PDA

View Full Version : Help! BSoD SLI-related problem

Pages : [1] 2

fps_dean
04-13-06, 10:35 PM
I was told by a friend to ask for assistance here. Sorry if this is not the right forum, but I did not know where to post this.

A few weeks ago I received my new computer. A beautiful systemax hellcat that is blazingly fast and gets insane fps etc. However I have one problem. Almost always after I've been gaming for a while, I get a blue screen of death reporting "DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." The files that Windows reports as generating the errror are often different, and the two that I caught before it rebooted (which is very fast so it's hard to get much of the error) were "videoprt.sys" and "nv_mini.sys." If I turn SLI off, I never have any problems.

I actually had it working perfectly stable for a while. What I had done was installed Forceware version 77.77 which is the last version before mixed vendor support which I noticed many people suggested to others with similiar issues on various forums, along with the nForce drivers that shipped with the system and I think every driver that came with my system other than possibly a newer sound driver (I forget) and the video which I upgraded to 77.77 froom 77.76 for greatly improved performance. Then when I turned on multi-GPU rendering (which is what I want anyway) it ran all fine and dandy. But I decided to see if the same thing would work in server 2003 (both XP and 2003 have the exact same problem) and it did not.

I have read somewhere that X-Fi soundcards, maybe just the older firmwares, had problems, and others have said that the AMD 64 X2s had problems with SLI. But most people said that it's a Windows error? I can't believe that I can game as long as I want but when I exit, I get a BSoD and there is nothing I can do about it. Any ideas?

Also for whatever reason I cannot transfer a large amount from my external hard drive before the system freezes with a similiar error - it is between 4-7 gb, as one file or a group of files at once before it starts to become a problem. However I can transfer as much as I like from a cd, dvd or hard drive to hard drive. I do believe that the mouse and external hard drive have an irq conflict the usb port, as it has blue screened and when it rebooted, windows was not regonizing the mouse and I was able to transfer whatever I wanted.

I just thought of one random possibility but it's a long shot as I was writing this - perhaps the usb hub on the external hard drive somehow creates a problem? It couldn't be the hard drive because I have it off 99% the time. I did have the hard drive unplugged for a while at one point which may be when I had it working perfectly for a while. I do not think that is the problem, but I tried unplugging it. I can always access it from my laptop via the lan if need be.

The system specs are:
CPU: AMD 64 X2 4800+
RAM: 2 GB (2x1024) Corsair Pro PC3200
GPU: 2xBFG 7800GTX 256MB
AUDIO: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (onboard C-Audio is disabled)
Hard Drives: 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA (boot), 250gb SATA (storage)
Optical Drives: Sony DVD+R, Sony Combo Drive
Motherboard: Biostar N4A9-SLI

Did Microsoft release a fix for XP for this? (My copy of XP on this thing is not legit to be completely honest... but it will be as of tomorrow as I ordered a copy, I swear).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

SLippe
04-14-06, 12:54 AM
I believe there is an X2 patch for WinXP, but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't know if it would show up under Windows Update for you or if you have to go a certain site manually and d/l and install it. Correct me if I'm wrong on this X2 users. As for your main problem, I dunno. There's always the old suggestion of uninstalling your current drivers, reboot, run DriverCleaner Pro doing the Driver.cab first then the NVidia filter. Then install the new drivers, I suggest the 84.43 set just released on NVidia's NZone. Other than that, I've got nothin'.

fps_dean
04-14-06, 04:16 AM
I think I found something, but I'm not sure. After it crashed, I took a good look through BIOS. I noticed that PCIE Spread Spectrum was disabled, so I enabled it. I think I have seen irq port 18 show up on at least a blue screen if not more which is my first video card's IRQ. So it seems that if pci-e slots have their own frequency, than that should eliminate unwanted crosstalk and solve the problem? I gamed briefly and had the system up for a good two hours (idling for nearly one though but regardless) and it did not blue screen, where normally it would have.

