PDA

View Full Version : How is SpeedTree leaf movement to you?

raystone57
04-09-06, 11:40 PM
It looks great overall to me in Oblivion, the leaf and branch movement in the wind I mean, but it's not perfect. Almost nothing is. The trees are done with the help of SpeedTree foliage software. But in 3D games it's so hard to do. So you may notice that the trees have a not quite natural leaf/branch movement sometimes due to groups of leaves moving like a series of fans which swing back and forth. The leaves within each "fan" don't have any simulation of individual leaf movement and it's a little noticeable. But I don't concentrate or focus on the "fans" or individual leaves - I try to view the trees as a whole. And from that way of viewing the trees they look very cool.

Edit - A video of this is present: in the game by looking at most trees in the wind. But if someone takes issue with what I've brought up I can take a video of it if necessary with Fraps.

CaptNKILL
04-09-06, 11:44 PM
Yeah Im overall very impressed with the Speedtree implementation in this game. It wouldnt be the same without it, thats for damn sure.

If you had 30 trees on screen in morrowind (and im talking static, simple, Morrowind trees) itd run far worse on any system than this game does with a forest of thousands of trees going out for a mile. Speedtree is the perfect example of efficiency, and it works great in this game.

I wish more games used it. Forests are awesome, now that we can make them run well, we need more of them :D

superklye
04-10-06, 12:32 AM
I love the trees so much. They're gorgeous and I love the random/dynamic motion...it really adds a lot of depth and character to the game.

Hell...I just flat out love this game. :)

SH64
04-10-06, 01:34 AM
Looks great in motion ... i was walking out the other day & when i looked at the trees the first thing came to my mind was Oblivion :D

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 01:40 AM
Looks great in motion ... i was walking out the other day & when i looked at the trees the first thing came to my mind was Oblivion :D
Ah... so Im not alone :o

sillyeagle
04-10-06, 06:30 PM
I noticed last night if you watch you can see the wind pick up and all the trees respond accordingly in unison. You can watch the waves of wind come and go.

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 08:13 PM
I noticed last night if you watch you can see the wind pick up and all the trees respond accordingly in unison. You can watch the waves of wind come and go.
Yep, thats the beauty of speedtree :)

I noticed there are some options related to waves under the speedtree group in the oblivion.ini file. I wonder if you can make some tropical storms :D

You can probably do it with the editor :)

agentkay
04-10-06, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to increase the density of the trees per grid (where the player is) or is that a fixed value?

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 09:39 PM
Is there a way to increase the density of the trees per grid (where the player is) or is that a fixed value?
You mean how many trees there actually are up close?

I dont think so. Im pretty sure that the placement of trees is determined when you create the terrain in the editor. Its done automatically, but after its saved its permanent.

If you wanted to make a really really dense forest area though, you could do it with the editor.

sillyeagle
04-10-06, 09:52 PM

That started happening to me with FarCry. I would see something on TV or whatever and think wow looks like farcry. Now its happening to me with Oblivion. lol You know games are looking good when you compare reality to a game, rather than the other way around.

Tygerwoody
04-10-06, 09:56 PM
I wish more games used it.
I believe i read somewhere than Vanguard is using Speed Tree. Pretty nice for an MMORPG