PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7900's Temps to high for a Watercooled PC

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 10:09 AM
Okay, I removed the Koolance Hydra paks from the hard drives and now I'm only watercooling the Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz Processor and the two BFG 7900'S OC SLI setup.

-Reported temps.

Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz Processor overclocked to 3.36 CPU Idle Temp 33c Full load 65c

BFG 7900 GTX OC 512 SLI GPU-1 idle 40c / Full load 79c GPU-2 idle 45c / Full load 79c

I can't believe these temperatures are higher after removing the Koolance Hydra Paks. I even flushed out the old Kolance liquid and added new. Any suggestions? At this rate I was getting better cooling with the stock heatsink and fans that came with the 7900's.

Superfly
04-13-06, 10:13 AM
thats just weird.

SLippe
04-13-06, 10:26 AM
Yeah, that is very weird. Is that Oblivian on your desktop in that picture?

Vik1dk
04-13-06, 10:37 AM
Removeing the Koolance Hydra paks means less water?

licker
04-13-06, 11:00 AM
Okay, I removed the Koolance Hydra paks from the hard drives and now I'm only watercooling the Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz Processor and the two BFG 7900'S OC SLI setup.

-Reported temps.

Pentium D Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz Processor overclocked to 3.36 CPU Idle Temp 33c Full load 65c

BFG 7900 GTX OC 512 SLI GPU-1 idle 40c / Full load 79c GPU-2 idle 45c / Full load 79c

I can't believe these temperatures are higher after removing the Koolance Hydra Paks. I even flushed out the old Kolance liquid and added new. Any suggestions? At this rate I was getting better cooling with the stock heatsink and fans that came with the 7900's.

Digital, Do you have the optional radiator installed? The cooling system that comes with that case is really only able to handle the proc and and maybe the HD's. I have the koolance case with the integrated watercooling system also but i dont have the second radiator. My WD Raptors 10k Rpm are the only thing being cooled right now and my ram, they stay at around 73f because frankly I dont think it can handle more then my HD's and my ram. I recommend adding a second watercooling system all together or adding in the second radiator to the system. If your looking for low temp's on your 7900's, its probably best to add in a second watercooling solution. I recommend adding in a thermaltake system, they make a 5.25 drive bay reservoir that would fit nicely in that case and just attach it to your 7900's and thats it. Anyway just my 2 cents :D

Dazz
04-13-06, 01:06 PM
The Koolance watercolling system an't really that powerfull i know i have one also, having said that it is doing a good job when you think about the amount of heat that pentium chip creates as well as the video cards. The pump and radiator is not good enough.

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that is very weird. Is that Oblivian on your desktop in that picture? Yes, it's Oblivian.

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 01:44 PM
Digital, Do you have the optional radiator installed? The cooling system that comes with that case is really only able to handle the proc and and maybe the HD's. I have the koolance case with the integrated watercooling system also but i dont have the second radiator. My WD Raptors 10k Rpm are the only thing being cooled right now and my ram, they stay at around 73f because frankly I dont think it can handle more then my HD's and my ram. I recommend adding a second watercooling system all together or adding in the second radiator to the system. If your looking for low temp's on your 7900's, its probably best to add in a second watercooling solution. I recommend adding in a thermaltake system, they make a 5.25 drive bay reservoir that would fit nicely in that case and just attach it to your 7900's and thats it. Anyway just my 2 cents :D

What's the name of that thermaltake product? I was looking around on their website and never saw it.

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 01:53 PM
It's just so odd that my setup had better temps when I was watercooling two hard drives in conjunction with everything else. :(

licker
04-13-06, 02:51 PM
What's the name of that thermaltake product? I was looking around on their website and never saw it.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37_54&products_id=216 Digital, this should be the one you need.

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 02:52 PM
I'm disabled anything that has to do with Overclocking.
I disabled Asus Peg Mode and I disabled overclocking my CPU.
Temps dropped 3 or 4 degrees already. The BFG 7900 GTX is OC already.
Also, my CPU is already at stock 3.2GHz

licker
04-13-06, 03:10 PM
I'm disabled anything that has to do with Overclocking.
I disabled Asus Peg Mode and I disabled overclocking my CPU.
Temps dropped 3 or 4 degrees already. The BFG 7900 GTX is OC already.
Also, my CPU is already at stock 3.2GHz

