PDA

View Full Version : Antec P150?

shaker718
04-12-06, 09:44 AM
I am in the market for a new case. My old case while large is noisy as hell and the cooling is sup par. Summer is on its way and I don't really want to have to have the AC running all day and all night while rendering projects. I read some positive reviews about this case (and some negative with regards to the PS that comes with the case), but I wanted to get the skinny from someone who actually has it. How is the case? Is there enough room to work in? How is noise with this case (especially if you add the two 92mm fans in front)? Any pics of your set up? Thanks!

Sazar
04-12-06, 09:48 AM
One of the mods at the site in my sig recently setup a config with a 1900xt and a multitude of other components.

His name is Madmatt, you can search probably and see his system build thread. He has a number of pics posted about his package (including the inside) and any and all issues/non-issues he had.

shaker718
04-12-06, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the link. I still need more info, he didnt really touch on any of the points Im concerned about, the pics were a good starting point tho.

Sazar
04-12-06, 11:00 AM
I would probably just do a search for more p150 reviews on google.

I have a p-160 myself and did a review on that site for the case, I can answer any questions about that product myself lol, but not the p-150.

nutball
04-13-06, 03:36 AM
I'm building a new machine in a P150 right at this moment. It's a great case, the PSU is very quiet (not silent, but very quiet). It's modular too, which is nice, no redundant power cables clogging up the airflow. The issues with the PSU are confined to certain motherboards (eg. the Asus SLI jobbies). I had no problem with mine (Gigabyte mobo). Antec are aware of the issue and will send a replacement PSU if you need one.

For the front fans you could get yourself 2 x 92mm Nexus (not Vantec Nexus, the other Nexus (http://www.nexustek.nl/)) and some Zalman Fan-Mates and run them at ~800rpm. That will provide more than enough airflow to keep your case and HD cool, and will be pretty much inaudible.

I have a 150GB Raptor sat in my case, it stays around 35C with the machine at full pelt. The rubber suspension system for the drive works well, I can't hear the motor of the Raptor (I can hear seeks, but that's the price to pay for the fast drive).

I can't speak for the loudness of the rear 120mm fan that comes with it, I'm not using that I'm doing a sort of all-in-one GPU + CPU duct with a 92mm Nexus to drive the air.

The plastic lining on the inner surface of the panels of the case works well to dampen noise -- the case gives a dull thud if you rap your knuckles on it. I might augment it with some Acoustipack to try to get rid of the Raptor seeks.

As for space -- well it's a midi-tower case. The lower drive bays aren't removable as they are with some other Antec cases, so in that respect it's a bit more restricted. If you're going for a stupidly large graphics card you might have issues (I'm with a 7900GT, it's fine).

Very pleased with it so far.

By the way if you haven't found it already this web-site (http://www.silentpcreview.com/) is the best there is if you want to know about quiet or silent computing.

shaker718
04-13-06, 11:09 AM
I'm building a new machine in a P150 right at this moment. It's a great case, the PSU is very quiet (not silent, but very quiet). It's modular too, which is nice, no redundant power cables clogging up the airflow. The issues with the PSU are confined to certain motherboards (eg. the Asus SLI jobbies). I had no problem with mine (Gigabyte mobo). Antec are aware of the issue and will send a replacement PSU if you need one.

For the front fans you could get yourself 2 x 92mm Nexus (not Vantec Nexus, the other Nexus (http://www.nexustek.nl/)) and some Zalman Fan-Mates and run them at ~800rpm. That will provide more than enough airflow to keep your case and HD cool, and will be pretty much inaudible.

I have a 150GB Raptor sat in my case, it stays around 35C with the machine at full pelt. The rubber suspension system for the drive works well, I can't hear the motor of the Raptor (I can hear seeks, but that's the price to pay for the fast drive).

I can't speak for the loudness of the rear 120mm fan that comes with it, I'm not using that I'm doing a sort of all-in-one GPU + CPU duct with a 92mm Nexus to drive the air.

The plastic lining on the inner surface of the panels of the case works well to dampen noise -- the case gives a dull thud if you rap your knuckles on it. I might augment it with some Acoustipack to try to get rid of the Raptor seeks.

As for space -- well it's a midi-tower case. The lower drive bays aren't removable as they are with some other Antec cases, so in that respect it's a bit more restricted. If you're going for a stupidly large graphics card you might have issues (I'm with a 7900GT, it's fine).

Very pleased with it so far.

By the way if you haven't found it already this web-site (http://www.silentpcreview.com/) is the best there is if you want to know about quiet or silent computing.

Thanks for the info! this is more or less what I wanted to hear. I have a vanilla 6800 modded to a quadro and its pretty friggin long. I'm a bit nervous about the space issues since in my current case, which is larger than the P150, I have 2 hard drives whose power connections are about 1/4 inch away from the power plug of the vid card. If I move to the antec case it would seem that this would be a huge issue. I might go forward and purchase the case tomorrow but man this is worrying me a bit.

nutball
04-13-06, 11:32 AM
I have 2 hard drives whose power connections are about 1/4 inch away from the power plug of the vid card.

Yeah I can see that being a worry. I've just taken a tape measure to my case -- the distance from the back of the case to the drive cage is 275mm (10 3/4 inches). From the back of the case to the back end of the drive in the drive bay is 260mm (10 1/4 inches).

So if your card is longer than ~260mm it'll be a tight squeeze.

shaker718
04-13-06, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I will measure my card a little later and post back. can't turn off the comp right now since I am rendering.

Roadhog
04-13-06, 12:16 PM
the antec P180 is really nice also... I've seen them on sale for under $100.

shaker718
04-13-06, 02:30 PM
the antec P180 is really nice also... I've seen them on sale for under $100.

Dunno about the P180 looks ok I guess but the size doesnt do it for me. Im trying to keep things small and quiet since my apartment is small and not quiet...

But if you can find it for less than a 100 let me know, deal might be good enough to change my mind.

Roadhog
04-13-06, 02:35 PM
mine really quiet.. with all the fans on low you can barely hear it.

Oh here, $91.

http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/Product_accessoriesx.asp?catalog%5Fname=Computer+C ases+%26+Mods&category%5Fname=7g7c56s2202&product%5Fid=779516

jeffmd
04-13-06, 03:03 PM
I just moved my game pc into the P150 a couple weeks ago and love it. I've made a quiet antec case a while ago for my file server, but it was tough to quiet down in the old case I had for my game PC, so I finally did it. The case is quite elegant, comes stock with a quiet and capable psu as well as 120mm fan, and the rubber suspension for your hard drives is great. Also the build in dust filters will be a god send down the road. At the moment its not quiet, but just low noise. The cpu heatsink, even though I ramped it down to 2krms, is quite audible, as are the 2 hard drives in it. I am going to look into a single, bigger, but lower noise (5400rpm) hard drive, and I have my eye set on a quieter heatsink that uses a 90mm fan. At that point, the only 2 things that will probably be audible is my 7800's fan in 3d mode, and maybe the chipset fan (I wont bother with changing either of those though)

john19055
04-16-06, 09:47 PM
I just bought me a Antec P-180 and it is quiet considering it has four fans in it ,but they are the 120mm and on low they are very quiet ,even on high they are not that bad.

nV`andrew
04-16-06, 10:12 PM
the p180 is heavy. my p-160 is so lgiht (WF model) and i love it. around $90 on newegg.

john19055
04-20-06, 01:35 AM
The P-180 antec case is heavy,but it is not that bad,but I don't move it once I have ever thing set up,so that is not a problem for me.