PDA

View Full Version : 64 Bit Windows Drivers

Marovincian
04-11-06, 05:03 PM
I think it's ridiculous that nvidia hasn't released drivers for Windows XP 64 that support the new 7600-7900 line. Having to use beta drivers this long after a product release isn't acceptable.

They also lag behind with drivers for Windows MCE. Drivers is one of the biggest advantages that Nvidia has over ATI. That lead is eroding fast. ATI is coming out with innovations like the HDR+AA patch for Oblivion, while I'm stuck with flashing textures.

NOT HAPPY.:thumbdwn:

Vik1dk
04-11-06, 05:35 PM
Agreed, its a joke and it kinda bite itself in the @ss, no one wanna use x64 b/c of lack of drivers and no drivers b/c no one use x64.
I was pissed too, got a new card and x64 drivers on the cd weeee , but they didnt support for the card it came with :o

rewt
04-11-06, 05:37 PM
Yeah poor driver support is the main reason I stick with 32-bit Windows. And trust me it is not just NVIDIA who lacks full support for Windows x64.

Peoples-Agent
04-11-06, 05:43 PM
Nope, which is why my legit copy of x64 is sat on my shelf as a playground for the spiders...cobweb city.

Vik1dk
04-11-06, 05:51 PM
Yah last examble was a few days ago, i needed a tv tuner card and i was stuck with a asus(:thumbdwn: ), neither Hauppauge, Pinnacle or Sapphire had any x64 drivers
And it dont looks like MS give a f*ck, they could use their power to force it, like they done before

SH0DAN
04-11-06, 05:56 PM
Ms has horrible support for XP64,the worst imho of any one company,none of there Kb's or mice or other hardware parts have xp64 drivers.I have a 'Digital Media Pro Keyboard (one in french and one in english)as well as a brand new MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard (Gullwing)4000 + Mouse,that came with a cd that upon insertion into my Liteon dvd burner,a screen came up telling me that "This product does not support XP64" !!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!??????!?!?!!!!!!! WTF.....So I went online looking at MS's website and I found out they have NO 64 bit driver support for any of there hardware !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Kb cost me 65 usd + 16 bucks for delivery.The 4000 gullwing is the best kb mouse combo I have ever used in my life,but MS support for it SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first real problem I have had with finding xp64 drivers,except of course Nvidia,dragging there heals over the last four months badly with driver updates.Oh,and where is the magical driver release for Oblivion!?? for us xp64 users ? In fact what is the point in 64 bit cpu's!!!!?????????!!! If there is little to NO support for it from companies the size of MS and Nv,and I dont see AMD picking up the proverbial ball and running with it,me is pissed!!!

Peoples-Agent
04-11-06, 05:59 PM
Ms has horrible support for XP64,the worst imho of anyone company,none of there Kb's or mice or other hardware parts have xp64 drivers.I have a 'Digital Media Pro Keyboard (one in french and one in english)as well as a brand new
MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard (Gullwing)4000 + Mouse,that came with a cd that upon insertion ionto my Liteon dvd burner,a screen came up telling me that "This product does not support XP64" So I went online looking at MS's website and I found out they have NO support for any of ther hardware !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Kb cost me 65 usd + 16 bucks for delivery.The 4000 gullwing is the best kb mouse combo I have ever used in my life,but MS support for it SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first real problem I have had with finding xp64
drivers,except of course Nvidia dragging there heals over the last four months
with driver updates.Oh,and where is the magical driver release for Oblivion!??
for us xp64 users ? In fact what is the point in 64 bit cpu's!!!!?????????!!! If
there is little to NO support for it from companies the size of MS and Nv,and I
dont see AMD picking up the proverbial ball and running with it,me is pissed!!!

Sums it up :thumbdwn:

Will we get the same problems with two variants of Vista?

The amount this is likely to set me back in the UK for a more functioning version comparable to Pro over Home is worrying, no chance i'd buy the 32bit edition having discovered 64bit has no driver support.

SH0DAN
04-13-06, 07:37 PM
Check out the HardOCP front page.....

Vik1dk
04-13-06, 07:48 PM
Well thats good news(nana2)

Burpy
04-13-06, 08:22 PM
Good timing on the 64-bit question --- we have a new 64-bit XP driver (version 84.25) actually scheduled to post tomorrow at 9am EDT !

Source: [ HardOCP (http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTgyMTAsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=) ]

Sweet! :thumbsup:

mikedep333
04-14-06, 02:51 AM
First of all, I should point out that laptopvideo2go has had x64 drivers for the new 7000 series cards for a while.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?drivers&series=80&os=2&type=1&dir=1

Anyway, the problem with windows as a platform, is that the vast majority of drivers are closed source and need to be ported to windows x64 by the original developers, with a fair amount of work involved I believe. Even worse is that many apps rely on 32-bit driver components also (like copy restricted games.)
Therefore introducing windows xp x64 in the middle of the lifespan of windows xp was never intended for the average home user using a variety of wierd hardware and applications. It was intended to satisfy the enthusiasts that simply had to have a 64-bit operating system, and to fulfill the needs of professionals that needed the extra performance and memory, and are in close contact with the system manufacturers who can provide x64 compatible apps/drivers. After all, why do you think windows xp x64 isn't even sold in physical stores?
When windows Vista comes out and most drivers will need to be ported to it anyway, Microsoft has a chance to remove the cycle of people not using x64 and apps/drivers not being compatible with it. They can then accomplish the major transition to x64.

Until it comes out, the only sizable group of windows users that require x64 nvidia drivers are the professionals with quadros, and I believe they had their drivers with full compatiblity for new hardware out in february as seen below.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_83.62

At least you windows x64 users are getting more frequent driver releases than us linux users still.

mikedep333
04-14-06, 03:04 AM
Oh, and Vik1dk, Hauppauge does have windows x64 drivers now.