Just by chance...do you have a fan running in your room? Ive noticed that my koolance systems runs about 7 degrees hotter when the fan is on blowing down towards my system. Also, if you dont seem to be getting the low temps u want from the proc thats now running at stock, check and make sure the waterblock is seated correctly, also check and make sure that u have enough thermal paste there to! Do the same with the 7900's, make sure you didnt miss any memmory modules that require a optional heatsink spreader. If none of that works then I would certainly invest in a second radiator or a second cooling solution. Oh! and one more thing...make sure you radiator isnt clogged with like carpet hair, dust, etc and also see how hot the air is thats coming out of your case. You need a big fan blowing out all that air thats brought into the system from the koolance cooling system, cuz remember the system sucks in air through the radiator and then blows it down into your system so you have to have a good fan venting all that excess hot air. Good luck!:D

Digital_Trans
04-13-06, 04:51 PM
Just by chance...do you have a fan running in your room? Ive noticed that my koolance systems runs about 7 degrees hotter when the fan is on blowing down towards my system. Also, if you dont seem to be getting the low temps u want from the proc thats now running at stock, check and make sure the waterblock is seated correctly, also check and make sure that u have enough thermal paste there to! Do the same with the 7900's, make sure you didnt miss any memmory modules that require a optional heatsink spreader. If none of that works then I would certainly invest in a second radiator or a second cooling solution. Oh! and one more thing...make sure you radiator isnt clogged with like carpet hair, dust, etc and also see how hot the air is thats coming out of your case. You need a big fan blowing out all that air thats brought into the system from the koolance cooling system, cuz remember the system sucks in air through the radiator and then blows it down into your system so you have to have a good fan venting all that excess hot air. Good luck!:D

I put a good share of Artic Silver's Céramique thermal paste on ram and Artic Silver 5 on the GPU. There's really only one way to put the Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) it can only fit on one way. I know it's got to have a sold contact because you hand tight'in the blocks. I could take the Artic Silver 5 off and revert to Artic Silver's Céramique. I've got to find away to lower these temps.

tieros
04-13-06, 06:25 PM
Did you remove the hard drive coolers from the loop, or did you just detach them from the drives?

Digital_Trans
04-14-06, 12:22 AM
Did you remove the hard drive coolers from the loop, or did you just detach them from the drives?

I completely removed the Koolance HDD Hydra Paks from out from my case. I'm only water cooling my CPU and 7900'S in SLI-mode. -Picture attacment of my custom loop pattern.

Digital_Trans
04-14-06, 04:03 AM
Okay, If I don't want to use the Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) Anymore, what might you all suggest I convert to? I'm going to keep everything else the way it is setup such as the CPU and I might even convert back to the water cooling hard drive concept. But, I want to go with a better cooling block for the 7900's Also, can I buy premade thermal pad blankets that I can just cover over the ram? Then all I have to do is cover the GPU with what ever thermal paste I wanna use. Please get back to me on the premade thermal blankets if they even exist...thanks you!

Picture attachemt of what I'm currently using which is Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid)

tieros
04-14-06, 10:15 AM
Here's my guess about what the problem is, but it's pure speculation. Your issue sounds a little like what happened to me last year.

My guess is that your radiator is not dissipating enough heat, and the hard drive coolers (and drives themselves) were previously acting as heat sinks.

Increasing the airflow over the radiator may do the trick. It would certainly be the cheapest thing to try :D

I had a similar problem when I removed the reservoir from my system. My temps shot up, which shouldn't happen in a properly configured system. I was running my radiator fans too slowly. I remounted the fans on the radiator with noise silencers so I could run them faster and still be silent. That was all it needed.

Good luck!

licker
04-14-06, 10:59 AM
Digital...I noticed that you dont have a fan actually pulling air into your system. Before i added a 80mm Fan to the front of the case I was getting temp issues myself. Try adding a big fan to the front of that case and see if you can get your temps to drop a little. Honestly though I think you need to add a second water cooling solution to your box. There are plenty on the market to choose from that would fit nicely in your system. Those cards just put off way to much heat, and above all that they are running on the same cooling system as your proc, i think its just to much heat for that cooling system to handle all together. Good luck :D

Digital_Trans
04-14-06, 12:25 PM
The Koolance case has a fan speed control allowing for air to be pushed out of the case. I noticed when I increase the speed of the fans, the temps on my cpu and 7900's drop. idle temps for GPU-1 45c GPU-2 49c.
Also note, this case has two fans and it also has dual pump action! :D

Digital_Trans
04-15-06, 09:38 PM
Digital...I noticed that you dont have a fan actually pulling air into your system. Before i added a 80mm Fan to the front of the case I was getting temp issues myself. Try adding a big fan to the front of that case and see if you can get your temps to drop a little. Honestly though I think you need to add a second water cooling solution to your box. There are plenty on the market to choose from that would fit nicely in your system. Those cards just put off way to much heat, and above all that they are running on the same cooling system as your proc, i think its just to much heat for that cooling system to handle all together. Good luck :D

There's one in the front of the case blowing on all three hard drives.