PDA

View Full Version : DVI vs. D-SUB

MindBlank
04-10-06, 01:30 PM
Can someone please tell me what the difference between these 2 is on a TFT monitor?
I mean, i know one is analog and the other one is digital and that everybody is recommending DVI, but i want to know exactly what DVI has over D-SUB. Not theoretically but practically. Will i see a difference between D-SUB and DVI? Cause right now i'm looking at one and it looks the same as my D-SUB TFT...

Ninjaman09
04-10-06, 01:42 PM
Much better picture clarity, particularly on higher-resolution screens. You may not notice a big difference on a 1280x1024 TN panel.

The Bigman
04-10-06, 02:36 PM
Color Separation, more vibrant and fonts are more vivid.

I use DVI and i used D-sub and can tell a big difference in games at higher detail.

DVI cabling costs more but is worth it.

MindBlank
04-10-06, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking of buying a Samsung 19'' TFT but had to choose between 2 models : a D-SUB one and a DVI one. The DVI is obviously more expensive, and was wondering if spending the extra cash is worth it.

Anyone else want to give their opinion?

Monolyth
04-10-06, 06:04 PM
DVI comes straight from the video frame buffer and will not suffer any kind of image-quality effects inherent to lower-quality RAMDAC components. In fact it doesn't use the RAMDAC at all, DVI completely bypasses the RAMDAC and sends a pure digital signal to the monitor. No conversion from Dig->An->Dig is required.

I can remember the old days of the Ti series and some other cards just totally sucking in terms of D-Sub quality especially at higher resolutions. As others have said the color reproduction is finer, but again all this is due lack of RAMDAC requirements.

einstein_314
04-10-06, 07:44 PM
Yeah, definately go for the DVI. Everything is way sharper and the colours are accurate. With D-SUB you will get blurry text and poor colours. I can't stand using D-SUB with my LCD. DVI FTW!! (nana2)