the next Catalyst drivers or Oblivion patch, cause other than that it runs OK on my 9800 Pro.... even though I am thinking about upgrading.

wysiwyg
04-10-06, 11:22 AM
just wondering how u have missed the gates they seemed pretty much everywhere i went untill i closed them all

davejm
04-10-06, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm about 5 hours in and have only visited 2 of the cities. Pretty sure I haven't seen any yet.

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 11:48 AM
Well, I'm about 5 hours in and have only visited 2 of the cities. Pretty sure I haven't seen any yet.
I dont think you'll see them until after you've done the main quest up to where you visit Cloud Ruler Temple.

Pepsiboy
04-10-06, 11:54 PM
Yes....then you will see them...and you will hate them.