PDA

View Full Version : Recall on Creative Lab's Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Cards if any?

Digital_Trans
04-11-06, 02:49 AM
Has there been alot of recalls for Creative Lab's Sound Blaster X-Fi Series sound cards? I wasn't sure but, asking never hurts? :D

AthlonXP1800
04-11-06, 03:24 AM
No here was not alots of recall but here was one recall on X-Fi soundcards back about November 2005 due incompatiblity issues, Creative flashed all the cards with new firmware to fixed the issues and also fitted all with heatsinks. I bought X-Fi XtremeMusic OEM card 4 months ago, it worked flawless. :D

Digital_Trans
04-11-06, 03:32 AM
No here was not alots of recall but here was one recall on X-Fi soundcards back about November 2005 due incompatiblity issues, Creative flashed all the cards with new firmware to fixed the issues and also fitted all with heatsinks. I bought X-Fi XtremeMusic OEM card 4 months ago, it worked flawless. :D

Should I be concerned? I purchased my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality X-64 Ram way before November 2005. I don't have heatsinks on the card.
Do I need to RMA the card or can I update the firmware myself and have Creative ship me the heatsinks??? What's the best solution for me. I want to be current and I don't want problems down the road.

AthlonXP1800
04-11-06, 04:02 AM
Should I be concerned? I purchased my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality X-64 Ram way before November 2005. I don't have heatsinks on the card.
Do I need to RMA the card or can I update the firmware myself and have Creative ship me the heatsinks??? What's the best solution for me. I want to be current and I don't want problems down the road.

Yes you better RMA the card as you cant have the firmware flashed, Creative have to flash your card firmware and fitted heatsink on it themself and ship the card back to you.

sharangad
04-11-06, 06:30 AM
Yes you better RMA the card as you cant have the firmware flashed, Creative have to flash your card firmware and fitted heatsink on it themself and ship the card back to you.

I believe they started using heatsinks to increase yields, as they couldn't get enough to run within tolerances at the required clockspeed.

The firmware upgrade is for some nForce 4 mobos, which with the X-Fi Extreme Music installed wouldn't boot up.

superklye
04-11-06, 07:30 AM
If it's working, don't worry about it. Yeesh.

dwhjr77
04-11-06, 11:52 AM
Imcompatible with Nforce 4 mobo's. Goodness, what Mobo's where they testing on? nforce 4 is the most popular chipset, and not being able to boot up on install is ridiculous. Good thing, mine worked flawlessly.

Lfctony
04-11-06, 11:56 AM
Same here. However, my card came open. It's a possibility that my supplier shipped it back for a firmware update.

DansFace
04-11-06, 12:31 PM
My X-FI music has no heatsink..

and IMO This is one of the greatest sounds cards I hvae bought :)

Digital_Trans
04-11-06, 01:00 PM
My X-FI music has no heatsink..

and IMO This is one of the greatest sounds cards I hvae bought :)

Have you had any problems?

Digital_Trans
04-12-06, 12:12 AM
Would someone have a direct contact link to Creative? I want to RMA my card a/sap! I spent alot of money on my setup and I don't want shorted on performance.
Being said, I've got an nForce4 motherboard "Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe".

superklye
04-12-06, 12:18 AM
If you aren't having any problems, I don't think you can (or should, for that matter) RMA it. What's the big deal? If your card was incompatible, it wouldn't be working. My Elite Pro has no heatsink either, but it works and that's what matters, right?

Be happy with what you've got and enjoy it. Don't worry until worrying it warranted. :)

Digital_Trans
04-12-06, 01:10 AM
If you aren't having any problems, I don't think you can (or should, for that matter) RMA it. What's the big deal? If your card was incompatible, it wouldn't be working. My Elite Pro has no heatsink either, but it works and that's what matters, right?

Be happy with what you've got and enjoy it. Don't worry until worrying it warranted. :)

Okay, I won't RMA the card. I'm not having issues so no need to RMA it.
Thanks! (nana2)

Vik1dk
04-12-06, 08:09 AM
As Sharangad wrote
Hi everyone,

Based on the high demand we are seeing for the recently launched Sound Blaster X-Fi range of sound cards, we have been working towards increasing supply. Achieving this involves using different techniques and one of these is refining the production process of the X-Fi chip, which in turn results in the chip generating more heat. All chips generate heat and some run very hot, but this is not an issue providing some form of heat dissipation is implemented. We have therefore implemented a heat-sink on all Sound Blaster X-Fi based cards going forwards.
Sound Blaster X-Fi products, with or without a heat-sink, have identical audio quality, performance levels, feature set and reliability.
We are continuing efforts to refine the production process further and may in the future revert to a cooler-running X-Fi chip that does not require a heat-sink.
As always, Creative tests and makes changes throughout the life cycle of a product to ensure that we only ship hardware that is reliable and of the highest quality.

Cat

Fathertime36
04-12-06, 09:03 AM
Here is the thing I ended up returning not one but four of these cards until I finally got one that worked, and one of the replacement which btw all of them seemed to be factory sealed had a old/used sb live card...man I was furious to say the least, i noticed at some point creative did a revision and added a heat sink to the sound processing unit....but yeah seems like they have an issue with quality control, and this card I have now, the one that works has problems with interferance from time to time, poping noises and such, I know one thing that seems to be a trigger is trying to use the mic, oh yeah what really sucks is with this carrds you can no longer use the front panel you must either buy the leet set up for a couple of hundred more that comes with the front panel or you end up have to make alll conection to the card itself at the back of your case.

The Bigman
04-13-06, 10:08 PM
The are the major semtems to look for for this soundcard? I have one and seens ok to me but could some list to go by so i can check for these issues.

Knowing what to look for is easier than not knowing.

nforcer
04-25-06, 01:01 AM
I bought a X-Fi Platinium in March and it came without a heatsink. Thinking that this might be a older revision that might present problem for Nforce motheboard, I went ahead and pop it in to my A8NE and have so far not encountered any major issues. Only 1 slight one I have with BF2 game and that is solved easily by looking solutions in the Creative Forum. I have yet to experience popping and crackles, so far i love it :)