PDA

View Full Version : UBisoft dropping Starforce! (Great news for GRAW)

Pages : [1] 2

Superfly
04-13-06, 08:58 AM
When it rains, it pours at StarForce

Several websites are reporting that Ubisoft employees have confirmed StarForce DRM will not show up in upcoming Ubisoft titles. Galaad from CelestialHeavens.com (a Heroes of Might and Magic Fansite) claims Ubisoft and Nival are dropping StarForce DRM completely.

The original forum thread (English) contains a Ubisoft employee claiming "We have decided that the anti-copy protection used on the future Ubisoft games won't be the StarForce software" (translated French to English). There was no mention of what DRM would replace StarForce, though comments from other employees among the Ubi forums indicate that no future Ubisoft titles will be DRM-free.

StarForce, the DRM software for several high profile PC games, has been in the news a few times over the last several months. Three months ago, the company drew some attention for a bet made with its users. Comments made by some of the StarForce employees later helped skyrocket the sales of a competing product, and then to round things off Ubisoft sued StarForce a few weeks ago anyway.

source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1760

ENU291
04-13-06, 09:07 AM
Awesome news!! Thanks! :)

Mr. Hunt
04-13-06, 09:22 AM
YES! Oh how the "mighty" have fallen now... This makes me so happy... and great since it came before the new Splinter Cell, which means it won't plague it like Chaos Theory...

VICTOLY!

nrs421
04-13-06, 09:40 AM
awesome news!!

BioHazZarD
04-13-06, 10:16 AM
yeah who wants sf on their computer so great news.

Lfctony
04-13-06, 10:45 AM
This is great news. GRAW and SC4, here I come. :)

Mr_LoL
04-13-06, 11:31 AM
This is great news. I now hope they go out of business.

Riptide
04-13-06, 11:40 AM
Good news. What would be even greater news is if UBI came up with a patch that would remove it from existing games like X3 or Silent Hunter 3.

Knot3D
04-13-06, 12:21 PM
Good job Ubi :)

PikachuMan
04-13-06, 12:48 PM
sweet, I always hated that copy-protection.

zampe
04-13-06, 12:55 PM
Is this an april fools joke post :)
that's not funny ;) :)

wysiwyg
04-13-06, 01:17 PM
Is this an april fools joke post :)
that's not funny ;) :)

april fools is only on april 1st

zampe
04-13-06, 02:13 PM
april fools is only on april 1st
I know it pal... Don't take my comment literally ;)

nekrosoft13
04-13-06, 02:39 PM
i never had a problem with starforce, but its good news anyway.

i just wonder if they will remove it from already released games

GlowStick
04-13-06, 02:42 PM
If this turns out to be true its a great victory to show that companies (eventually) will start listening to customers. I hope more publishers start following suite.

zampe
04-13-06, 03:14 PM
i just wonder if they will remove it from already released games

Replacement former and distribution recent products (without SF) can only increase sales in existing moment
maybe now UBi will leave label "without StarForce" on Game Box

toxikneedle
04-13-06, 03:23 PM
I think Starforce is the reason my Chaos Theory is having graphical glitches....

glObalist
04-13-06, 03:58 PM
Hmmm for all we know Ubi may be implementing some kinda protection scheme that's even better than SF now :P

Lfctony
04-13-06, 05:36 PM
i never had a problem with starforce

Consider yourself lucky. My Plextor 716A is nearly dead because of it, $140 down the drain... :thumbdwn:

Q
04-13-06, 05:43 PM
Hmmm for all we know Ubi may be implementing some kinda protection scheme that's even better than SF now :P

Thats what we're hoping... most of us aren't pirates and some of us have legit issues with Starforce. That's why everyone is so excited. If they make something even better that stops pirates, so be it, just don't be so flaky with our systems.

Elvin Presler
04-13-06, 06:26 PM
If this turns out to be true its a great victory to show that companies (eventually) will start listening to customers.

No, it shows that they will back down when sued for 5 million dollars (http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1559). UBI is still the same copy protection loving ***holes they were. They'll just switch to another intrusive scheme like SecuRom, or Tages that will still prevent their games from running on my PC due to blacklisting of my other completely legit software and hardware that they have decided only pirates use. :thumbdwn:

Q
04-13-06, 06:41 PM
No, it shows that they will back down when sued for 5 million dollars (http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1559). UBI is still the same copy protection loving ***holes they were. They'll just switch to another intrusive scheme like SecuRom, or Tages that will still prevent their games from running on my PC due to blacklisting of my other completely legit software and hardware that they have decided only pirates use. :thumbdwn:

Yeah, I have a hard time accepting that NERO is the cause for piracy...I forget which DRM software said I had to uninstall it because it was a piracy risk, but it damn well pissed me off.

And what's so wrong with using D-Tools so you don't have to dig through a pile of games to find a disk? I can at least undersand the concern about D-Tools..but sometimes they do go a bit far.

Elvin Presler
04-13-06, 07:31 PM
I use Alcohol 120, for many legit reasons. One is to load old games like Tomb Raider 1 - 4 from a virtual drive because they run directly from the CD and stutter like mad and load slowly in a regular CDROM drive. I have purchased and own 5 legit copies of Tomb Raider 1 (3 for Playstation and 2 for PC) plus 1 each of TR 2-5 and I'll be damned if some game publisher is going to tell me I am a pirate now and can't play their newer games I bought because I use Alcohol 120 to play one of my Tomb Raider games.

I've had SecuRom games take up to 5 minutes just "validating" my CD before the game starts, and that's on the older ones that don't blacklist and quit full stop. I've had several SecuRom, and Safedisc games just refuse to run at all for various reasons, some only after applying a bug fixing patch and having it also update the copy protection to completely break the game because of new blacklists. Splinter Cell did that and would not run from my TDK Velo Writer CDROM drive, even with no emulation software ever being installed.

Screw all that. I am not paying to be "strip searched" every time I want to use the product.

Peoples-Agent
04-13-06, 07:34 PM
Awesome, pirate time to parteee , wahooo !

Lfctony
04-14-06, 01:01 AM
Starforce prevents crap mate, the only thing it does is cause problems to legit users. Pirates don't have these problems, they get their stuff SF free. Give me one game that hasn't been cracked...

Securom and Safedisc have their own problems but at least they don't damage hardware... I didn't mind SF till X3:Reunion, when it killed my DVDRW. :thumbdwn: