PDA

View Full Version : Do you think future patches will increase fps?

Farmor123
04-13-06, 09:20 PM
Do you think future patches will increase fps?

killahsin
04-13-06, 09:22 PM
yes of course they will. I'm sure thats one of the main things on bethsedas agenda outside of bug fixes and so forth. As well as one of the main agendas on driver teams for both ihv's.

SH64
04-13-06, 10:00 PM
Maybe ... i'll be optimistic :)
though i'm depending on the display drivers to improve performance rather than upcoming patches.

5H4RP
04-13-06, 10:40 PM
No.

Wait let me rephrase that.

HELL no.

If you know anything about Betheseda and their past, historically none of their patches have fixed performance. Bugs yes, performance no.
:thumbdwn:

killahsin
04-13-06, 10:59 PM
actually they did fix some of morrowinds performance issues by patch. Not all could be fixed though. but the data cache issues were fixed. you also have to remember they liscense engines, so it really also depends on how much the develoeprs of that engine are going to charge the studio to 'work' with them to resolve alot of fundemental problems. With the sales of oblivion I'm very optimistic this time around.

5H4RP
04-13-06, 11:43 PM
Yes I am fully aware that Bethesedas licenses Gamebryo. Which IMHO is a lousy engine that are stuck with since they have alot of legacy code there. And because of that we are stuck with these performance problems. Huge ones. Just like Morrowind was. Just like Daggerfall was (different engine though).

The idea that I have to edit an INI for almost a full weekend is ridiculous. I love the game but there is something wrong with a game from a technical and engineering standpoint when a veteran game dev has to spend his weekend hand editing an ini to make it run at acceptable rates on fairly high end PC. I feel sorry for people with low end - to mid end PCs who don't know how to hack the INI or multiple defrags or understand the importance of video ram/paging files/cache, etc. I guess that's why we have the 360 and tweakguides. :)

XxDeadlyxX
04-14-06, 04:30 AM
Yeah, especially the line between the distance LOD and the close-up grids... I mean the dividing line looks like ass :( They could have at least made it blend between the two or something... It looks ugly as hell when you have this big line with two completely different looks on each side in a very visible place :thumbdwn:

Unless someone figures out how to fix it

Mr. Hunt
04-14-06, 05:07 AM
Yes, but you will be charged 1.99 for it for PC or 2.49 for Xbox 360 performance.

rflair
04-14-06, 07:14 AM
Yes I am fully aware that Bethesedas licenses Gamebryo. Which IMHO is a lousy engine that are stuck with since they have alot of legacy code there. And because of that we are stuck with these performance problems. Huge ones. Just like Morrowind was. Just like Daggerfall was (different engine though).

The idea that I have to edit an INI for almost a full weekend is ridiculous. I love the game but there is something wrong with a game from a technical and engineering standpoint when a veteran game dev has to spend his weekend hand editing an ini to make it run at acceptable rates on fairly high end PC. I feel sorry for people with low end - to mid end PCs who don't know how to hack the INI or multiple defrags or understand the importance of video ram/paging files/cache, etc. I guess that's why we have the 360 and tweakguides. :)

You have seen the scope of this game, Comparing the 360 to the PC is ridiculous, the 360 runs the game at what 1280x720 which most 'fairly high end' pc's could run with ease and manage a better look and smoothness.

The engine has legacy code? Don't they all?

My buddy is playing with an ATI x800GTO on a P4 2.4GHz and is loving it.

All in all I'm just saying for what the game has going on it is a job well done.
Don't compare it to a FPS shooter, the scope of a FPS shooter doesn't even come close.

killahsin
04-14-06, 02:49 PM
Ok well on some of your points i semi agree with yah. But considering the only tweaking i've done to my ini is to make the graphics go further then the max details settings I'll have to disagree with you as well. I have a AMD 3000 64 venice, 1 gig of xms ram, a 8 mb sata hd, and a 7900 gt, with a hd24bit sblive card. i am nowhere near high-end except for one component. And Yet im at 2x the rendering distance on tree's and grass. Turned off allowing partial percision and turned on 3.0. Have added nothing but higher detail textures/maps to the lod terrain(thanks capn) as well as higher detail normal maps for all the races. And i run at very acceptable frame rates. The only bad thing about the engine that I can spot out, as in really bad, is the self shadowing method they went with. Which I'm hoping because of the games success either the IHV's or the dev's, or the shader modding community will replace. Most of those things are the reason I'm a PC gamer. A reason which alot of dev's stopped supporting the past 5 years. The ability to tweak the engine to heaven and back. I mean speaking for myself thats why I'm a PC gamer. I may not represent the majority. Now I didn't have to tweak it. It ran fine on max details as it was. Ive just doubled up everyything.

Tygerwoody
04-14-06, 03:36 PM
Yes, but you will be charged 1.99 for it for PC or 2.49 for Xbox 360 performance.
:lol2:

You are probably right

I would be surprised if they had payment plans. "For 12 EASY payments of 2.49, you will received a performance increase! Thats not all!!! Call today and we will include FREE SHADOWS!!!! Don't hesitate! Call right now!!!"

:D

CaptNKILL
04-14-06, 03:42 PM
:lol2:

You are probably right

I would be surprised if they had payment plans. "For 12 EASY payments of 2.49, you will received a performance increase! Thats not all!!! Call today and we will include FREE SHADOWS!!!! Don't hesitate! Call right now!!!"

:D
Id be all over that sh** :D:D:D

Mr. Hunt
04-14-06, 04:15 PM
I probably would pay 1.99 right now for bug fixes... nothing is more annoying than these freaking random crashes.

5H4RP
04-14-06, 10:11 PM
And i run at very acceptable frame rates. The only bad thing about the engine that I can spot out, as in really bad, is the self shadowing method they went with. Which I'm hoping because of the games success either the IHV's or the dev's, or the shader modding community will replace.

I'm going to disagree here. I am running with everything maxed like you. What I don't find acceptable is the horrible popin on forts, rocks, etc. Also running around on horseback with it loading every 4-6 secs is so bad that'd I just rather run the length of it or just fast travel. On the super low rez reflections on distant textures. Is this the sign of a good engine? No.

Like I've said I love the gameplay but hate their engineering. :) Just I like I love their environments, but hate most of their characters (and especially that hair, yeesh).

But that's me. YMMV. Yep the mod community to the rescue again. Kind of a nice little system Beth has, we'll make the game, but you guys fix it. We're sleepy.

agentkay
04-14-06, 10:19 PM
I probably would pay 1.99 right now for bug fixes... nothing is more annoying than these freaking random crashes.

They just started today after I decided to load the game with the default ini. lol

sillyeagle
04-14-06, 11:35 PM

Yeah I get probably 3-4 system reboots, lockups, or system shutdowns every play session. Acts like hardware issues but I've never had a single stability problem until Oblivion, and dropping my system to default clocks doesn't prevent any of it.