PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Limit?

kam03
04-11-06, 09:10 PM
My CPU reaches 55 C and my graphics cards reaches 94 C on max load, should I be worried?

They are both OC'ed.

Thanks

Rytr
04-11-06, 09:14 PM
You are running too high temps on both.

BTW, ask a Mod to move your thread instead of posting in multiple forums, thanks.

Q
04-11-06, 09:14 PM
My CPU reaches 55 C and my graphics cards reaches 94 C on max load, should I be worried?

They are both OC'ed.

Thanks

Yes and yes. Stop OCing so hard. 90 is definetly a danger level...you are probably clocking them too hard or have poor case cirulation. I thought I had good air flow until the 6800 Ultra. I was getting similiar temps. I put an NV silencer on mine and it helped, but nothing helps more than some more cold air being pushed towards them.

Clay
04-11-06, 09:25 PM
Also, please do not make duplicate posts on other threads. Thanks.

UltraEvo
04-13-06, 08:39 AM
Omg that is crazy 90 C and your graphics card is still ok? My 6600GT goes wrong when it reaches higher then 55 C.

Grechie
04-14-06, 06:32 AM
my 6600gt is 50 on idle n hits bout 85 on full load gaming oc'd n its fine

betterdan
04-14-06, 07:05 AM
My 7800GTX hits about 64C full load. CPU about 54C full load

Fathertime36
04-14-06, 09:06 AM
55 is the absolute threshold for a amd64 cpu be it a 64/fx/ or x2, I waited until i could get a good aftermarket hsf before attempting any kind of oc, if i where you i would set the clocks back to default and buy a good hsf set-up. I know I'm stating the obvious/
normal temps for my cpu are 33 idle and 40-42 load while oced and the for the vga 40 idle and 55-60 load with the oc in my sig on stock cooling, I ended up cutting the side panel of my case and installed a piece of plexi- glass, then i cut two 60mm ports directly beside where my vga sits and installed 2 60mm fans, I also cut and installed a 120mm port/fan direct beside where the cpu is, this brought the temps down a lot, if i did it again which i may in the near future I would go with 120mm fans, they push and pull more air at less rpm's and of course quietier...a lot quietier...sp*

nutball
04-14-06, 09:18 AM
55 is the absolute threshold for a amd64 cpu be it a 64/fx/ or x2,

This is not true. The temperature limit for AMD64's varies from chip to chip (not just model to model, but individual CPU to individual CPU). In the latest core steppings it's even wired into the chip and you can read it out using this application:

AMD TCaseMax (http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83)

It seems to vary between about 50C and 70C; so picking 55C out of the air is just silly frankly.

For the graphics card ... well that also depends on the model. As guidance, the default shut-down temperature on my 7900GT is 125C -- that's the default as in recommended by NVIDIA. So 95C is fine.

SLippe
04-14-06, 12:04 PM
55 is a little warm for your cpu, but not the worst. According to AMD's website, for my cpu anyways, the max temps are 49-60 or 62, can't remember. And even though the gpu card says the threshold is 1xx' C, I seriously doubt that the card would even make it to that. It'd burn up before then. Most guys over at Extremeclocking.com advise to keep your cpu under 50' C if at all possible.

nutball
04-14-06, 01:45 PM
And even though the gpu card says the threshold is 1xx' C, I seriously doubt that the card would even make it to that. It'd burn up before then.

I'm confused, why would NVIDIA implement a thermal throttling / shut-down mechanism in their hardware, then in their drivers set the threshold temperature above that at which the GPU is destroyed?

Most guys over at Extremeclocking.com advise to keep your cpu under 50' C if at all possible.

Most overclockers recommend 6/7/800W power supplies too. There's a lot of "lore" surrounding overclocking.

parecon
04-14-06, 02:09 PM
55 is a little warm for your cpu, but not the worst. According to AMD's website, for my cpu anyways, the max temps are 49-60 or 62, can't remember. And even though the gpu card says the threshold is 1xx' C, I seriously doubt that the card would even make it to that. It'd burn up before then. Most guys over at Extremeclocking.com advise to keep your cpu under 50' C if at all possible.

Depends totally on CPU. 55 is not warm for any stock AMD combo, I would say its about average for a standard case and AMD cpu with stock hs/f. My x2 4800+ gets as high as 52C under load, this is with AS5 and multiple hs/f fan sets to obtain maximum heat transfer (with stock hs/f). My fx-53 gets about 60+C underload with an aftermarket cooler.

