PDA

View Full Version : What resolution/screen size has the highest dpi?

sillyeagle
04-10-06, 07:07 PM
Right now I have a 17" diamondtron CRT that does 1600x1200. I'm looking to upgrade, but a bigger monitor with a higher resolution does not mean anything to me unless it provides the same or better pixels per inch.

1600x1200 on a 17" seems to me to be about the sharpest image there is, but if there is anything sharper I might upgrade.

dwhjr77
04-10-06, 09:40 PM
You're gonna strain your eyes at the rez on a 17inch.

Roadhog
04-10-06, 09:52 PM
i have a 17" LCD that does 1280x1024, and its plenty easy to read.

sillyeagle
04-10-06, 10:04 PM
You're gonna strain your eyes at the rez on a 17inch.

That kind of resolution is for games, not text.

einstein_314
04-11-06, 07:42 PM
Umm, when looking at monitor spec sheets, look at the dot pitch. that's the distance between adjacent pixels. The smaller the number, the closer together they are and therefore the higher the dpi. If you can find the one for your old monitor, you can compare it with other monitors.

This is assuming you want to go with a physically bigger monitor as well.

ynnek
04-11-06, 08:46 PM
Umm, when looking at monitor spec sheets, look at the dot pitch. that's the distance between adjacent pixels. The smaller the number, the closer together they are and therefore the higher the dpi. If you can find the one for your old monitor, you can compare it with other monitors.

This is assuming you want to go with a physically bigger monitor as well.

However, there are different ways to measure dotpitch.. I believe Samsung does it differently to make their stats seem more impressive.

Just keep in mind, if you want to get a 21", with the same equiv pixel's per area as your 17" at 1600x1200, then you'll have to step up the resolution the 21" much much higher.

sillyeagle
04-11-06, 09:05 PM
However, there are different ways to measure dotpitch.. I believe Samsung does it differently to make their stats seem more impressive.

Just keep in mind, if you want to get a 21", with the same equiv pixel's per area as your 17" at 1600x1200, then you'll have to step up the resolution the 21" much much higher.

Yeah I have read you can't really compare one brand to another, or Shadow mask to aperature grille.

On your resolution point, thats why I still have a 17", if I go larger I need more graphics power to rid my self of the more noticeable aliasing. So I kind of like what I have. Its right at the front of my desk too so I'm close enough for it to fill my field of view.

john19055
04-12-06, 06:41 PM
If you have a 7800GT SLI then you have plenty of GPU power to go to a bigger CRT ,If you are not wanting to go to a LCD then just get you a good 21"Trinitron CRT and it will look so much better then a 17" CRT and you can get them dirt cheap,I got a 22" viewsonic P225F for $169 shipped free and a Dell P1130 fo $129 shipped free.They were refurbished but they looked brand new and I have had no trouble with them.