PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD & Blue-Ray Roms?

mullet
04-11-06, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know when these roms will hit for PC's and how much?

ViN86
04-11-06, 12:47 PM
all those are still bein tested in japan to my knowledge. i dont think the HDDVD/Blue Ray discs are gonna hit the US til later 06 maybe even 07.

besides, dont you need HDCP for these things? :(

-=DVS=-
04-11-06, 01:48 PM
New video card (with HDCP chip & HDMI ) + new OS (Vista) + new Monitor (HDCP & HDMI) for PC , only then you can watch HD movies :thumbdwn:

For regular use Blue-Ray Roms according to Inq (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30903) will cost ~25$ for 25GBs , for time being.

a12ctic
04-11-06, 02:29 PM
Yuck ill stick with dvd's thank you...

Superfly
04-11-06, 02:41 PM
GARDEN CITY, NY, April 10, 2006 – TDK, a world leader in digital recording solutions, today announced that it has begun shipping 25GB recordable and rewritable Blu-ray Disc media to retailers nationwide. A pioneer of blue laser recording technology and founding member of the
Blu-ray Disc Association, TDK is the first to market with bare Blu-ray Disc media. Retail pricing is set at $19.99 for a 25GB BD-R (recordable) and $24.99 for a 25GB BD-RE (rewritable). In addition, TDK will ship 50GB Blu-ray Disc media later this year with retail pricing set at $47.99 for a
50GB BD-R (recordable) and $59.99 for a 50GB BD-RE (rewritable).

The revolutionary single-sided discs are bare, cartridge-free media. The 25GB products are single layer whereas the 50GB products have a dual layer recording material structure. TDK first shipped mass production samples in December 2005, and with the subsequent issuance of the relevant license, the company immediately commenced full force manufacturing.

"TDK is pleased to be the first to market with bare Blu-ray Disc media, which can be counted among the most significant product introductions in the company’s distinguished 70 year history," noted Bruce Youmans, TDK Vice President of Marketing. "TDK has been involved in the development of blue laser recording technology since 1998, and TDK innovations such as hard coating and our inorganic dye formulation have played an essential role in making this revolutionary new format a reality. From backing up today’s large capacity hard drives and servers to authoring and recording high definition video and sharing high resolution digital image collections, TDK Blu-ray Discs set new standards in recording and playback by offering unprecedented capacities, fast transfer rates and revolutionary durability."

http://www.tdk.com/procommon/press/article.asp?site=corp&recid=115

a12ctic
04-11-06, 02:45 PM
50gb? more than one of my hd's

Peoples-Agent
04-11-06, 06:23 PM
And please welcome the new era of Betamax 2.

GamerGuyX
04-11-06, 06:32 PM
New video card (with HDCP chip & HDMI ) + new OS (Vista) + new Monitor (HDCP & HDMI) for PC , only then you can watch HD movies :thumbdwn:

DVI can also be HDCP compliant and not just HDMI.

Riptide
04-11-06, 06:48 PM
And please welcome the new era of Betamax 2.

mullet
04-11-06, 11:57 PM
well I built a PC just for my HD mitx 65" tv. SO I was thinking it would be cheaper way to go vs HD-DVD player.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/04/10/toshiba_hd-DVD_qosmio_may_japan/

Toshiba has announced that its Qosmio laptop featuring HD-DVD will be released in Japan in May.

We saw the Toshiba Qosmio laptop first at CES in January. It sports an Intel Core Duo processor and 7800 graphics from Nvidia to handle HD-DVDs H.264 decoding in hardware. A 17" screen running at a 1080p-friendly 1920x1200 resolution rounds out the package.

Toshiba has also gone to town on multimedia features. Integrated into the machine are both analogue and digital TV tuners as well as a HDMI output for connecting to a home cinema system. There are also Harmon Kardon speakers for better-than-average sound reproduction.

The machine is a nice bit of kit - if bulky - and will retail for around 1950 when it hits Japan. No word on a Western release, but we can't imagine it will be long before we see it over here, especially with the lucrative student buying market kicking off in June - this system would be great for dorm rooms everywhere!