PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean an LCD?

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 05:38 AM
My Dell 2005FPW got a little smudged after being in its box while I moved. Obviously I want to clean it but have no idea about the best way to deal with this. I've never had smudges LCDs, and the lint-free cloths I've used to clean dust away don't work. What do you all use to keep your screens clean?

Riptide
04-10-06, 08:20 AM
First thing I would try is some distilled water and a 100% cotton cloth.

evilghost
04-10-06, 09:49 AM
I've always use isopropyl alcohol, the closer to 100% the less residue. Avoid cleaners with ammonia like Windex and cat urine.

Sazar
04-10-06, 10:10 AM
I've always use isopropyl alcohol, the closer to 100% the less residue. Avoid cleaners with ammonia like Windex and cat urine.

You use cat urine :eek:

Sat, I use distilled water and some microfiber cloth I have for my car which doesn't leave a residue. Cleans nicely for me.

I never touch my screens with my fingers but my friends for some reason have to point things out on a screen by mashing their grubby fingers all over the display :(

Some people, I just don't understand.

Superfly
04-10-06, 10:14 AM
Cat pee is the No.1 household cleaner - surely you know that??

shaker718
04-10-06, 10:25 AM
I use "Monster ScreenClean" to clean up my 2005fpw.
I bought it at circuit city ( I bet best buy and compusa carry it) for 20 or 30 bucks, comes with a large fine mist spray bottle of the solution and a microfiber cloth. Does a great job at cleaning the screen leaves no residue and no streaks.

Sazar
04-10-06, 10:49 AM
Cat pee is the No.1 household cleaner - surely you know that??

I have 2 cats, believe me, I know all about cat pee :(

Riptide
04-10-06, 11:00 AM
This is common and a demonstration of ignorance IMO. People just don't know that these screens are relatively fragile so they assume that they can just smash the crap out of them with their fingers. Never mind that flat panels cost hundreds at the least. This is one of my pet peeves (sp?).

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 11:17 AM
Sat, I use distilled water and some microfiber cloth I have for my car which doesn't leave a residue. Cleans nicely for me.

I may actually combine your idea with evilghost's. I have 91% isopropyl alcohol and some microfiber cloths. Together they shall be unstoppable. :D Thanks for the suggestions. I never, ever touch my LCD screen. Not only do the fingerprints really come out, there's such a risk of damaging the panel. Unfortunately, some things can't be avoided, like having to transport it during a move.

Sazar
04-10-06, 11:21 AM
I am thinking of investing in a taser to zap my friends when they attempt to touch the screen.

It could be an amusing webcm show in the near-future.

Roadhog
04-10-06, 11:36 AM
I just use water, and a rag/cloth. Works good.

Dr@Home
04-10-06, 03:52 PM
I've used windex on my LCD once.. Though it was dead and got my hopes up that I was going to get a 17" or 19" for a replacement.:o

The screen really messed up, until it dried out an hour later:p

Son Goku
04-10-06, 04:13 PM
I am thinking of investing in a taser to zap my friends when they attempt to touch the screen.

It could be an amusing webcm show in the near-future.

Nah, better would be if one could find a way to electrify the screen. Not sure how one would do that though. 1 touch, and a mild jolt. Enough of that and they'll get the hint (skin contact is bad) :D

As to cleaning, it depends on the material it's made out of. If it's glass like CRTs, then you can get away with a glass cleaner like Windex or the like. If it's a plastic, I wouldn't try that however... Plastics (especially if coated), can have a tendency of reacting not so well to glass cleaner, as glass does...

einstein_314
04-10-06, 06:48 PM
You use cat urine :eek:

I never touch my screens with my fingers but my friends for some reason have to point things out on a screen by mashing their grubby fingers all over the display :(

Lol, I know what you mean. My friends also insist on poking the screen when pointing at things. I can't stand it. And they don't understand why I don't like them touching it. Some people.

Regarding cleaning my screen...I use some lint free wipes I have (made for monitor cleaning) and regular water. I've never tried iso-propyl alcohol though. I always thought it would do bad things...maybe I'll give that a try. It would definately fix the smudges that remain when using regular water. (When the water evaporates it tends to leave residue behind).

evilghost
04-10-06, 06:54 PM
Lol, I know what you mean. My friends also insist on poking the screen when pointing at things. I can't stand it. And they don't understand why I don't like them touching it. Some people.

Regarding cleaning my screen...I use some lint free wipes I have (made for monitor cleaning) and regular water. I've never tried iso-propyl alcohol though. I always thought it would do bad things...maybe I'll give that a try. It would definately fix the smudges that remain when using regular water. (When the water evaporates it tends to leave residue behind).

Isopropyl will do that too, I've noticed 50% or 60% will leave some smudges but you can get rid of those using a regular soft cloth. The more pure the isopropyl (or rather, the less water diluted) the better the results. ~90% or 100% isopropyl is fun too just keep it away from open flame ;P

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 06:58 PM
~90% or 100% isopropyl is fun too just keep it away from open flame ;P

Is that a challenge, sir? :p

evilghost
04-10-06, 07:00 PM
My wife doesn't like it when I make "rocket engines" out of it or the flaming Q-Tips...I usually hear stop it, that stuff stinks.

It's very fun, I actually have used it to fill a kerosene latern when the power was out for a while.