PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (X360/PC) Sells BIG

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
04-10-06, 06:29 PM
Bethesda announced that its hit title, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has achieved record sales, reflecting huge market demand for the title. Over 1.7 million units of Oblivion for the PC and Xbox 360 have been shipped since the launch of the game.

Oblivion is currently the #1 ranked Xbox 360 game and the #1 ranked PC game on both MetaCritic.com and GameRankings.com. MetaCritic and GameRankings are sites that calculate a ranking of games based on review scores published by recognized print, broadcast, and online media outlets around the world.
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=33287&mode=thread&order=0

Good work Bethesda :thumbsup: & SF .. eat your heart out :p

CaptNKILL
04-10-06, 06:31 PM
Holy **** thats a lot of copies sold :eek:

Epyx
04-10-06, 06:58 PM
It would be nice to see the sales figures for the respective platforms. I am curious what a best selling PC title sells versus the Xbox 360.

I know when I got my PC pre-order copy I asked the sales guy at EB what the breakdown for pre-orders was at and he said 26 Oblivion Xbox 360 versus about 15 PC.

I would be curious to see how this has played out in terms of global sales.

evilchris
04-10-06, 07:34 PM
Not a whole lot of 360's out there tho to sell to so PC should be ahead.

superklye
04-10-06, 07:37 PM
This is fantastic news! ES V ftw!

Mr. Hunt
04-10-06, 07:59 PM
Wow... that is awesome... and I love it even more since it uses NO protection, and it STILL sold this well... shows that you don't HAVE to have intrusive bull**** for people to have to buy your games.

nV`andrew
04-10-06, 09:04 PM
woot! platinum game now :D

saturnotaku
04-10-06, 10:57 PM
Wow... that is awesome... and I love it even more since it uses NO protection, and it STILL sold this well... shows that you don't HAVE to have intrusive bull**** for people to have to buy your games.

Um, it uses copy protection, it's just far more transparent than many of the alternatives.

Mr. Hunt
04-10-06, 11:22 PM
Um, it uses copy protection, it's just far more transparent than many of the alternatives.

It does use some? Well ok...

At least it doesn't use starforce... guess that is better. Now I guess Starforce will put a link on where to download the game now to show "ZOMG SEE WUT HAPENS WIN U DON'T USE TEH STARFERCE!@??"

de><ta
04-10-06, 11:27 PM
I paid $65 for the CE version of the game. And unlike most other games I have no regrets what-so-ever having spent so much on the game. Best dern game I have played in a while.

Pepsiboy
04-10-06, 11:28 PM
Ya...id pay to see a title this big with no copy protection anymore

It makes me wanna cry. The good ol' days are over folks :(

Badboy_12345
04-11-06, 02:08 AM

no it actually doesnt have any

Copy Protection: None, Only disc check during start up.

CaptNKILL
04-11-06, 02:26 AM
Yeah there really isnt any significant protection on the game.

A simple, old fashioned nocd cracked .exe gets rid of the DVD check.

Oh, and this is a very very rough estimate but assuming the average price people paid for this game was $55, 1.7 million copies would have brought in almost 94 Million dollars... I wonder how much of that made it to the developers? They have to be reaaallly well off with a second major major hit in a row. This isnt even counting the money Morrowind still brings in.

Hell, if a single one of the developers got 0.1% of a sale he'd get $94k :o

msxyz
04-11-06, 06:04 AM
This is hardly a suprise.

They turned Oblibion into a dumb action game and it has payed :p

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1302205595960058666&q=oblivion&pl=true

Superfly
04-11-06, 06:17 AM
This is hardly a suprise.

They turned Oblibion into a dumb action game and it has payed :p

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1302205595960058666&q=oblivion&pl=true

lol - you are SOOOOOOOOOO bitter about this arnt you :p

enjoy the game for what it is, stop being so analytical.

:D

killahsin
04-11-06, 09:18 AM
i dunno about you but all non turned based rpgs are action games with stats. I like the fact i can actually dodge hits, if you don't mind.

CaptNKILL
04-11-06, 09:48 AM
i dunno about you but all non turned based rpgs are action games with stats. I like the fact i can actually dodge hits, if you don't mind.
:werd:

glObalist
04-11-06, 09:54 AM

I (and msxyz prolly too) would have preferred to dodge hits based on an in-game dodge stat rather than on our ability to twitch the mouse and direction keys fast enough... Feels more like action than an RPG if you ask me.

msxyz
04-11-06, 10:09 AM
We're seeing a convergence of the game genres, which is NOT a good thing, IMHO.