However I did load up F.E.A.R. and the game froze on me. I hit the power button and I got another blue screen that said something different, I forget but I think may have been related to me pressing the button rather than a random error.

My install of XP is really screwed up with a bunch of random errors at the moment as well (it maintained some security settings I set and later realised were not what I thought they were and would not change them back and DEP keeps closing random windows components).

Thanks SLippe. I will try the nZone drivers you recommend. Also this XP patch is in fact an XP patch and not just the AMD driver (which I have) correct?

nekrosoft13
04-14-06, 10:30 AM
i had the same excact problem before

i noticed that both of my 7800GTs had a different version fo bios

one was something.07 and second was something.02

i moved the card with .02 to bottom and .07 to first slot, and no BSOD up to date.

weird right?

fps_dean
04-14-06, 10:54 AM
i had the same excact problem before

i noticed that both of my 7800GTs had a different version fo bios

one was something.07 and second was something.02

i moved the card with .02 to bottom and .07 to first slot, and no BSOD up to date.

weird right?
How do I check the BIOS on both cards? I only know how to get it for the first one (which has a .02 somewhere in it).

SLippe
04-14-06, 11:57 AM
I think I found something, but I'm not sure. After it crashed, I took a good look through BIOS. I noticed that PCIE Spread Spectrum was disabled, so I enabled it. I think I have seen irq port 18 show up on at least a blue screen if not more which is my first video card's IRQ. So it seems that if pci-e slots have their own frequency, than that should eliminate unwanted crosstalk and solve the problem? I gamed briefly and had the system up for a good two hours (idling for nearly one though but regardless) and it did not blue screen, where normally it would have.

However I did load up F.E.A.R. and the game froze on me. I hit the power button and I got another blue screen that said something different, I forget but I think may have been related to me pressing the button rather than a random error.

My install of XP is really screwed up with a bunch of random errors at the moment as well (it maintained some security settings I set and later realised were not what I thought they were and would not change them back and DEP keeps closing random windows components).

Thanks SLippe. I will try the nZone drivers you recommend. Also this XP patch is in fact an XP patch and not just the AMD driver (which I have) correct?
You would be better off disabling all Spread Spectrum settings in your BIOS.

fps_dean
04-14-06, 12:04 PM
I have it enabled and I was just playing F.E.A.R for a hour and it's still working.

It seems that it should mimimize conflicts with my pcie bus (ie video) which is my problem, no?

SLippe
04-14-06, 12:07 PM
I have it enabled and I was just playing F.E.A.R for a hour and it's still working.

It seems that that would minimize conflicts, yes?
Depends, if you have anything overclocked, then disable it, if you don't, then don't worry about it. Me personally, I've never had it enabled on any mobo I've owned. I just know it can cause problems when you have an overclocked system. If it's running fine for you, then I guess I wouldn't mess with it. You might run the same benchmark with it enabled and disabled and see, but doubt you'll tell anything, but if you start getting lockups or bsod's, then you know.

nekrosoft13
04-14-06, 01:10 PM
How do I check the BIOS on both cards? I only know how to get it for the first one (which has a .02 somewhere in it).

my BFGs have a small label on the board

fps_dean
04-14-06, 01:42 PM
Depends, if you have anything overclocked, then disable it, if you don't, then don't worry about it. Me personally, I've never had it enabled on any mobo I've owned. I just know it can cause problems when you have an overclocked system. If it's running fine for you, then I guess I wouldn't mess with it. You might run the same benchmark with it enabled and disabled and see, but doubt you'll tell anything, but if you start getting lockups or bsod's, then you know.
Ah, my video cards are BFGs - slightly OC'd from spec but other than that I'm not OCing anything. I disabled it and got the drivers you recommened (just did a control panel uninstall though) and it seems absolutely fine. I did set power management to S3 (but I wasn't idling.... would that matter) and SLI Broadcast Aperature from Auto to Enabled and I also disabled usb keyboard and mouse in bios (ie let the OS handle it... I was thinking they were required in BIOS) and it seems absolutely fine now.

