PDA

View Full Version : HDR+AA in new HDR de_dust on a 7900

parecon
04-13-06, 12:42 AM
Just thought I'd share with you some shots of HDR+AA on the updated de_dust map for Counterstrike:Source, on a 7900GTX. One of them is purposely overexposed...

http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dedust00028vo.jpg
http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dedust00019vx.jpg

Superfly
04-13-06, 03:43 AM
looks nice - whens it out??

jolle
04-13-06, 03:53 AM
HDR+AA was in there all the time.
The map was just updated with HDR support, played a bit this morning, neat I guess.. didnt give it much thought after I specificly looked at it and went to play hehe.
And its out now, Steam will update CS:S when you start it.

AngelGraves13
04-13-06, 04:10 AM
True, too bad I don't play multiplayer games much. I can't stand the cheating.

jolle
04-13-06, 04:19 AM
True, too bad I don't play multiplayer games much. I can't stand the cheating.
Im a bit spoiled with that, I found a server which I frequented since, that almost always have admins on, and they BANN for any minor little thing, let alone cheating.
Bann first, ask questions later hehe..
Anyhow, the result is a server with alot of regulars who know eachother a bit and have alot of fun together, anyone even swearing gets banned.

parecon
04-13-06, 12:20 PM
HDR+AA was in there all the time.
The map was just updated with HDR support, played a bit this morning, neat I guess.. didnt give it much thought after I specificly looked at it and went to play hehe.
And its out now, Steam will update CS:S when you start it.

Perhaps, but the map did not have HDR. Thus my title of my thread. I figure I'd give the Source forum a little bit of action.

jolle
04-13-06, 12:31 PM
Yeah, well I just thought it looked odd to mention AA at all, since it really isnt related to anything. no biggie, it just cought my eye.

Btw I was testing a 7800GTX the other day, and I tried out militia, 4xTSAA, HDR 1280x960 and it was like 20fps at that forested place in the begining from CT side.. local server so I was alone, whats up with that? (didnt try it with any other card tho)
And today on a 7900GTX (4xTSAA, HDR, 1280x960) things were fine , insane performance, cept one map where I just had the HUD over a grey screen.. until i turned off AA, anyone had that?
FW 85.25.
Oh and if anyone wonders, the resolution is what I can get @85hz since my other screen died.. unfortunatly..

K-1
04-13-06, 12:34 PM
Personally I just can't get used to HDR in multiplayer games, it makes me feel like I'm not seeing clearly or something especially when I go from playing a regular map to an HDR supported one.

a12ctic
04-13-06, 01:28 PM
There is a new requirment for running hdr http://www.microfasteners.com.au/Safety/safetygrafix/weldmask.jpg
Companies dont want to get sued, so if your not wearing your mask you cant sue them for blindness...

jolle
04-13-06, 01:53 PM
There is a new requirment for running hdr.
Companies dont want to get sued, so if your not wearing your mask you cant sue them for blindness...
Well, I can se the use for it with one of those real HDR displays, whenever they are ment to hit the mainstream..

Rakeesh
04-13-06, 04:42 PM
Personally I just can't get used to HDR in multiplayer games, it makes me feel like I'm not seeing clearly or something especially when I go from playing a regular map to an HDR supported one.

Personally I don't like HDR period. I mean is it supposed to simulate what it is like to be on weed or acid? I mean honestly, since when do walls and floors glow? And since when does regular dirt look orange or the sky look solid white?

Sure I can see where if you sit in a dark room for a long time and then walk outside, everything looks bright and glowy but that goes away after like 15 seconds once your iris contracts, and then your eyesight is completely normal.

HDR is a worthless and pointless feature IMO.

killahsin
04-13-06, 06:47 PM
Well thats sort of the problem with current forms of HDR. It's really supposed to simulate the saturation of light and the context of the atmosphere and setting onto the texture. Allowing the lighting/saturation to change in real time based on the light/atmosphere/time/location on earth. The other things you see are merely side effects of this and added components of specfic game engines. To simulate the way your eyes react to these lighting effects.

But at the current time we don't have the hardware to do it right. It will only get better in the future as hardware supports other components to allow it to look more realistic and les gimmicky. Currently I think oblivions system does it the best merely because of the day/night/week/month/year cycles. And the Lost coast HDR is next in line.

