PDA

View Full Version : Is the GeForce FX a failure?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ATI LoVeR 9700
01-28-03, 05:46 PM
I mean, it's late, its slow, it's hot, it's buggy, it's big, it's noisy, it's ugly, and the output is nasty. I think it failed(as an overall product, launch included).

jAkUp
01-28-03, 05:54 PM
yes it failed. it did not meet the expectations that even nvidia set for it... that classifies as a failure. ive owned 3dfx cards, as well as nvidia, and i must say, this is very dissapointing as i was hoping to get one.

Grrrpoop
01-28-03, 06:00 PM
I voted "No" because I just think it's a disappointment.

It's both better and worse than the 9700Pro, and tho I freely admit I would never dream of buying a GFFX, there are still ppl who are considering buying one.

I understand how ppl can and will classify it as a failure tho, like JaKup said, expectations were extremely high.

The Baron
01-28-03, 06:19 PM
No.

You'll see my reasoning in a few days... should be on the front page. :p

fantomas
01-28-03, 07:23 PM
overpriced

overhyped

over rated :)

AthlonXP1800
01-28-03, 07:29 PM
Why decide now GeforceFX a failure, no it not a failure cos the reviewers done something in the wrong way and also the driver more likely have the features disabled, it should be enabled while it hit stores. Give it a time like 3 months just like what happened to Radeon 9700 when it launched, it had buggy drivers, 3 months later it fixed. Nvidia will do that way and also Bush will do the same way to Saddam. :)

Be patient :D

jAkUp
01-28-03, 07:35 PM
ati still kills this card even with beta drivers... nvidia has had more than enough time to tune drivers

Tyger
01-28-03, 07:41 PM
i'm hoping FX will out perform better then 9700 pro in Directx 9.0 enabled games/benchmarks......
if it does,
i buy it for sure....

jAkUp
01-28-03, 07:42 PM
you arent gonna be seeing directx9 based games for a while.... at least a couple of years.

Tyger
01-28-03, 07:43 PM
then benchmarks then......3DMark2003

jAkUp
01-28-03, 07:44 PM
except for that :D

Tyger
01-28-03, 07:45 PM
there's always hope........:(
yeah,... been telling myself for the last couple of days.......

DEM BONES
01-28-03, 07:49 PM
Did you really just say you hope FX will beat the 9700 in Benchmarks?

Who cares about benchmarks! What about actual gaming performance?

Failure.

Any new card should smoke the competitors offering, or why bring it? Nevermind asking people to pay $400 for it.
:afro:

legion88
01-28-03, 07:50 PM
This is a poor survey. What does "failure" mean? It has to be defined for the survey/poll to be of any real use. Not defining "failure" means that people would just use any criteria for "failure" that suits their fanboy desires, their fanboy expectations.

Clearly, the GF FX is faster than any NVIDIA-based video card. It clearly supports more features than any NVIDIA-based video card. Some would argue that it supports more features than any video card, regardless of maker.

It just so happens that when the price is taken into consideration, the FX is the second-best video card in the market today in terms of performance--second only to the Radeon 9700Pro.

Normally, a silver medal is not considered a "failure".

scott123
01-28-03, 07:51 PM
the fx is not a failure. It is a .13 GPU, but the failure was Nvidia couldn't face the fact the fx is still prototype and not ready for the mass market. That is the failure.

Scott

Tyger
01-28-03, 07:51 PM
that's not what i mean
i am just hoping that FX performs alot better with DX9.0...

creedamd
01-28-03, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by legion88
This is a poor survey. What does "failure" mean? It has to be defined for the survey/poll to be of any real use. Not defining "failure" means that people would just use any criteria for "failure" that suits their fanboy desires, their fanboy expectations.

Clearly, the GF FX is faster than any NVIDIA-based video card. It clearly supports more features than any NVIDIA-based video card. Some would argue that it supports more features than any video card, regardless of maker.

It just so happens that when the price is taken into consideration, the FX is the second-best video card in the market today in terms of performance--second only to the Radeon 9700Pro.

Normally, a silver medal is not considered a "failure".

I wouldn't even consider it a silver medal, I dam sure wouldn't take my 4400 out of my quiet machine to stick that lousy thing in, I see this card being in between an 8500 and a ti4200 because of the noise and heat. I definite failure for the price.

Shinri Hikari
01-28-03, 07:56 PM
There is a growing body of evidence that drivers ARE a big reason the FX isn't doing so hot. Remember PATIENCE is a virtue and we probably will see an improvement. Nvidia is trying to go long term with the FX, especially in features, plus the fact that it's the first video card they've used the 0.13u process. :cool2:
So hold on to your seat because the next full refresh(NV40) is going to Kick A**. :D

R9700PRO
01-28-03, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tyger
that's not what i mean
i am just hoping that FX performs alot better with DX9.0... direct x 9 just got released, it takes years for coders to make it all work, we are just starting to get x8 games out, x9 is 1 to 2 years down the line and by then, there will be something faster and more advanced by both companies, when I go and fork over $400 I don't do it to play tommorows games like 1-2 years away, but todays games that I can actually play now, what kind of reasoning is that, it sounds absurd.