Something similar is happening in the field of "simulations" which are becoming less and less simulators and more arcadish (a good example of this comes from Il-2 and the recent Silent Hunter 3 ) in an attempt to please a larger crowd that might be annoyed by the more obscure managerial aspects of simulation, but which the hardcore base loves and find a "must".

Oblivion is less an RPG and more an action title. Dialogues, exploration and skills were all reduced in favour of action.

Dialogues choices are almost non existant (true, not one of the strong point in Morrowind, too) and navigating through a dialogues is a mere clicking exercise. There's no need to explore or ask for directions because goals are immediately available on maps. And the minigames allow people to resolve problems using the player's ability instead of the character's skill to the point that security and speechcraft skills becomes absolutely useless because even a non trained character can break any lock or persuade anyone.

This is where the industry is heading. Instead of accepting the fact that certain games are not for everyone, they are sacrificing the elements that make a game genre unique solely to boost the sales.

(Posted this on the official forums in one of the many rant topics on Oblivion)

CaptNKILL
04-11-06, 11:04 AM
So rather than mix genres to appeal to more than one type of player, they should just not make the game at all, or they should make it totaly stat based to the point where its completely uninteresting to people who like interactivity?

And youre wrong that lockpicking and speechcraft skills are useless. At low levels youre going to have a hell of a time picking a very hard lock because the tumblers move extremely fast. It can be done, yes, but if it was a random roll of the dice thing it could also happen... this merely puts it in the players hands, rather than a dice roll. Someone who is just plain GOOD at the lockpicking minigame will do well the whole time, sure. Maybe this is why they chose a theif.
Letting the player decide what to do helps to suck him into the roll. I find it nearly impossible to be "immersed" in an RPG when 90% of it is stat screens and math problems.

With speechcraft, the player can try all they want, but they cannot push an NPCs disposition up any higher than their stats and skills (personality and speechcraft) will allow. The higher their skills, the more they can get from a single conversation as well (because they can "rotate" the wheel manually). Someone with a 30 in personality and a 5 in speechcraft isnt going to get very far trying to get information from NPCs without bribing them.

No doubt there are people who dont like having the game actually get interactive, but it doesnt mean its a bad thing. There are still plenty of totaly stat based RPGs being churned out daily. Bethesda has been making an "alternative" solution with the elder scrolls games for 12 years. Each game gets a little more interactive, and a little less restricting, and IMO they have improved each time. Remember swinging 40 times at a crab in Morrowind and watching your sword go through it? Stat based "hit" rolls did that, and it looked retarded. Im very very glad they did away with this.

I think more than anything they have just made the stat and dice roll system more transparent and given the player more control of the game. Its all still there and its still an RPG, it just takes the number crunching and "click and watch" fights out.

msxyz
04-11-06, 11:26 AM
Well, minigames are a huge unbalancing factors. The skills influence in them is marginal (ie in the persuasion game the stat drops slower if the skill is higher) but it's hardly noticeable.

With the Xbox controller the lockpick minigame gets so easy that I only break lockpicks when I'm bored or try too quickly regardless of the skill level.

So rather than mix genres to appeal to more than one type of player, they should just not make the game at all, or they should make it totaly stat based to the point where its completely uninteresting to people who like interactivity?They shouldn't have tried to please anyone or to widen their audience to the point of displeasing a good portion of the established userbase.

I'm not expecting a turn based Elderscrolls game, because TES games have always adopted the first person perspective thus real time combat has been part of the series, but with Oblivion they've gone too far in other aspects, like ruining exploration or introducing minigames that bypass almost completely the skills.

In the sametime they haven't fixed some of the flaws of Morrowind, namely economy (still plenty of overpriced items none can buy), badly limited dialogue trees and balance (the levelled progression is a bad cure for a real problem imho)

Superfly
04-11-06, 11:27 AM
We're seeing a convergence of the game genres, which is NOT a good thing, IMHO.

Something similar is happening in the field of "simulations" which are becoming less and less simulators and more arcadish (a good example of this comes from Il-2 and the recent Silent Hunter 3 ) in an attempt to please a larger crowd that might be annoyed by the more obscure managerial aspects of simulation, but which the hardcore base loves and find a "must".

Oblivion is less an RPG and more an action title. Dialogues, exploration and skills were all reduced in favour of action.

Dialogues choices are almost non existant (true, not one of the strong point in Morrowind, too) and navigating through a dialogues is a mere clicking exercise. There's no need to explore or ask for directions because goals are immediately available on maps. And the minigames allow people to resolve problems using the player's ability instead of the character's skill to the point that security and speechcraft skills becomes absolutely useless because even a non trained character can break any lock or persuade anyone.

