PDA

View Full Version : Purevideo

The Bigman
04-10-06, 10:45 PM
I see alot of people on here are having certain issues with Purevideo. What would be a good tool or tools to check to see if Purevideo isn't broken from a bad install and i don't mean the windows media codec tool either?

I myself have blank video screens with this product too. I paid the money needed to use it and i have of course the lastest updates on my system including Purevideo and somehow in WM10 it doesn't produce video either sound too.

Any thoughts folks?

SLippe
04-11-06, 12:51 AM
Video card? Driver version?

The Bigman
04-11-06, 10:06 AM
Pair of 7800GTS's and 84.25's.

sharangad
04-11-06, 10:57 AM
Pair of 7800GTS's and 84.25's.
To test WMV HD, install the two patches from this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888656

and then trying playing back any WMV HD 1080p trailers from www.wmvhd.com.

Try playing them back with WMP10 set to plain Jane overlay ( VMR unticked ), VMR overlay, VMR High Quality and notice whether there's any difference in CPU utilisation OR even whether they playback properly.

To test H264 decoding, download a few Quicktime 1080p trailers such from www.apple.com/trailers ( if you have quicktime alternative installed, disable the DirectShow filter as this will otherwise much things up. )

Try playing back the H264 clips with the free trial of Nero from here:

http://www.nero.com/enu/NVidia.php ( make sure hardware acceleration is checked. ) If it works, you should notice a reduction in CPU utilisation and a perfect image. If H264 decoding doesn't work ( possibly due to driver issues like on my AGP 6600 GT ), you'll either get the CPU maxing out and an amazingly low framerate OR low CPU utilisation with an abstract art effect ( which is what I get on my AGP 6600 GT ).

To test MPEG-2 HD playback try playing back a HD MPEg-2/.ts/.tp file with any DVD Player/MPEG-2 decoder which uses DXVA ( such as PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero and nVidia's PureVideo decoder ) . MPEg-2 acceleration should work with any app, however nVidia's PureVideo decoder will have some features like bad-edit detection and such which won't with any other MPEG-2 decoder.

The Bigman
04-11-06, 02:00 PM
I got it to work on both pc's with the sli setup i get nice vibrant video and 5.1 audio. But on the MCE box i get the nice video no sound though. thats very weird no sound.

same thing inside the media center extension.

I have to look into this very carefully to see why i can't get audio.

The Bigman
04-16-06, 10:09 PM
ANy thoughts to no sound in Meidia player 10 or MCE?

fps_dean
04-16-06, 11:00 PM
ANy thoughts to no sound in Meidia player 10 or MCE?
Your sound was muted? No idea....

I've that before though... it really pissed me off when I figured out why I had no sound!

The Bigman
04-17-06, 01:09 PM
No there is sound in regular videos on wmp but the hd ones. the video looks good but no sound.

sharangad
04-17-06, 01:21 PM
No there is sound in regular videos on wmp but the hd ones. the video looks good but no sound.

If you have Nero installed, you'll only get sound with Nero Showtime. That's because its codecs aren't DirectShow compatible and mess up the system codecs. If you need PureVideo H264 support you could try buy Cyberlink's H264 decoder/DVD Player:

http://www.cyberlink.com/oem/nVidia/0602/enu/index.jsp

You only need it for H264 decoding and not for anything else. WMVD HD decoding should work fine with KB888656 installed and WMP10 set to one of the VMR modes.

You can get some WMV HD sample clips from:

www.wmvhd.com

Also, some online retailers sell WMV HD DVDs with full 720p or 1080p movies on a single regular DVD in Europe ( Germany ) with regular movies.

The Bigman
04-17-06, 03:31 PM
Do they have HD DVD"s for the home entertainment DVD part? I would like to keep using HDR from Purevideo becuase its bundled with my stuff and i updated it. Maybe just wiping out the system will give it that fix it needs.

Also i could remove Nero and try that too but i have nero on both boxes same version and my othe PC works fine with Audio and Video.

sharangad
04-17-06, 03:35 PM
I would like to keep using HDR from Purevideo becuase its bundled with my stuff and i updated it.

What's HDR from PureVideo?

The Bigman
04-17-06, 06:09 PM
You know HD content or high quality video and sound.

foodude2
05-08-06, 12:16 AM
I have a 6600GT and the 84.21 Drivers.

No problem playing back these HD vids nicely at 1200 X 1600 rez, and maybe getting 35% or so cpu usage.

I have never installed pure video, and apparently don't need it.

Video: Windows Media Video 9 1440x1080 (16:9) 23.98fps 8000Kbps [Raw Video 1]

Sound right?

sharangad
05-08-06, 08:54 AM
I have a 6600GT and the 84.21 Drivers.

No problem playing back these HD vids nicely at 1200 X 1600 rez, and maybe getting 35% or so cpu usage.

I have never installed pure video, and apparently don't need it.

Video: Windows Media Video 9 1440x1080 (16:9) 23.98fps 8000Kbps [Raw Video 1]

Sound right?

That depends on your CPU. If you have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4A then you're a magician. If you have a dual core CPU then this is mostly irrelevant.

You failed to mention whether you have an AGp or PCI-E 6600GT.

foodude2
05-08-06, 12:09 PM
no magic at all. amd 64 3200 cpu & pci-e.

Is is possible the wmp driver is sufficient, telling you the playback looks flawless.

Pretty sure I never did the pure vidoeo thing, certainly didnt pay for it, and theres nothing on the system that refers to that driver.

sharangad
05-08-06, 02:43 PM
no magic at all. amd 64 3200 cpu & pci-e.

Is is possible the wmp driver is sufficient, telling you the playback looks flawless.

Pretty sure I never did the pure vidoeo thing, certainly didnt pay for it, and theres nothing on the system that refers to that driver.

For WMV HD playback you don't need a separate paid for application. Just KB88656 from Microsoft, which is also free.

The PCI-E 6600 GT doesn't have any issues with WMV HD playback or even H264 playback. H264 playback requires a supporting Purevideo compatible decoder.

The PureVideo MPEG-2/DVD decoder from nVidia is for DVD/MPEG-2 playback and has nothing whatsoever to do with WMV HD.