I'll keep you guys updated. Going to install a legit copy of XP too...

Thanks for all the help everyone. You guys rock ;)

SLippe
04-14-06, 03:50 PM
Ah, my video cards are BFGs - slightly OC'd from spec but other than that I'm not OCing anything. I disabled it and got the drivers you recommened (just did a control panel uninstall though) and it seems absolutely fine. I did set power management to S3 (but I wasn't idling.... would that matter) and SLI Broadcast Aperature from Auto to Enabled and I also disabled usb keyboard and mouse in bios (ie let the OS handle it... I was thinking they were required in BIOS) and it seems absolutely fine now.

I'll keep you guys updated. Going to install a legit copy of XP too...

Thanks for all the help everyone. You guys rock ;)
Good to hear. Keep us posted.

garikfox
04-14-06, 06:17 PM
Make sure to keep the SLI Broadcast Aperture, DISABLED. (nana2)

fps_dean
04-14-06, 08:12 PM
Make sure to keep the SLI Broadcast Aperture, DISABLED. (nana2)
I only had auto and enable as options. Are you sure or are you messing with me?

Dudes__Geof_
04-14-06, 11:55 PM
It's plausible some motherboards will have a 'disable' feature.. probably best if you run yours set to auto in this case.

fps_dean
04-15-06, 10:23 AM
No but I'm pretty sure that auto or enabled if present is one of the requirements for SLI isn't it? At least according to SLIzone it is.

It appears to be working. I got some random stop error after playing the original UnrealTournament (and changing resolution, color depth and image quality among other things) however. There was no blue screen but when I restarted it said "the system has reported a serious error," and while it does not tell you your specific error anymore, what it did tell me appeared to be a little different. I can only pray that UT has some issues with SLI (I can turn it off and still max that game out) or that was an issue with the 84.43 driver.

What is wierd is that when Windows loaded up, a screen that says "this system is not configured for SLI" popped up. I had that a couple times in Windows 2003 server too with the newer drivers and kept turning my hardware acceleration off although it was not showing it on the slider. I just shut down, and powered back up and everything works absolutely fine.

When I get home tonight I should find out for sure if I am good or not. If not I'm going to cash in on the warranty.

*keeps fingers crossed*

fps_dean
04-16-06, 12:43 AM
I got two different errors now. The usual one, and another one which seems to be the NAM one. I have removed NAM but it wont completely remove itself so I formatted AGAIN.

I tried formating to get rid of a bunch of drivers that would not completely uninstall, such as NAM and the USB drivers and I did not install the SATA/RAID drivers which I have also been hearing enough horror stories about to fill the next edition of the darwin awards.

Windows recognizes my SATA drives as IDE drives. They seem to work but that's unexpected at least to me. Is this going to be an issue, speed or stability wise? And can I JUST install nvidias SATA drivers and not ide?

fps_dean
04-16-06, 02:42 PM
I could be wrong about this, but I think that if Windows can write to the drive then it really should not effect speed and it does not matter if it sees it as IDE or SATA?

Then again Windows does recognize the SATA drives as DMA 6 which I am not sure if that's a theoretical limitation assuming I could achive full speed from the drive anyway? ...I doubt it actually is because drive speed is usually less than the port speed anyway.

Does the AMD processor driver have issues too perhaps (although that would be my last culprit other than possibly my mouse drivers).

Any idea why it blue screens though?

fps_dean
04-16-06, 10:00 PM
It's an Ultra X2-Connect 550 Watt PSU. I've tried various memtests and they all came up good. It was actually one of the first things that I did (was my first guess). My next hardware guess is a bad video card or faulty video ram. Could be a bad PSU as you mentioned as well, that would do it.

