PDA

View Full Version : 10+ and counting, Doom STILL rocks! Ne1 else?

Pages : [1] 2

grey_1
04-09-06, 10:43 PM
I'm putting together a powerpoint project and need some in-game clips from old and new games. What better comparison than doom and Doom3? I fired up fraps and Evilution, DANG, I forgot what a blast this is, especially on Ultra-violence! :super: ANy one else still have fun with the older titles these days?

CaptNKILL
04-09-06, 11:18 PM
Yeah, its surprising how much pure FUN Doom is. Any time I find it stashed away in some folder one of my computers (with Legacy Doom for OpenGL\D3D) I end up getting hooked and playing for hours.

That game has really held its appeal well over the years. IMO Doom is more fun than Doom 3 by a long shot, and it has a lot of replayability... Im not sure why it has replayability, but it does... some of the levels just never get old :p

jAkUp
04-09-06, 11:20 PM
I think Carmageddon 2 is another game that has held the test of time for me :D That and MK1 and MK2... heh :D

CaptNKILL
04-09-06, 11:24 PM
I think Carmageddon 2 is another game that has held the test of time for me :D That and MK1 and MK2... heh :D
Ah! Carmageddon 2 :D
That game still rocks. Using a good Glide emulator running at 1600x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF with fog off (.ini tweak ;)) that game looked and ran beautifully on my 6800GT.

I wonder if the next one is still in developement... I want that damned game :(

jAkUp
04-09-06, 11:44 PM
They announced a Carmageddon 4, then about a year later said that development was stopped on it :( Nobody knew why. I have no clue what happened after that... that happened about a year ago.

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 12:31 AM
They announced a Carmageddon 4, then about a year later said that development was stopped on it :( Nobody knew why. I have no clue what happened after that... that happened about a year ago.
This actually sounds kind of promising:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/586/586838p1.html

This too:
http://www.ferrago.com/story/6642

We shall see. We thought Carmageddon's return had faltered, but that too is apparently en route still, bound for the PC, PS2 and Xbox. "We do not plan to launch next generation versions of the majority of our titles until at least one year after the release of the new hardware," the report commented on next-generation plans, though Tomb Raider Legends and Championship Manager 6 will be out somewhat sooner, apparently.

jAkUp
04-10-06, 01:01 AM
Excellent! I missed that news!!! Fantastic news :D :D :D

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 06:30 AM
Ah! Carmageddon 2 :D
That game still rocks. Using a good Glide emulator running at 1600x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF with fog off (.ini tweak ;)) that game looked and ran beautifully on my 6800GT.

Can you share this tweak, please? I still fire C2 up every now and again and would love to be able to disable fog to get maximum view distance.

grey_1
04-10-06, 06:45 AM
I never played Carmgeddon, I'll have to check with a local E.B. The manager there loves older pc games and keeps a pretty good stock of em. Sounds like more mindless fun to get in the way of work and studies:D :D :D

jAkUp
04-10-06, 10:44 AM
Never played Carmageddon 2? Download a Demo here:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/carmageddon2/downloads/

:D

Pretty gory even for today, but very addicting.. hehe :)

Sazar
04-10-06, 11:06 AM
Man, I wish I still had a copy of Mortal Kombat 1 :(

I need to brush up on my skillz and see if I can still get to Saibot :D

grey_1
04-10-06, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jakup! Dl'g now:)

Feeling all morally bankrupt n s**t now...:firedevil

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 11:55 AM
Can you share this tweak, please? I still fire C2 up every now and again and would love to be able to disable fog to get maximum view distance.
I cant remember the exact setting, I dont have the game installed right now. There should be a file like options.cfg or options.ini or settings.ini.... you know, the usual :p

If the game has a "data" folder, I think it might be in there.

Anyways, look for anything about fog or DOF (depth of field). Its been so long...

Heh, sorry this isnt much help... I might have to install the game later :o

EDIT: BTW, disabling fog doesnt make the view distance much further, but it stops things from being really bright white or tan as they fade in at a distance. This looks horrible, so getting rid of the fog makes the game look much better. With it off I think they just sort of materialize... they dont fade. I guess you can see a little bit further though.

Ninjaman09
04-10-06, 12:06 PM
I still play Doom and Doom 2 all the time, and I spend a good deal of time with my NES and SNES library as well.

jAkUp
04-10-06, 12:13 PM
Man, I wish I still had a copy of Mortal Kombat 1 :(

I need to brush up on my skillz and see if I can still get to Saibot :D

Get Midway Arcade Treasures for PC, it has MK1, MK2 and MK3 :)

Sazar
04-10-06, 12:24 PM
Hmm, I might just have to do that :D

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 12:25 PM
I never played Carmgeddon, I'll have to check with a local E.B. The manager there loves older pc games and keeps a pretty good stock of em. Sounds like more mindless fun to get in the way of work and studies

It definitely is. Make sure you download a Glide wrapper if you want to be able to use a gamepad under Windows 2000/XP. What was really cool about C2 was that it had a pretty innovative physics system for the time. Power-ups like lunar gravity and pinball mode really showcase it.

Man, now I really have a hankering to play it. But I have to play SiN first (just bought the pre-load for Episodes).

toxikneedle
04-10-06, 12:53 PM
jakup hijacked this thread.

grey_1
04-10-06, 12:59 PM
It definitely is. Make sure you download a Glide wrapper if you want to be able to use a gamepad under Windows 2000/XP. What was really cool about C2 was that it had a pretty innovative physics system for the time. Power-ups like lunar gravity and pinball mode really showcase it.

Man, now I really have a hankering to play it. But I have to play SiN first (just bought the pre-load for Episodes).

Thx for the tip, kb was rough:) . btw I SWEAR one of those dogs started praying before I mashed it:D

jakup hijacked this thread.

S'o.k., The man's got a lot to keep track of these days;)

HarryDude
04-10-06, 07:26 PM
Doom is still mint! has anyone tried the doomsday engine for it? it is exceptional with hi-res textures and models. www.doomsdayhq.com

grey_1
04-10-06, 09:19 PM
Doom is still mint! has anyone tried the doomsday engine for it? it is exceptional with hi-res textures and models. www.doomsdayhq.com
That's what I use, it is good:)

Darkfalz
04-10-06, 09:36 PM
Get Midway Arcade Treasures for PC, it has MK1, MK2 and MK3 :)

Erm, or get MAME...

NaitoSan
04-11-06, 04:44 AM
Few nights ago, I played MK1, 2, 3, Ulimate on MAME with XBOX360 controller. :D Good times.

Have any recommandations on which best Glide emulator? I'm already tempted to install Carmageddon 2 after reading this thread. :P

saturnotaku
04-11-06, 06:24 AM
Here 'ya go

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

Hasn't been updated in a while, but Carmageddon 2 is pretty much pixel perfect.

grey_1
04-11-06, 01:05 PM
Here 'ya go

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

Hasn't been updated in a while, but Carmageddon 2 is pretty much pixel perfect.

Thank ye, 10 minutes on a game pad, I'll have to get the wifey to untie my fingers, it'll be fun tho:D