However, AMD considers my x2 max temp as 65C while my fx-53 as 75C. Seeing as how he owns a 4000+, I would say your pullin damn good temps if you getting 55C under load, with stock hs/f. Your vid card is what you need to fix...

kam03
04-14-06, 03:49 PM
Depends totally on CPU. 55 is not warm for any stock AMD combo, I would say its about average for a standard case and AMD cpu with stock hs/f. My x2 4800+ gets as high as 52C under load, this is with AS5 and multiple hs/f fan sets to obtain maximum heat transfer (with stock hs/f). My fx-53 gets about 60+C underload with an aftermarket cooler.

However, AMD considers my x2 max temp as 65C while my fx-53 as 75C. Seeing as how he owns a 4000+, I would say your pullin damn good temps if you getting 55C under load, with stock hs/f. Your vid card is what you need to fix...

I have cleaned all the dust out the heat sink from both CPU and GPU and the temps have gone down to:

CPU: 47 C max load
GPU: 79 C max load
Room temp: 22 C
Ambient temp: 33 C
Both CPU and GPU are OC'ed aswell.

SLippe
04-14-06, 03:53 PM
I have cleaned all the dust out the heat sink from both CPU and GPU and the temps have gone down to:

CPU: 47 C max load
GPU: 79 C max load
Room temp: 21 C
Ambient temp: 33 C
Both CPU and GPU are OC'ed aswell.
Yeah, that helps too. :D

MattC
04-14-06, 10:05 PM
my 6600gt is 50 on idle n hits bout 85 on full load gaming oc'd n its fine

I get about the same temps from my 6600GT! 85 on full load meaning after ATITool or something has been warming it for half an hour, though. Generally in gaming it's only in 70s. If it's a cold day then it idles at 40 or so.

Mind you, I only bought it a while ago. It hasn't been through an Aussie summer yet...

Grechie
04-15-06, 01:11 AM
I get about the same temps from my 6600GT! 85 on full load meaning after ATITool or something has been warming it for half an hour, though. Generally in gaming it's only in 70s. If it's a cold day then it idles at 40 or so.

Mind you, I only bought it a while ago. It hasn't been through an Aussie summer yet...

go the aussie summer's!

loafer87gt
04-15-06, 02:36 AM
When I was trying to troubleshoot my artifacting and lockups on my BFG 6800GT card I thought the high temps might have had something to do with the problem. Underload, the card would hit well over 110C and would start to act up. A call to BFG revealed that this is perfectly normal and they said that their cards are designed to run up to ~120C underload and that something else in my system was responsible for the artifacting. In the end, I was able to fix the artifacting by lowering my core speeds to 330, and the temps dropped to high 90's under load.

Seems these cards just run hot!

Digital_Trans
04-15-06, 11:08 AM
Man, I thought my cpu and video card temps were bad. I'm glad your computer is still running at the moment. With those extremely high temps, your computer should be shutting down.

Fathertime36
04-15-06, 12:52 PM
This is not true. The temperature limit for AMD64's varies from chip to chip (not just model to model, but individual CPU to individual CPU). In the latest core steppings it's even wired into the chip and you can read it out using this application:

AMD TCaseMax (http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83)

It seems to vary between about 50C and 70C; so picking 55C out of the air is just silly frankly.

For the graphics card ... well that also depends on the model. As guidance, the default shut-down temperature on my 7900GT is 125C -- that's the default as in recommended by NVIDIA. So 95C is fine.

k you know what you could run it at it's up most temp threshold and then have to wonder when it was going to go up in flames and have to be replaced, silly......yeah whatever........of course it is my personal opinion but if you want to keep the temps within reasonable limits 55 load is my limit, if it get's to be any hotter then that I either declock it or shut it down until I can get a better cooling solution.....you can do a lot of things, doesn't necessarily mean these thing would be smart. :O
btw there is a purpose behind phase change cooling...think about it

Fathertime36
04-15-06, 12:54 PM
z

MattC
04-15-06, 09:38 PM
go the aussie summer's!

Not when they force you to run open case to avoid crashes... I really don't want that to happen this year. I added a slot cooler below my video card, because the video card heat was just going up to join the CPU/chipset heat. Now it gets exhaused straight back out the bottom. I hope it makes the difference, but I won't know until I try to game on a 40 degree day...