Nutty
04-13-06, 06:54 PM
Been playing that today.. Is this new dust meant to be that bright ? It hurts my eyes at times.. I was getting some slight rendering artifacts with these new 44.43 drivers.. little blue patches appearing on walls and in the tunel floor specular, thought the over-brightness was a glitch too..

Looks nice tho...

rflair
04-13-06, 07:15 PM
Been playing that today.. Is this new dust meant to be that bright ? It hurts my eyes at times.. I was getting some slight rendering artifacts with these new 44.43 drivers.. little blue patches appearing on walls and in the tunel floor specular, thought the over-brightness was a glitch too..

Looks nice tho...

I was working in a sandy area last summer and when the sun reflect off the sand it sure was blinding.

Oblivion has the nicest looking HDR right now, I think it looks sweet with HDR, leaps ahead of bloom.

nutcrackr
04-13-06, 08:16 PM
Haha I looked at the first pic and though it was overexposed.

Looks awful :thumbdwn:

Buenamos
04-13-06, 08:20 PM
Personally I don't like HDR period. I mean is it supposed to simulate what it is like to be on weed or acid?

Hahahahaha, obviously you've never smoked weed. Acid, I wouldn't know, try to stay away from the stuff that should actually be illegal. Anyways, don't wanna start a side argument, I personally like HDR. But I don't play any of the source games so this counts me out.

Sazar
04-13-06, 08:23 PM
It's pretty nice when you play the map, especially on the inside :)

Rakeesh
04-13-06, 09:36 PM
Well thats sort of the problem with current forms of HDR. It's really supposed to simulate the saturation of light and the context of the atmosphere and setting onto the texture. Allowing the lighting/saturation to change in real time based on the light/atmosphere/time/location on earth. The other things you see are merely side effects of this and added components of specfic game engines. To simulate the way your eyes react to these lighting effects.

But at the current time we don't have the hardware to do it right. It will only get better in the future as hardware supports other components to allow it to look more realistic and les gimmicky. Currently I think oblivions system does it the best merely because of the day/night/week/month/year cycles. And the Lost coast HDR is next in line.

I don't see why they bother until that time then. Right now it just plain looks like ass.

Hahahahaha, obviously you've never smoked weed.

About the only thing I've ever done is morphine. But that didn't do anything except make me fall asleep for 45 minutes while I had knee surgery.

K-1
04-13-06, 09:39 PM
There is a new requirment for running hdr Companies dont want to get sued, so if your not wearing your mask you cant sue them for blindness...

LOL ahh that's great! :D

Personally I don't like HDR period. I mean is it supposed to simulate what it is like to be on weed or acid? I mean honestly, since when do walls and floors glow? And since when does regular dirt look orange or the sky look solid white?

Totally agree with ya man!

parecon
04-13-06, 11:38 PM
Haha I looked at the first pic and though it was overexposed.

Looks awful :thumbdwn:

They are both generally overexposed, one is very, and one is just a little. I just wanted to emphasize the effect. As many people have said, it looks pretty sweet playing the game.

Nutty
04-14-06, 07:39 AM
Personally I love HDR. HDR is more than just doing bloom effects, its basically about making the lighting in a game thousands of times more precise than standard 8bit rendering.

The level is very bright.. but I guess its just simulating what happens in real life in very bright countries.. You jump out from a dark tunnel in full sunlight, you're gonna wanna cover your eyes..

|MaguS|
04-14-06, 07:41 AM
Same here Nutty, I love HDR. It makes the world more believable.

Rakeesh
04-14-06, 02:35 PM
Personally I love HDR. HDR is more than just doing bloom effects, its basically about making the lighting in a game thousands of times more precise than standard 8bit rendering.

The level is very bright.. but I guess its just simulating what happens in real life in very bright countries.. You jump out from a dark tunnel in full sunlight, you're gonna wanna cover your eyes..

I live in what is called "the valley of the sun," a desert area renouned for long days, high temperatures, lots of sunlight, and what most people call the best looking sunsets you can get.

There is never a day that looks anything like what these bloom effects do.

killahsin
04-14-06, 08:51 PM
No and there never will be. If your refering to the bloom effect of looking at the sun. The true bloom effect varies on location of the earth. The bloom effect you speak of is actually the dialation of the eye adjusting to the lighting levels of the sun. The issue is current methods and hardware have this bloom effect effect more then just the sun. Secondly the current hdr methods are programmed in a way as to replicate photography and movies more so then the human eye. As I've stated previously, developers and money bags are working on bridging the two mediums.