I'd like to think that new hardware would not be bad. Unless anyone has anything else I can try that I haven't, I'm going to cash in on my 3 year warranty.

fps_dean
04-17-06, 12:06 PM
Alright I have a barebones install of windows with only...

the SMBus and Ethernet drivers from the nForce4 for AMD 6.70 installed. No IDE/SATA drivers and by all means no NAM. Using Forceware version 84.21.

No sound
No mouse driver
No AMD chipset driver

Played BF2 for a hour tried to load as many maps as I could because when it loads stuff is when it has a problem, exited and loaded up Special Forces, games some more, then let it sit in game for another half hour while I was doing stuff, exited and so far, so good.

If in fact I am good right now, then either the sound driver for the X-Fi XtremeMusic card is the problem, or it was the IDE drivers. Seems like it's the IDE drivers but the error I am getting is a video error where most people with IDE driver issues seemed to just get corrupted data?

Like I said I've never been so stumped on a pc problem in my whole life. Ironically, second place was my last PC but at least with that I narrowed it down to two things... troubleshoting anyone else's computers is always cake :(

EDIT: Didn't work, although it took longer to blue screen this time if nothing else.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware edition on a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic? And possibly update it? I am curious as to if I have the old firmware that had issues with NF4 chipsets.

fps_dean
04-20-06, 01:51 AM
It looks like I've identified the problem. Bad stick of RAM.

I'll give it a couple more days to be sure but this time seems like I've definitely got it (never got F.E.A.R. up for 2 hours without it crashing....)

Manware
04-20-06, 09:34 AM
Have you got in your bios a option like a "peg link" in the Asus motherboard?
If in your MB you have a option to accelerate the performance graphics maybe you should see what is the preset in this option.
I have a several problems with my SLI and in my MB asus a8n32 there is a option called "peglink" I put in "auto" and the problems are out.
I dont know if your bios have a option like this or "SLI performance" but you should see it.

good luck

fps_dean
04-20-06, 10:58 AM
^^ Not an asus, but I am very confident that it was a bad stick of RAM. I got 45 minutes on CS:S with no problems and later, I got 2 hours on F.E.A.R (F.E.A.R. will usually induce the issue in 30 minutes and often crash in game) and then a bit on Doom 3 and Far Cry without a reboot and no problems ;)

The Bigman
04-20-06, 06:08 PM
I got one for you guys. Peglink is set to auto in my bios, my friend says set it to faster or fastest. We did that and when i was in windows for awhile the system rebooted and when i set it back to auto i went into event viewer and looked under hardware and found nv error. saying nv_dsp went into an infinate loop. know this sli not agp which this was notorious with via and agp.

Whats this option for and they give me disable normal fast faster fastest.

How can i troubleshoot this for no nv errors?

fps_dean
04-23-06, 09:14 PM
I don't think I even have a peglink setting.

I tried both sticks of RAM one at a time. With the first one, I got a decent amount of time with F.E.A.R. and then the next day, I played CS a little while and then it BSoD'd again. I swapped RAM sticks and got a good couple days of a lot of use, both gaming and not before it blue screened while I was right in the middle of creating a Powerpoint.

It seems to be more stable since I set the Ram timings and voltage manually in the BIOS. Not sure if it was more stable with one stick of RAM than it was with those BIOS settings. I noticed that my RAM wants 2.6 volts (I think 2.6-2.75 is okay though) and my BIOS only has 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 as an option.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Stanley Pain
04-24-06, 11:02 AM
I had a very similar problem.

Specs as follows:

CPU: 3800+ X2
Mobo: Asus A8N-Sli-Deluxe
Video: 2x BFG 7800GTXs
PSU: Ennermax Liberty 500w
Sound: HDA X-plosion

Prior to going SLI, I would get BSODs with just one card in. Got another card just to test to see if that was the problem (after checking another PSU, Harddrives, etc). Guess what, the new card didn't blue screen. RMA'd it back to BFG got a "new" card and both have been working great since.

I would call up BFG and get the card RMA'd.