PDA

View Full Version : New PC not working

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 09:38 AM
I got all the parts for my computer last night and attmepted to build it. I went step by step and I thought I did everything correctly. I turned it on and it has power and the fans work and the mobo has power but nothing shows up on the screen. The screen shows the self test screen saying it works so its not the monitor and I know its a hardware problem. Could it just be wires not going into the right places or something like that?

Ninjaman09
04-12-06, 09:45 AM
Honestly there's no way we could help you with so little information. Do not start randomly plugging in wires to different places to try to get things running; best-case nothing will happen, worst-case you can damage your hardware. As for what's happening, it could be any number of things from an incompatible CPU, improperly installed CPU, RAM, etc. Could you list the individual parts you purchased?

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 09:58 AM
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard
Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (x2)
Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 300GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-150 / Hard Drive
XFX GeForce 7300 GS TurboCache

Those are the main parts.

Ninjaman09
04-12-06, 10:36 AM
Is there any kind of error code or beep coming from the motherboard, or is it just nonresponsive when you power up?

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 11:50 AM
The motherboard has power and goes on. I'm sure its just wires going in the worng places or I messed up on a few steps. Im gong to re try later on in the day and go over my steps.

Ninjaman09
04-12-06, 01:00 PM
Well there is a big difference between your motherboard having power and your system being able to POST. Good luck, either way.

a12ctic
04-12-06, 01:42 PM
Your motherboard is probobly torqued in to much losen all the screws. If that doesnt work, if your using a 20+4 pin connecter unattach the extra 4 pins and see if itll go.

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 01:59 PM
When I get home later I am going to check the CPU and make sure it is in, check the RAM, and check the motherboard and tighten screws if nessicary. I realzie you guys can't even relly help without seeing it and whatnot but thanks for all the input. Keep it coming and hopefully we can get this going. Thanks a lot guys.

a12ctic
04-12-06, 03:56 PM
When I get home later I am going to check the CPU and make sure it is in, check the RAM, and check the motherboard and tighten screws if nessicary. I realzie you guys can't even relly help without seeing it and whatnot but thanks for all the input. Keep it coming and hopefully we can get this going. Thanks a lot guys.
First UN-TIGHTEN the screws on the mobo before you do anything, this definatly sounds like grounding

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 04:38 PM
Thanks for everything guys. I got it working. It was a missing power cable going into a place on the motherboard. (Not the 24 pin one.) It's formatting the hard drive and when it's all set ill p[ost my specs and pics and stuff. Thanks for all your help guys.

Bearclaw
04-12-06, 10:15 PM
I got everything working now but when I am on the internet and I try to scroll down on pages, it goes super super slow. What could the possibilities be? Is it the processor. I have a AMD Athlon 3200+.

Also, one more thing, I have no sound and I am using onboard sound from the motherboard. How do i activate that or do what I need to do?

Sidric
04-12-06, 10:39 PM
Now you probably have the wonderful task of installing drivers . . this includes video, audio, motherboard, NIC, etc. Also depending on the motherboard you may have to update the BIOS. Do some research, figure out what components you're using, and get the most current updates for those components.

After that, well you're still not done. Your operating system will need the most current, relevant updates as well as any security software you have installed.

Bearclaw
04-13-06, 07:34 AM
OK. I fixed all the problems with those drivers I installed. Thanks everyone who helped me on my first build. My specs are in my sgnature now.