PDA

View Full Version : Varla Stones Question...or two

Rolland
04-13-06, 01:10 PM
Hi Guys,

So I'm exploring a Ayelid ruin and now know that the towers that are like motion detectors use Varla stones :)

So I'm excited, cause they sell for tons and I can also use them from time to time. I Can't sneak past them atm, though I learned that whatever damage spell they cast doesn't go through water /woot

So I get right next to one to get the stone and I can't...it's in a case/container at the top of the pillar :(

So my question is...Is there anyway to get an "active" Varla Stone?

And is there a way to protect yourself from their spells?

Ok...2 questions

Thanks a ton for any info on this...was very fustrating "trying" to get at the stone (used all ways that I have at my disposal atm) while being thrashed by another tower's spell

Fun and exciting and fustrating at the same time actually lol

Thx,

Ancient
04-13-06, 02:29 PM
How about using a remote manipulation spell.

Haven't tried it myself, but reading your problem it might be a solution.

|MaguS|
04-13-06, 02:31 PM
Have you tried hitting it with an arrow?

Rolland
04-13-06, 03:18 PM
How about using a remote manipulation spell.

Haven't tried it myself, but reading your problem it might be a solution.

lol not even sure what that is :p

I'll look it up!

And yea I'm pretty sure I tried the bow on 'em, I tried sword, hand, flare damage spell, I'll go back and make sure I try arrows again ;)

I was a bit rushed because of the situation. Can't remember the Ruins name, started with a V I'm pretty sure. Went through a pendulum maze on a corridor and came out the other side with water on either side of me. Went down farther a bit and had the razor trap comming towards me pretty fast (lol you could see the sparks on the floor where it dragged, GOOD stuff that) Jumped in the water to heal up from the tower bursts, realized I had to then go to a stairway that led me right to where 2 Vamp Casters waited. LOL

I tried it several ways from a save point I did in the water, I could sneak past the Vamp Casters but not from the tower attacks. I got right up to the towers where I got the normal text of what ever your looking if close enough and couldn't get 'em. Tried to hide behind one but the casting from the other one went right through heh, so again not much time.

Maybe you're not suppose to be able to get the active ones, I'm not sure...was just an idea :)

Wanted to see if anyone else had tried it :)

I'll go back and just deal with the Ghosts and Vamps, clear them then take my time messing with the towers again and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try!

Regards,

Ancient
04-13-06, 04:18 PM
Remote manipulation is a Mysticism spell for Apprentices that you cast on yourself. It allows you to manipulate objects up to 10 feet away for a number of seconds. There's also one called Psychic Motion for Journeyman, and one for Masters called Movement Mastery. The other two are the same spell as RM, they just work at longer distances for a longer period time.

Not sure it would be a solution for what you seek, but wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I didn't notice there were Varla Stones up there so I'm going to try it later myself. :)

Edit: Forgot to add the Telekenesis spell for expert level.

Pepsiboy
04-13-06, 06:28 PM
Are the spells they shoot that hard to dodge? I could dodge them and not get hit at all. I dont know if we are thinking of the same thing tho. And they are not Varla Stones just so ya know. The Varla Stones are the white ones that dont try to kill you :p

Rolland
04-13-06, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the info Ancient :)

On another forum I was told to hit "any" glowing Blue buttons I might see or find. (which i always have done)That this may unlock to stones.

I always thought the buttons opened the doors that were locked, never looked at the pillars and the stones lol

So I guess I can try that as well, keep us posted on your run!

Regards,

Rolland
04-13-06, 06:32 PM
Are the spells they shoot that hard to dodge? I could dodge them and not get hit at all. I dont know if we are thinking of the same thing tho. And they are not Varla Stones just so ya know. The Varla Stones are the white ones that dont try to kill you :p

In this ruin there were like 3-4 placed in a way that they over lapped each other's area...yea they're normally fairly easy to dodge. But I was in one position for a bit of time trying to get to the stone.

"And they are not Varla Stones just so ya know"

Are you sure? If that's the case I'm going to feel VERY stupid lol

Going in game right now...I'll be back

Regards,

Pepsiboy
04-13-06, 08:15 PM
No im pretty sure they are just black shooting-blow-up-stuff-that-moves stones.

Rolland
04-13-06, 09:28 PM
Ok...went back in :)

The Ruins are in the Great Forest area and it's called "Elenglynn" (cool name btw) ;)

And here's the story,

The stones that are casting/firing are Red and they are Varla stones. If you get close enough and point to them it'll say something like Varla stone case or something like that.

The Blue glowing stones on the walls are "Welkynd" stones and they will charge your Magicka to 100% (single useage) and they're gone, no recharging these. I found that you CAN shoot these (go to the left or right of them to knock them all the way off the pillars) and recover them.

Couldn't do anything to get the Red/Varla stones though :(

But it was worth a try lol

Thanks for the input and suggestions ALL, and GOOD Hunting out there!

Regards,

ps - the White Varla stones are the ones we find, the Red try to kill you heh

Ancient
04-13-06, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info Ancient :)

On another forum I was told to hit "any" glowing Blue buttons I might see or find. (which i always have done)That this may unlock to stones.

I always thought the buttons opened the doors that were locked, never looked at the pillars and the stones lol

So I guess I can try that as well, keep us posted on your run!

Regards,
I know the place you're talking about since I went through it yesterday, and there's a lot of good stuff in there. :)

The Varla stones that I picked up were scattered on the floor of a large room, about 7 or 8 of them. Had to kill a few bandits first. A couple were planted in holders on top of some small obelisks in another room. I don't remember anything shooting magic at me though. And they were easily reachable.

There are some blue glowing stones on a couple of obelisks (three stones on each obelisk) that you press to open some doors in one particular room.

Other than that, I'm still not sure if we're all speaking the same language on this subject. :D

I wish I had time to check it out right now.

Edit: Had my response typed up for a while before posting it and just saw your response.

We were talking about two completely different places. :) Though they have similar components.

I wonder though. If you can point at those Red varla stones and they are identified, it seems there would have to be a way to get to them?