Nv40
01-28-03, 08:51 PM
how can the Geforcefx ultra be a failure ?

anyone here thinks the radeon 8500 was a failure because it shipped severel months later than the geforce3 and with slower
performance and full of bugs in their drivers ,with disable features?

didnt the radeon8500 improved later the image quality
and performance with drivers ?

-it shipped with "extra features" directx8.1
the GeforceFX too.. PS+/VS+ and 128bits pixels shaders color precision. and new antialiasing modes to play...

-the performance of the GeforceFx is as good as the Radeon9700 pro... 3 sites saw that..

-yes its not a radeon9700pro killer ,, the radeon8500 was not
a geforce3 killer too..

-how can be a failure a card that will surely score better in Doom3 than the radeon9700pro?

Doom3 benchmarks will be measured in RAW FPS and medium resolutions.. so the extra bandwidht of the R300 its not gonna help them there..

-how can it be a failure a card that scored 2x times faster
in some benchmarks than the radeon9700pro ?
in syntetic benchmarks like 3dmark and codecreatures
clearly suggest that the Geforcefx will have a good advantage in direcxtx9 games...

-is the problem is that is too expensive ? $399
then try the non ultra for $299.. and overclok it.
which is competitive with the radeon9700 non pro..
also the prices will be lower in short time..
the incoming competition r350 and rv350 will make nvidia
lower the prices more..

yes it is late.. but better late than never!
Nvidia is working with game developers ,right now there are game that will be optimized for Nvidia NV30 EXtra features and Cg..

nvidia drivers team department alone is a feature too..
how can that be a failure ?

how can the geforcefx be a failure ? ... a card that is 2-3 times
faster than the geforce4.... ?

wake up people.. ,there are now TWO
cards that will play all games with all the candy on...
sure ATi have a acouple of features Nvidia dont have ,and Nvidia
a couple of features that ATi dont have too..

yes many are dissapointed because is not a radeon9700pro killer
but as i said.. is overall neck to neck is to the R300.. sometimes a bit faster and sometimes a bit slower .. i think this is deserve
some kind of credit for a 128bit bus card..

yes it has probably a loud fan.. but i think is not something like
a too big issue , to believe it will be impossible for you to enjoy your games...

for hardcore gamers that usually have everything in their machine
overcloked with many fans ,it will not be a big deal the
dustbuster fan..

Jeez...
dont let this ATi fans that hates so much Nvidia
to stutters your brains about what is a good card and what is not.

just buy the damn card ..
i mean the good card.. GeforceFx ultra..
test it .. nothing better that
your own experience to know how good the card it is..
if you dont like it , you can return it back .. and have your money
back . or send it to me.. i will be happy to trade it for my geforce4 :)

ErrorS
01-28-03, 09:09 PM
lol.. really i have alot of respect for you fans not losing 'faith' in nvidia..

oh and yes i did consider a R8500 a failure.. until ATi dropped the price to $90 and fixed alot of the driver problems.. it ended up being one of the best less costly cards on the market..

i hope nVidia follows trend and drops the price of the GFFX to $150 or so :D i'd buy one in an instant for that price..

but yes.. IMHO as of RIGHT NOW GFFX is a big failure.. but its still not on store shelves, so the only thing failing is the preview card.. dunno who here buys preproduction cards made just for previews

AthlonXP1800
01-28-03, 09:15 PM
HANG ON, Direct X 9 is not really FINAL as Microsoft was told, it still has to be updated, the final code could be out in Spring 2003, it seem DirectX 9 was out in a big hurry last Dec 2002.

Megatron
01-28-03, 09:51 PM
I have to vote yes.
Not because its a bad card per se...but because they had almost 6 months to pick apart the Radeon 9700 and make sure their card would demolish it.

Many delays later....and it doesnt.

This card would have been fine if launched at the same time as 9700.
But now it seems to be nothing more than a "me too" offering, with quite a few negatives.

Bigus Dickus
01-28-03, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by legion88

So says the self proclaimed keeper of all truths.

Why is the poll a poor survey? Why does it have to explicitly define failure?

If the poll is attempting to survey people's opinions of whether or not the NV30 is a failure in their opinion, by whatever criteria they deem important, then it is not a poor survey.

Would this be a poor survey: "Do you think President Bush is a good president?" Huh? You better think carefully about that, since it is such a commonly used poll question, and no where is "good" explicitly defined by any specific criteria. It is left up to the survey respondents to judge for themselves what makes a president "good" (international policy, economic policy/economic performance, morals, etc.) and then judge him by that criteria.

In short... you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You just don't "like" the poll, and in your typical fashion attempt to construct an argument that looks reasonable at a cursory glance but is in fact vaccuous bull****. Hmm... I seem to remember you doing this in the past of a few occasions. :rolleyes:

Bigus Dickus
01-28-03, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Shinri Hikari
So hold on to your seat because the next full refresh(NV40) is going to Kick A**. :D
Yes, hold on... for about another 18 or more months.