This is where the industry is heading. Instead of accepting the fact that certain games are not for everyone, they are sacrificing the elements that make a game genre unique solely to boost the sales.

(Posted this on the official forums in one of the many rant topics on Oblivion)

I do agree with this - im a HUGE D&D fan and cant wait for NVN2 just because of how it works rather than what it is.

However, Oblivion is a fun game and if taken as such it can be a very enjoyable gaming experience.

Your right in saying its a hybrid game, cant agrue with that. :)

CaptNKILL
04-11-06, 12:27 PM
Well, minigames are a huge unbalancing factors. The skills influence in them is marginal (ie in the persuasion game the stat drops slower if the skill is higher) but it's hardly noticeable.

With the Xbox controller the lockpick minigame gets so easy that I only break lockpicks when I'm bored or try too quickly regardless of the skill level.

They shouldn't have tried to please anyone or to widen their audience to the point of displeasing a good portion of the established userbase.

I'm not expecting a turn based Elderscrolls game, because TES games have always adopted the first person perspective thus real time combat has been part of the series, but with Oblivion they've gone too far in other aspects, like ruining exploration or introducing minigames that bypass almost completely the skills.

In the sametime they haven't fixed some of the flaws of Morrowind, namely economy (still plenty of overpriced items none can buy), badly limited dialogue trees and balance (the levelled progression is a bad cure for a real problem imho)
Well, for what its worth, your speechcraft and personality determine many more things than that. They determine the starting disposition, how fast the disposition drops during the game, how much each of your choices effects the disposition, the maximum disposition you can achieve for that character and (as far as I can tell) the amount of gold vs. disposition gained from bribing someone.

Most of this is transparent to the user (unless you carefully examine the way the numbers change) so its not surprising that you wouldnt even know it was going on.
I understand your point of view, but there is a lot more relying on the skills in this game than you think there is (and give it credit for).

I do agree that it is far from the same KIND of RPG as say a D&D title, but it doesnt mean its the "wrong" direction. Its a different direction, and its obviously working very well.

I agree that the dialog trees are way too limited, but I think this is more a resource problem than a design problem. Theres already so much dialog that making a certain number of choices in each dialog would have been rediculously expensive to do voices for. I guess they could have settled for the budget voice actors that change accents half way through a sentence and dont understand inflection, but that would have probably hurt more than it helped :p

As far as exploration, I dont think Daggerfall or Arena even had any exploration other than looking for someones house (all you had to do was ask someone and they would put it on the map anyway). Morrowind's exploration was good though. In Oblivion I wish they would have had an option to turn off the messages that tell you when you have arrived somewhere, because that hurts exploration much much more than any of the arrows and quest markers. I dont mind having the marked map available to me when I want to find something in a hurry, but having the game say "you found the dungeon!" when im 100 yards away is a bit lame.

I wouldnt call this a huge game breaking design decision though. More of a minor oversight that will probably help more new players than it will kill the game for the veterans. As much as "leet" gamers like us like a challenge, its not all about us, so the majority rules here... I really would have liked to have seen more options with these things though.

The economy seems fine to me though. I have 17000 gold, a lot of extra equipment (worth thousands) a small but packed house and a decent horse with armor. And I havent even been out exploring all that much. There isnt anything in the stores I cant buy, but none of it really fits my character so I just use what I have.

The leveling isnt perfect, but the problems (IMO) are isolated to certain quests. Overall, it isnt a problem. But when it is, its bad. As irritating as it may be, a few quick adjustments to the difficulty when you hit one of these spots will get you through it fine.

I've already commented on the minigames too. They dont bypass the skill system at all really, but if the player is actually good at the lockpicking game, he'll do better than someone who sucks at it. You can call it your characters innate abilities or something, I call it more fun than clicking over and over waiting for the dice to roll in my favor.

BTW, Im glad we're actually able to discuss this stuff. A lot of people seem to have some deep rooted hatred for people that defend a game and end up screaming "FANBOI!" rather than actually discussing the issues. Thanks :D

killahsin
04-11-06, 01:22 PM
I (and msxyz prolly too) would have preferred to dodge hits based on an in-game dodge stat rather than on our ability to twitch the mouse and direction keys fast enough... Feels more like action than an RPG if you ask me.

there is actually a dodge skill you know right? =o

CaptNKILL
04-11-06, 01:24 PM
there is actually a dodge skill you know right? =o
You mean block? :)